New Gp2x Site

tengen

Still Fresh
hey guys. just put up new gp2x site. it's pretty basic right now and about a week off from being done
but i've got big ideas for this one. check it out, leave feedback. (my first website by the way)

www.gp2xtreme.com

I should send you a medical bill for injuring my eyes with that gawd-awful 'modern art' image on the front page!

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 13 2006 at 05:28 PM said:
site didnt seem to work for me in firefox.

that's weird; i'm using firefox to view the site right now. sure you got the address right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Works for me in FF as well.

It's great, I just don't like the choice of colors. Great for a first, though.

i click on the buttons, nothing happens. I see a java script: void(0); in my status bar... rollovers work but nothing happens when i click buttons...

YakumoFuji posted on Sep 13 2006 at 09:00 PM said:
i click on the buttons, nothing happens. I see a java script: void(0); in my status bar... rollovers work but nothing happens when i click buttons...

Alright not to be a killjoy...hmm, wait, I am going to be a killjoy.

There is no need for another GP2X website that simply mirrors all the information already available for the handheld, especially a poorly designed one.

If you want to build a site, ditch the WYSIWYG editors (ie. Yahoo Sitebuilder, the one you used) and learn to write HTML on your own, without a fancy frontend. I know this kind of comment gets thrown around all the time, but it has some merit. Of course it's possible to build a good looking site using one, but you should understand what you're working with to set your foundation. Knowing HTML also allows you to save your source from looking like complete, overbloated crap that could have been done in a much cleaner way, in less space.

Some design tips, the graphics look cheap, especially the random clipart/images you didn't actually make yourself. Next, it's generally a bad idea to use more than one or two typefaces on a single page, it tires the eyes and looks ugly, and non-uniform. It makes the site look like a random mishmash of crap.

The large image with the overlay of the logo makes absolutely no sense, especially in it's placement. Your page also overflows for far too long for no reason. Also, what's the deal with your lines seperating your news entries, why use underscores when the horizontal rule tag (< hr >) is available?

Consistency is the key to good webdesign. You should strive to not make it look like it's your first time using your pirated copy of photoshop. (A fair assumption, feel free to correct me)

You should want your webpage to contain useful information, easily accessible and preferably unavailable elsewhere. You need something to draw users to keep visiting the site, not just visit it once after you spam it on a forum. Try covering an original aspect about the GP2X if you're keen on having a site about it. Dzz had the right idea reviewing homebrew software for it, but hasn't updated his list in a long time. Why not try taking that on, keeping it up to date with the newest releases? Provide screenshots, links to the authors website, information on where to download it and what you thought of it. If you know how, maybe make a user rating system through scripting (ie. ASP or PHP) so people can get not just your opinion on it, but that of visitors. Keep them organized by date so people can easily find out what's been added since they last visited.

That's just one idea, but it's something that might actually be useful.

If it matters, I have done paid graphic and print design, so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Yono posted on Sep 13 2006 at 06:01 PM said:
YakumoFuji posted on Sep 13 2006 at 09:00 PM said:

read the updates! the site is still under construction. should have the first section (what is the gp2x?) done in a few hours. the rest should come together in the next few days. :D

crawls back under rock. i just saw a new site and went to look :) i should read the whole post before going to see in future... mybad...

How dare you attempt to help the GP2X Community! Quickly my brethren! Destroy his spirit and decimate his dreams!

ASK posted on Sep 13 2006 at 06:12 PM said:
Alright not to be a killjoy...hmm, wait, I am going to be a killjoy.

There is no need for another GP2X website that simply mirrors all the information already available for the handheld, especially a poorly designed one.

If you want to build a site, ditch the WYSIWYG editors (ie. Yahoo Sitebuilder, the one you used) and learn to write HTML on your own, without a fancy frontend. I know this kind of comment gets thrown around all the time, but it has some merit. Of course it's possible to build a good looking site using one, but you should understand what you're working with to set your foundation. Knowing HTML also allows you to save your source from looking like complete, overbloated crap that could have been done in a much cleaner way, in less space.

Some design tips, the graphics look cheap, especially the random clipart/images you didn't actually make yourself. Next, it's generally a bad idea to use more than one or two typefaces on a single page, it tires the eyes and looks ugly, and non-uniform. It makes the site look like a random mishmash of crap.

The large image with the overlay of the logo makes absolutely no sense, especially in it's placement. Your page also overflows for far too long for no reason. Also, what's the deal with your lines seperating your news entries, why use underscores when the horizontal rule tag (< hr >) is available?

Consistency is the key to good webdesig
n. You should strive to not make it look like it's your first time using your pirated copy of photoshop. (A fair assumption, feel free to correct me)

You should want your webpage to contain useful information, easily accessible and preferably unavailable elsewhere. You need something to draw users to keep visiting the site, not just visit it once after you spam it on a forum. Try covering an original aspect about the GP2X if you're keen on having a site about it. Dzz had the right idea reviewing homebrew software for it, but hasn't updated his list in a long time. Why not try taking that on, keeping it up to date with the newest releases? Provide screenshots, links to the authors website, information on where to download it and what you thought of it. If you know how, maybe make a user rating system through scripting (ie. ASP or PHP) so people can get not just your opinion on it, but that of visitors. Keep them organized by date so people can easily find out what's been added since they last visited.

That's just one idea, but it's something that might actually be useful.

If it matters, I have done paid graphic and print design, so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

wow, now that's one hell of a feedback :)
i'm completely new at this and hardly know any html code at all. right now i'm just learning as this
project goes. still a work in progress luckily.

First of all, its piss ugly, and you ripped off gp32x's name. Just wow. The dhtml you made in dreamweaver lags like hell and its ugly. Hurts my eyes, terminal green and dark grey dont go together. AT ALL. Use black if you must. Its a blinding color though. Oh excuse me, you used the yahoo site builder, so thats why the ugly dhtml rollovers lag worse then anything. And the contrast between the colors is a harsh change. You may not be a graphic design major, but please look up the definition of a colorscheme.

EDIT: Oh, its your first website ever... NVM then.

I'm taking a website design class next semester. It's not by choice, though. I was just lacking another class so they stuck me in that one. I just really hope we don't use WYSIWYG, as I'm rather fond of Notepad for making websites on.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 13 2006 at 11:00 PM said:
I'm taking a website design class next semester. It's not by choice, though. I was just lacking another class so they stuck me in that one. I just really hope we don't use WYSIWYG, as I'm rather fond of Notepad for making websites on.
You will be using dreamweaver or frontpage. There is no doubt.

iignotus posted on Sep 14 2006 at 05:42 AM said:
You will be using dreamweaver or frontpage. There is no doubt.
I hope it's not Frontpage, it creates way too much unnecessary rubbish.

AcidiC posted on Sep 14 2006 at 09:30 AM said:
Photoshop and Notepad FTW!

Our class was actually told to use notepad, and programs like dreamweaver weren't allowed :D

That's the way we do it here, too...
/lecturer in "Web develeopment basics" and ditto "advanced" at a swedish university

Back