New Concept Ideas Pandora

sousaptak

Still Fresh
hii everyone...
i m a newbie around here..& frankly i know nothing about open source or programing ...but i've few ideas which could be considered to improve the pandora & to expand its value & uses.my ideas are followings...

1. there could be a advance version of pandora with the features of a cellphone. so that we can use it also as communicator as well as a UMPC.
2. it should contain features like 3g/4g network interface, inbuilt gps,camera for both voice calls and for other uses .

3. the form factor could have some changes,i m personally requesting other members to post their idea of new forms for pandora & if possible please post drawings or sketches.

4. i think a scroll-key in middle of the four action keys(a.b,x,y)can help the user for better uses.it would be the mouse scroller's alternative. its just my personal thinking. optical joystick is also a gr8 option.

5. there is no doubt that pandora is one of the great gaming handhelds... but i've seen many emulators doesnt have the fullscreen gameplay... developers can solve this issue.

6. pandora should be produced more largely & there should be more promotion of it. i think many of the people does not know about it. world wide availability is also required.

7. should have a wide range of accessories.

8. last but not the least there should be correctly working emulators for major consoles like PSP,DS, etc.

9. dedicated hot keys for music (next.play/pause.previous) around the case could make it more efficient as a media player.

10. adding inbulit flash storage option like 16gb will make it more perfect.

11. motion sensor,digital compass etc. could be added.

12. many people are complaining about the keypad lacking the TAB button. so adding that up will be realy helpful.

this is my first post . so please correct me if i am wrong in anyway. everyone is invited to share their personal suggestions & ideas... thank you

sousaptak said:
hii everyone...
Hi there, and welcome. :)

i m a newbie around here..
You're in the wrong section, but we'll let that slide since you're new. ;) For future reference, posts like this go in "General Talk [Pandora]", as the Developers' Corner is meant for the discussion of software projects that are being developed. I've alerted a moderator so that this post can be moved to the correct place, so don't worry about it with this one.

1. there could be a advance version of pandora with the features of a cellphone. so that we can use it also as communicator as well as a UMPC.
2. it should contain features like 3g/4g network interface, inbuilt gps,camera for both voice calls and for other uses .
This has come up before. The gist of it, though, is that a lot of this adds too much cost for features that I gather most of the prospective audience did not want.

The 3G thing is considered desirable by some, but the lack of it can be worked around because certain 3G USB devices, as well as the "MiFi" mobile 3G routers (which provide a mobile WiFi hotspot) that are offered by some companies, are compatible with the device.

3. the form factor could have some changes,i m personally requesting other members to post their idea of new forms for pandora & if possible please post drawings or sketches.
If you think the form factor could be changed, why not share your thoughts on this? ;)

Speaking as a Pandora user, I can honestly say that there is pretty much nothing I would change.

4. there is no doubt that pandora is one of the great gaming handhelds... but i've seen many emulators doesnt have the fullscreen gameplay... developers can solve this issue.
This is a contentious issue! Be careful! ;) (That is to say, some prefer for things not to be stretched in an ugly fashion, and others have the opposite view, and everything in between. :p)

Anyway, indeed, it is up to developers whether or not they want to add this as an option.

5. pandora should be produced more largely & there should be more promotion of it. i think many of the people does not know about it. world wide availability is also required.
If that were possible at this point in time, I'm sure that the team would already be doing so. ;)

6. should have a wide range of accessories.
Like what?

7. last but not the least there should be correctly working emulators for PSP,DS, etc.
I strongly suggest that you do some searching of the forums on these matters. The in-built forum search isn't very good, but if you go to Google, type your search terms, and then add site:gp32x.de/board and hit enter, you should have more luck.

everyone is invited to share their personal suggestion & ideas... thank you
Whilst this is fun, I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure what purpose it would serve. The Pandora is currently being built and sent out to customers - nothing can really be changed now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. :) I'll answer you point by point.

1,2: There aren't any plans for a cellphone version, although you're not the first to bring it up. It would require major design changes, and would send the price through the roof. A SIM slot would be mighty nice though...

3: The form factor is pretty much set in stone, and for the (hypothetical) Pandora 2 and beyond the current thinking is to use the same shell but upgrade the internals. Nothing wrong with a bit of conceptual brainstorming though ;) A lot of that has gone on over the years, and I'd dig up some of the threads for you if I had time.

4: All emulators should get the full range of display options given some time. Right now the emphasis is on getting things working and released. Icing on cake to follow.

5: No arguments on increased production, I think if the guys had their way they'd be churning them out in the hundreds of thousands. But it's not that simple for a project of this nature; they need to start slow and work their way up. This time next year it could be a different ballgame if things go well, we'll see.

