New Pics Up On Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
The finish on the battery lids is SWEET!
It looks promising, we should have the cases Soon™.

I'm happy to see some cases. I would've liked to seen some closer shots of the problem areas from the Rev 3 cases from February, but I hardly expected the Chinese company to put their money where their mouth was. I notice some obvious pitting and "caved in" areas on the bottom case, and the streaking inside the battery compartment that we already knew about. Overall, it looks good. I think part of the problem they had is the Pandora case is really thick overall, and now-a-days most electronics uses much thinner plastic. They just weren't used to pumping that much into such large cavities.

strider_mt2k said:
Still developing the OS? :blink:

Wow.

1) Is an OS ever done? You think they're not still developing for Windows XP what, nearly a decade since it was originaly planned for release? :)

2) You go build your own distribution and customize nearly everything, in your spare time, for free ;)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that they should just go ahead and produce all 10K. We are told that it takes a while to get the machine up to speed and producing the correct quality so stopping it at 1K when its may be running fine seems daft and it would only take a few days more to knock out the extra 9K. Having more than one production run doesn't make good sense, and after all if the first 1000 are no good they will have to be sent back, so you might as well send back 10K.

^ I agree. Especially since some other order might "take over" the machine and then they have to go through the recalibration bit all over again... and mess it up.

mindlord said:
^ I agree. Especially since some other order might "take over" the machine and then they have to go through the recalibration bit all over again... and mess it up.
Good point about the job slot. How pissed off would we feel if the first 1000 cases were pukka and the next slot in the queue was a few weeks down the line!

Nation.A.List said:
I think that they should just go ahead and produce all 10K. We are told that it takes a while to get the machine up to speed and producing the correct quality so stopping it at 1K when its may be running fine seems daft and it would only take a few days more to knock out the extra 9K. Having more than one production run doesn't make good sense, and after all if the first 1000 are no good they will have to be sent back, so you might as well send back 10K.

I disagree completely. The first 1000 will be a production run that will establish what is an acceptable product in fit and finish. Once you have that benchmark you can tell the factory that any units not meeting the quality of the first batch will not be accepted and, more importantly, not paid for. Maybe there will be a few tweaks required after the first 1000. Then another batch of 1000 will likely be made. Repeat the process until you hit a final production quality - then that is used as the benchmark going forward.

Cranking out 10,000 without that benchmark is just asking for trouble. So I completely agree with the 1000 run.

Thanks.

Why is there only finish on the battery covers? Kinda defeats the purpose of a "sample", eh?

EDIT: Those lids look awful...

New thread just about case production started here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52465-please-make-all-10k-cases-in-one-go/ so please post about this in that thread.

Dear OpenPandora Ltd,

I think you should do something totally different than what they are doing in regards to the development and production of these cases. I may not have any first hand experience, or actual information other than my general opinion, and that of what I've read on the internet, but I feel as if I need to critique you and the business decisions you've made. Cause my opinion, and the opinions of the hundreds of other engineers who post on here, without any first hand experience, or supporting information, should be taken seriously. We also feel you do not know what you are doing. Add to this the fact that since I pre-ordered I have rights and an equal say so in the expenditure of money in the production of this device. Therefore I would like to take over as lead project manager of the pandora.

Please ignore the fact I work at McDonalds, and may or may not have graduated high school... thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back