New Site > Gp2x Vs Psp

That comparision is too biased to be fair.
Eg, Yes the PSP's UMD movies are region coded, games are not and neither are the MP4s. Since the GP2x can only play encoded media files, games and NOT commercially brought media, I believe that makes them even.

cool...IMO, and judging by the chart the GP2X almost blows away the PSP (look at all the green "clear winner" boxes it has!)...

GO GP2X!

skate2live92 posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:59 PM said:
cool...IMO at and judging by the chart the GP2X almost blows away the PSP (look at all the green "clear winner" boxes it has!)...

GO GP2X!

really? comparing the GP2X to the PSP is like comparing a PC to a PS2 or PS3... one is a multi-purpose, can do many things pretty well machine... and the other is solely designed for 3D gaming...

if I wanted high quality commercial games I wouldnt even think about the GP2X, the only possible reason to buy a GP2X is if you plan to watch movies on the go or emulate old systems...

will we have high quality 3D commerical games? no... will we have any full proper games 2D or 3D? maybe... will we have emulators? yes... video playback? yes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Misleading: Doesn't comment about commercial game support.

Misleading: Free Open Souirce SDK is top notch for the PSP (ie: You don't need to spend big budget)

Incorrect: PSP CPU can be clocked ot 333 no problem, with real dev kit or open source one.

Its obviously a little biased :) Shane's a good lad though,

jeff

xafier posted on Oct 19 2005 at 02:59 PM said:
also don't believe we'll have WMV or WMA playback...

emulators, you cant specify yet as nothing has been released yet, and when they are, wont be all that playable for a while...
I doubt we'll have WMV or WMA playback at launch but it is only a matter of time before someone releases an unofficial patch.

Dave posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:08 PM said:

emulators, you cant specify yet as nothing has been released yet, and when they are, wont be all that playable for a while...
I doubt we'll have WMV or WMA playback at launch but it is only a matter of time before someone releases an unofficial patch.

we only have it on linux for the PC because they have wrappers for the windows x86 DLL's... unless you get code from bill gates I dont think we will ;)

and who cares? WMA sucks lol

skate2live92 posted on Oct 19 2005 at 07:59 PM said:
cool...IMO at and judging by the chart the GP2X almost blows away the PSP (look at all the green "clear winner" boxes it has!)...

GO GP2X!

i agree, not only that but the the psp has "problem features" and GP2X has none.

skeezix posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
Incorrect: PSP CPU can be clocked ot 333 no problem, with real dev kit or open source one.

Its something I've read and don't really understand about the PSP is why its clocked at 222Mhz from what I've read its not a battery life issue. If it is a battery issue it should have revised Battery Lifespan

MIPS vs ARM would be an interesting compaison lets see some dmips on there. From what I've read on the about DS vs PSP it makes interesting reading.

xafier posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:11 PM said:
Dave posted on Oct 19 2005 at 08:08 PM said:

we only have it on linux for the PC because they have wrappers for the windows x86 DLL's... unless you get code from bill gates I dont think we will ;)

and who cares? WMA sucks lol

I though and I could be talking toot. That linux could playback WMV 7/8 but not 9 of WMV without the x86 DLL's

Hehe, cool Shane again. Some people can't understand him at all. (very apparent from the post I made on the retrogamingradio gp2x preview) I think he's pretty cool though. The comparison has some errors but I don't think it's intentional. And yeah, it's probably written with retrogaming/emulation in mind. He's all about classic gaming.

Custom Memory Stick PRO Duo <- nothing custom about it, any brand should work.

4.3" - 480 x 272 TFT LCD <- You can't really say that it's clearly better, this screen is thinner.

161 g <- he is saying that this isn't a clear winner compared to 260 g? Percentage difference is huge.

PNG <- I thought GP2X could handle this?

The PSP's CPU is rated as 333mhz but commercial developers have stated they've been restricted to 222 and the reason I read (I believe it was an engadget article) was specifically for battery conservation.

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 19 2005 at 05:03 PM said:
PNG <- I thought GP2X could handle this?
It can :) .
Also wouldn't it be possible to integrate the .dlls from windows to allow higher .wmv playback? Or is there a big problem with it being written for x86?

wmv 1 and 2 can be viewed with open source software, which can be ported to the arm cpu.

wmv 3 (aka wmv9) can not be viewed using open source software. Wrappers for the windows dll can be used ONLY on x86 computers. So, no go for wmv 9 stuff.

VLC is an example of an open source player that can view wmv 1 and 2 videos.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

It is obviously biased. The PSP is much more powerful than the GP2X. 333 MHz +166 MHz on PSP vs one full 200 MHz plus one crippled 200 MHZ core on GP2X, PSP wins. There is no 3D chip in the GP2X either. Very misleading. Doesn't matter to me though I will have both.

Back