New Firmware Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, didn't mean to rile anyone up or help to start any wars by trying to defend mkv. I guess mkv support won't matter as much if h264 is never supported by the GP2X. h264 does not generally work too well in avi (it's a sloppy hack) and I don't think it works at all in ogm (I've never seen it before). .mp4 and .mkv containers seem to be the best solutions there. Other than that, I could get by with .avi support using xvid/divx just fine. But I'm sure there are more important things that need to be done before hoping that h264 isn't impossible for the GP2X. I'm predicting this upcoming firmware release to be more of a bugfix/improve existing features than to add more features.

mcqfesijiba posted on Aug 14 2006 at 10:30 AM said:
Sorry, didn't mean to rile anyone up or help to start any wars by trying to defend mkv. I guess mkv support won't matter as much if h264 is never supported by the GP2X. h264 does not generally work too well in avi (it's a sloppy hack) and I don't think it works at all in ogm (I've never seen it before). .mp4 and .mkv containers seem to be the best solutions there. Other than that, I could get by with .avi support using xvid/divx just fine. But I'm sure there are more important things that need to be done before hoping that h264 isn't impossible for the GP2X. I'm predicting this upcoming firmware release to be more of a bugfix/improve existing features than to add more features.

Mkv used a lot by fan subbers so a lot of anime eps are in mkv with dual audio streams and subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember your training.

FOCUS ON THE FIRMWARE AND NOT THE FLAMING.

Thank you and goodbye.

P.S. Why not have a firmware lottery and guess the day of release.Winner gets to answer
the "I bricked my GP2X while updating the firmware" posts.

DaveC posted on Aug 14 2006 at 07:28 PM said:
What is wrong with the current FW?

What is the big rush?

Cause they said they would release the firmware half past July, and still it isn't there. And I really would like to know what is changed. The firmware 2.0.0 still is far away from perfect, so this one might change allot.

DaveC posted on Aug 14 2006 at 12:28 PM said:
What is wrong with the current FW?

What is the big rush?

Unfortunately still no backlight brightness adjuster from GPH. We have that other thing, but it would be nice to have an official one integrated into the firmware, perhaps with a slider like the other adjuster.

dontspam posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:20 AM said:
P.S. Why not have a firmware lottery and guess the day of release.Winner gets to answer

Is this a joke? If not, you must not have done a firmware update in a long while. v2.0.0 is pretty safe and painless. As safe as a firmware update can be, that is. There's always some inherent danger even with a dual BIOS like on some of Gigabyte's PC Motherboards. The biggest risk, if you have a compatible SD card, is your batteries being too low to complete the programming successfully with a good, complete write. If I wrote the firmware update program, I'd have it do a test write to a temporary area in NAND memory and gauge battery voltage during that time. If it dips below acceptable levels, display a warning and recommend the user not continue. I will say this though, I got away with the v2.0.0 flash with 2 2500MAh cells that were only perhaps 10% charged without incident. And it was from a pretty off-brand Dane-Elec 128mb card.

Epicenter posted on Aug 15 2006 at 05:33 PM said:
dontspam posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:20 AM said:

Is this a joke?

ER... Yes.

I'd like it if they could fix the lcd flicker on boot. I'm picky. :p Being able to adjust the backlight would be cool, too.

I'm in no rush, though. I'd rather they take their time and not break anything.

LordFu posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:51 PM said:
I'd like it if they could fix the lcd flicker on boot.

I've read that they fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back