New Firmware (V. 1.2.0) Out Now!

Pickle said:
sbock said:
Andy G said:
Are there any other GL games out for Wiz?I dont think Quake 2 uses the GL libraries
Quake 2 uses a software render only, yes...

I actually do have a build of quake2 and it worked at one point, but didnt with at least v1.0 fw, Ill give it shot though with this new version.

Great news, Pickle! I think there are some nice improvements with the opengles at least the performance.
Perhaps if you have time and interest you can look after Quake 1 and the problems with the 16 pixels high textures?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok , so we officialy have problem with new update , cause non all the games will work with "fast pocketsnes" , some of them require "pocketsnes.gpe" , wich is slower 50% ...... :(

sbock said:
Pickle said:
sbock said:
Andy G said:
Are there any other GL games out for Wiz?I dont think Quake 2 uses the GL libraries
Quake 2 uses a software render only, yes...

I actually do have a build of quake2 and it worked at one point, but didnt with at least v1.0 fw, Ill give it shot though with this new version.

Great news, Pickle! I think there are some nice improvements with the opengles at least the performance.
Perhaps if you have time and interest you can look after Quake 1 and the problems with the 16 pixels high textures?

Is there any chance you can get GP Quake to work? (as it doesn't work on firmware 1.1.0. or 1.2.0.)
Cheers, Neil

*mumbles something about still lacking render to texture in opengl and walks away shaking his head*

Hi Neil L.. I just reinstalled the GL libraries and my Quake started working again..

Pickle. Let me know if you want a beta tester for GL Quake 2 ;)

Andy G said:
Hi Neil L.. I just reinstalled the GL libraries and my Quake started working again..
I was talking about GPQuake, the one that came with Tyr-Quake. (Here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,15 ) It used to run on the earlier firmwares.

Neil L said:
Is there any chance you can get GP Quake to work? (as it doesn't work on firmware 1.1.0. or 1.2.0.)
I got GL Quake to run first time and I didn't even reinstall the GL libraries after flashing??? (The mission packs still don't work though)

Cheers, Neil

Andy G said:

Doing this will probably install the old version of the GL libraries over the newer version. If so then what needs to happen is quake needs to be modified to use the new libraries.

Peter R said:
Andy G said:

Doing this will probably install the old version of the GL libraries over the newer version. If so then what needs to happen is quake needs to be modified to use the new libraries.

glquake works fine for me with this image, no changes. Tried quake2, same ol'memory issues, im not spending any more time with it.
Ill try gpquake later and see what the problem is, although i dont see why anyone would really want to use it over tyrquake.

glquake works fine for me with this image, no changes.
Confirmed, for me it runs even faster with the new libs. Pickle, is the problem wit the 16 pixels high textures seg faulting still present in the new driver?

sbock said:
Confirmed, for me it runs even faster with the new libs. Pickle, is the problem wit the 16 pixels high textures seg faulting still present in the new driver?
Yep its faster, but I dont know wasnt even aware of the 16 pixels problem

Sbock, are you referring to the missing texture problem quake has?

Pickle said:
sbock said:

Look here.

Afaik you deactivated some texturs because of problems with the driver. So some textures are missing in game (weapons creates etc.)

sbock said:
Pickle said:
sbock said:

Look here.

Afaik you deactivated some texturs because of problems with the driver. So some textures are missing in game (weapons creates etc.)

Ok you are referring to the problem I been calling a out of memory (or lack of) problem.
I didnt deactivate any textures thats the driver, i think i said 16 pixels since someone noticed that was the size it mostly effected. What i did change is the filter size(?), which I think has an effect on memory use, the side effect is blockier looking textures.

Don't install the 1.2.0 .. even GPH is saying to wait right now and is not yet putting it on the Wiz's they are shipping out.

The intended upgrades are nice but I think they need to make a few more corrections and they know that. At least give them credit for trying to make the Wiz even better. Wait for the new firmware release that is offered as an official upgrade from them. From what I can find the 1.1.0 rev 455 is the latest official firmware.

A fixed firmware version 1.2.0 revision 317 is released in Korea. I mirrored the file to my server:

http://sbock.net/upload/wiz_1.2.0_2010013.zip

Changes I found:

-Wrong language in Flash player fixed
-Calender bug fixed
-Version now displayed 1.2.0

Not fixed:

OpenGLES problems with Propis demo and tissuegl sample.

Workaround: Download the older opengles_lite.so from the archive and copy it to the application folder. Do not install the lib!

Quote from the GPH homepage (translated):

* For better performance, so as to change the game to run some older games can be a problem.

Not checked:

I don't use the SNES emu, so can somebody please try? (I guess the problem stays...)

Disclaimer! The firmware version is not officially announced or recommended. Proceed at own risk!!!

fettouhi said:
Has someone else noticed that this new firmware sucks more battery?
I think this is due to the fact that new FW are using Pollux-DPC-Set-Like fix. More refresh rate -> shorter battery life.

Anyone who updated the firmware 12 January, tried the new version?

is it worth it to upgrade?

I mean, the emulators work pretty well with 1.1, and I see more risks than benefits in upgrading to 1.2. is it correct or do you think this upgrade is necessary?

rbm13s said:
fettouhi said:
Has someone else noticed that this new firmware sucks more battery?
I think this is due to the fact that new FW are using Pollux-DPC-Set-Like fix. More refresh rate -> shorter battery life.

Absolutely correct. For more infos look here.

Back