New Status Of Gpsp (gba) Dynarec

I fixed the palette (color) issue. Was a simple fix luckily. One more bug to go!

Gotta say, this is amazing news. Thanks for your amazing work, zodttd.
Like many here I think a fullspeed GBA will be a colossal addition to the GP2X.
Honestly since I first saw the other thread some weeks ago, I've reserved space on my Emulator SD card for my GBA roms :blink:.

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 05:55 PM said:
I fixed the palette (color) issue. Was a simple fix luckily. One more bug to go!

Great news really.

Just don't burn yourself out :p While we are anxious for the release, no need to rush though.

Thanks for the great work here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Getting my 4GB SD card cleared up a bit now.....can't wait!
:rolleyes:

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 06:44 PM said:
UPDATE!

I got the dynarec working! It's loading every game I throw at it!
It's fullspeed on parts that were very slow (such as Super Mario Bros 4 for the GBA).

There is an issue where during certain parts of certain games, things slow down to a crawl. Once that bug, and a palette (color) bug is fixed, we'll be on our way towards a release.

This is indeed very good news!
Will you put also all the other "Speed-up-things" in the Emulator like MMU Hack, 2.CPU usage a la Picodrive...and magical power to have full Speed Emularor at 200MHz? ;)

sixela posted on Mar 6 2007 at 06:22 PM said:

Getting my 4GB SD card cleared up a bit now.....can't wait!
:rolleyes:

*REALLY wishing 8 GB cards worked on the GP2X * ;)

Wow! I actually just got a thrill of excitement. Still don't rush, always worth a little touching up on Gui's etc - though that often ends up breaking things for some reason... Thanks for all the hard work Zodttd!

Heheh - I noticed a post boost. Wow. Just... Wow.

I wonder if there's any chance this'll be done by Friday? I'm off to France early Saturday. *Crosses fingers* (but no pressure :) )

The thought that I could be playing Mario Golf Advance tour on my gp2x today is very appealing to me.

There's no real good golf games for the legacy systems, nothing like Hot Shots Golf or Mario Golf :(

lols, dotbin found ^_^b

Heh, GUI's aren't my thing as you can tell. ;)

I already have overclocking implemented. If HW SDL doesn't conflict with the MMU patch, I can add that easily. Ram tweakings might help too but I haven't added those yet to any of my code.

Well those tweaks might not be needed as much this time around though...
Two tests with different results:
1. Worse case scenario would be Super Mario Bros 4 (this occurs in other games too right now) where things will be lightning fast and then at a certain point in the game speed goes to a crawl. It's probably the translation cache size. I might be able to easily fix this.
2. Best scenario would be a game like Advance Wars 2 where I was able to easily play the game at what appears to me to be fullspeed at *** 200MHz meaning no OCing! ***. This is confirmed by testing at 266MHz and things running the same playable speed. This is also impressive since the interpreter had a hard time with this game!

So some games might not be playable the first release, but others will be very playable for the first time. :)

There are still some minor bugs that can interfere with games, as I tested things out with a debugger GBA ROM and theres a few instructions giving problems. They will get sorted out soon enough.

Also keep in mind this is a very bloated dynarec, known as a "C Dynarec". Instead of doing something smart like Squidge was doing, or even something decent like most dynarecs would do, I call a lot of external functions to handle operations the ARM processor can do natively via its own instruction set. So this is not a 1:1 instruction conversion dynarec at all. It definitely will be getting the job done though! :)

I won't rush the development this time. I don't want to get burnt out. But a release is near. :)

Read the post above: A release by Friday seems doable. I'll see if I can take your Friday and beat it by 2 days. ;)

This is really great news, keep up the good work zodttd, but don't burn yourself out.

That said, I am looking forward to the release - cheered me up after a bad day :)

Is exophase still involved with the project?

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 07:00 PM said:
1. Worse case scenario would be Super Mario Bros 4 (this occurs in other games too right now) where things will be lightning fast and then at a certain point in the game speed goes to a crawl. It's probably the translation cache size. I might be able to easily fix this.

So some games might not be playable the first release, but others will be very playable for the first time. :)

There are still some minor bugs that can interfere with games, as I tested things out with a debugger GBA ROM and theres a few instructions giving problems. They will get sorted out soon enough.

Great, thanks again. Have you maybe asked Exophase about those bugs you have with the unexpected slowdown? He may have a good simple fix for that and may help you with it. He may save you some time, and headache, trying to figure it out.

Also I was wondering, would you consider adding that background border pic I did awhile ago for 1:1 mode? You wouldn't need a menu option or anything. If the image is there it would display it, if not present it will just give a default black border automatically.

Nice job and thanks :)

I fixed the "worst case scenario" bug already. Now games like Super Mario Bros 4 and Mario Kart Super Circuit are performing much better. ;)

I can add your border in the release after the upcoming one, as I have a feeling there will be a lot of tweaking to be done for this release. Consider the upcoming release a "rough draft" so I can see what people want. :)

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 07:18 PM said:
I fixed the "worst case scenario" bug already. Now games like Super Mario Bros 4 and Mario Kart Super Circuit are performing much better. ;)

I can add your border in the release after the upcoming one, as I have a feeling there will be a lot of tweaking to be done for this release. Consider the upcoming release a "rough draft" so I can see what people want. :)

In anticipation, I was thinking about Pokemon Emerald for some reason. But then I say to myself 'Auritribe, how will I trade pokemon without linking?'

A google here and there, and I found a Rom patch that allows for every single pokemon to be caught in some capacity on a single game file.

http://www.pokemonpalace.net/?id=downloads

Not sure if anyone else would be interested in this, but if there's any way we're gonna play pokemon on the GP2X, might as well have the most complete one possible.

Back