New Gp2x Hardware, F300

Squidge said:
Software? How about hardware? If the Wiz contains no video encoder (which is routed to an available expansion port), it's never going to work with your TV regardless of how much software you write.
The Pollux has a video encoder built in, and it does indeed seem that this is wired up to EXT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange Pumpkin said:
So what is on it's place on the EXT port ??

As far as I know the EXT port didn't change

How do you know? The main processor did, the pcb did, I find it odd they'll keep the ext port identicial. Otherwise they would ship gp2x cradles to Wiz developers rather than Wiz-specific break out of boards.

I don't know that but sb on this forum said so ,, don't exacly know were

Where can I get ,, how much does it cost ?? ( Wiz-specific break out of boards )

Mb We will wire the TV - out ourselfs :p :p

Now that is interesting. A Wiz with a decent sized screen that won't make you go blind playing it and won't burn in.

Now I am interested in the Wiz, this one at least.

Craig, hopefully you can get some of these.

Peter R said:
Then you clearly haven't seen how great the Wiz screen is up close then?

You are also saying you want the cheap GP2x plastic and unsturdy build?
Well you would have to see the Wiz screen up close, anything but close and you won't be able to see what the hell is on it, it is so small ;)

DaveC said:
Well you would have to see the Wiz screen up close, anything but close and you won't be able to see what the hell is on it, it is so small ;)
I was skeptical about it, but its not that bad. The colors are very nice and bright.

You guys seem to be missing one important point.

F300's price is 360,000 KRW now, Wiz will be 189,000 KRW

I'm Korean, but paying double price for F200 like Wiz...

Nice as the F300 is, is it worth paying double the price of the Wiz?

originalz said:

I guess it depends on how much it is worth to you for a .7" bigger burn-in proof screen.

DaveC said:
originalz said:

I guess it depends on how much it is worth to you for a .7" bigger burn-in proof screen.

Oh is the screen an issue for you? I had no idea.

this may be cool as an additional option for wiz distributors to import a few of these for those willing to put out the extra money. it shouldn't go any further then that and its wise that they are mainly keeping it in korea and using it as vocamaster instead of confusing people and selling it as an "f300"

Dave, where did you get this burn in idea from? (never knew it could be permanent).
Do you have a Wiz? Have you worked it out or what?

Well the AMOLED screen is really nice and would like one but + 0.7 " ( even TFT ) is better and I don't know why are You thinking about price I think that most of the price is the vocamasters soft-ware becous what other would be the the hard-ware is the same the screen is cheaper and the case is cheaper ( I think ) And I still have some hope that If that hard-ware fits the Wiz there will be some extra space In the F300 and this space might be used someway

( mb for wires connecting the TV out :p :p )

Would it theoreticaly be possible to swap out the F200 board with a Wiz board? Sorta like, reconnect the display, the buttons and away you go?

OogyBoogy said:
Would it theoreticaly be possible to swap out the F200 board with a Wiz board? Sorta like, reconnect the display, the buttons and away you go?
No. It's not literally a Wiz board inside the f300. It's a new board based on the same hardware as the Wiz.

pandora said:
Dave, where did you get this burn in idea from? (never knew it could be permanent).
Do you have a Wiz? Have you worked it out or what?
As many other displays do, OLED screens lose brightness over time. The problem with OLED screens compared to a usual LCD with backlight is that the OLED screens have thousands of individual light sources (every pixel has three LEDs - for red, green and blue). So when you have your device turned on for a long time displaying always the same image, parts of the screen that show a bright part of the image age faster than those parts that display darker parts of the image. So this is a rather theoretical problem - I guess nobody would use their Wiz to display only one non-moving image.
Burn-in is not a big problem with OLEDs under normal use (that is gaming, watching videos etc.).
Unfortunately, there is another problem with those OLED screens: The different colors of the screen do not age equably. The result is a color shift to the color that is aging slowest, meaning that your device will eventually have a display where white is no longer white but rather bluish for example. This does not happen in a short period of time though. Probably noticable after a few years.

Very interesting ,, do the LCD screen age slower ?? And does it have the problem You mentioned ??

I know it is not a place for a tutorial about screens so could You please give a link with the LCD/OLED + and - ??

Orange Pumpkin said:
Very interesting ,, do the LCD screen age slower ?? And does it have the problem You mentioned ??
The LCD itself does not really age, but its backlight does. Except for the reduced brightness, this is not much of a problem, because the backlight's color does not change in its whole lifetime. This is especially true for LED backlights, but also CCFL backlights do not change much.

I know it is not a place for a tutorial about screens so could You please give a link with the LCD/OLED + and - ??

Right now I do not have a link at hand, sorry.

Orange Pumpkin said:

LCD just blocks light in varying intensities from the backlight it is a sort of "light valve" So no LCD screens don't really burn in or age like that (this is also why "screen savers" are worthless on today's LCD computer monitors). I suppose the white LED backlights used do age but they do last in the range of 100,000 hours or so. They then just gradually get dimmer over time.

Current OLEDs are very new technology. The problem is the blue emitter. They last only around 20,000 hours. So what you will see is over time whites will turn more and more yellow (blue gets weak, red and green do not nearly as fast, red+green =yellow). It is not like the screen will be perfect up to 20,000 hours then go bad. The screen will gradually yellow and the 20,000 hour mark is when the blue emitter is at half of the brightness it was new. At this point the color will be really bad. I suppose what can be done at this point is to have an application that will dim the red and green brightness to match the blue (sliders adjusted by user). The screen will obviously be dimmer but at least the color will be better.

OLEDs have some very good qualities. The response time kills any LCD (or plasma or CRT even) it is very fast with no image retention or motion blur. The viewing angle is perfect, unlike an LCD that shifts color and contrast when viewed off axis. They are thin as you don't have to have a backlight panel like an LCD, the display makes it's own light. OLEDs are power efficient (important in a handheld) only the pixels that are on are using power. On an LCD the backlight is always full power no matter what. Then worse yet you need to use MORE power to turn on the LCD pixels to block the always on backlight in certain spots (pixels). The OLED black level is the best you can get. Basicaly black is true black. If you have an all black image in a dark room on an LCD you can still see a glow from the screen. With an OLED you couldn't even tell it was on, this makes contrast levels superior to anything. So really the only issue with OLED is the burn-in/lifetime issues. When/if they can fix that other display tech like LCD, plasma, CRT are dead.

Back