6: That's a popular idea, I think we'd all love some Pandora branded accessories and there might be a thing or two in the future. The beauty of this product though, is that the connectivity options (including USB host) mean that a world of PC accessories is already available. And for the most part, this works out much cheaper for the user.

7: Another popluar request ;) The thing with emulators, and all software on the Pandora, is that they're not made by the company. They're made by guys and girls in the community who toil for hundreds of hours in their own time, usually without pay. Then they release them for free (most of the time). No one is in a position to demand anything of them - they'll do it if they want the challenge, and nothing more. There is also no guarantee that the hardware is even capable of running these emus decently. Once again, give these things some time (months or years) and there may be some nice surprises. Maybe.

[edit] So ninja'd, and so accurately. You'd think we'd addressed these points before or something. :D

sousaptak said:
hii everyone...
i m a newbie around here..& frankly i know nothing about open source or programing ...but i've few ideas which could be considered to improve the pandora & to expand its value & uses.my ideas are followings...

4. there is no doubt that pandora is one of the great gaming handhelds... but i've seen many emulators doesnt have the fullscreen gameplay... developers can solve this issue.
5. pandora should be produced more largely & there should be more promotion of it. i think many of the people does not know about it. world wide availability is also required.
6. should have a wide range of accessories.
7. last but not the least there should be correctly working emulators for PSP,DS, etc.

this is my first post . so please correct me if i am wrong in anyway. everyone is invited to share their personal suggestion & ideas... thank you

1. There could be, but this is a gaming device / mini notebook. Most people buy it for games and such additions would increase the cost for the device. They wouldn't be selling a much as they are now. Sticking to one design is cheaper then building two seperate devices.
2. Mobile network would be nice, but I am rather waiting on Hotfix 4 to contain a fix for the tethering to work properly. My phone has 3G, so tethering it would enable me to always have an internet connection on the device. Again, adding this to the device would make it more expensive, so would gps.
3. The form factor as it is now, is "efficient". It enables all the controls to be present. Taste is personal....I have seen prettier devices, but the Pandora is mainly about being very functional and packing all these controls and features.
4. Most of the software is still in a very early stage. It'll get a lot better over time. I think many software/emulators are very good already.
5. The team doesn't have a big pile of money laying around. It is always a very risky proces for them. I am very thankfull they have gone through all of this effort in order to get here. As time passes by, maybe they could build larger batches. However, there must also be enough customers.
6. There are some accesories, but no-one is stopping you from developing some yourself.
7. Give it time, more emulators will come (and a ds has 2 screens....how would that work?).

OMG....Ninja'd 3 times!! :ph34r:

@ prometheus & gruso
guys thanks a lot for your immidiate replies. the main fact is i m from india. & i dont even own a pandora. i gather info. from google & youtube videos. so i think u guys will consider my ideas as an attempt to improvement. thanks again friends

@ protheus , gruso & others
please comment on the unique idea of scroll key in the middle of action keys .. i think that would be nice & handy.

sousaptak said:
@ protheus , gruso & others
please comment on the unique idea of scroll key in the middle of action keys .. i think that would be nice & handy.

You could just use the right nub, right?

sousaptak said:
hii everyone...

2 expensive
2 expensive/wont fit
it been done, wuts ur issue w/ the current form factor?
4. i think a scroll-key in middle of the four action keys(a.b,x,y)can help the user for better uses.it would be the mouse scroller's alternative. its just my personal thinking.
use the nub broski
5. there is no doubt that pandora is one of the great gaming handhelds... but i've seen many emulators doesnt have the fullscreen gameplay... developers can solve this issue.
if the game isn't 5:3 fullscreen requires distortion. if i were developing an emulator, i wouldn't add distorted scaling, because i don't like it and i don't like people who like it. i might even keep the filtered/smoothed scaling to myself.
6. pandora should be produced more largely & there should be more promotion of it. i think many of the people does not know about it. world wide availability is also required.
not possible now
yeah but we could never dream of reaching even 1/1000 the number of accessories available to desktop PCs OH WAIT
8. last but not the least there should be correctly working emulators for major consoles like PSP,DS, etc.
no
this is my first post . so please correct me if i am wrong in anyway. everyone is invited to share their personal suggestions & ideas... thank you
my idea is u leave this forum now

sousaptak said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

As has been mentioned in the past a Pandora desktop edition would be nice, it would have no screen, battery, keyboard, gaming controls, but it would have high def video out. It would be controlled by external peripherals. I'd buy one if it was available at a reasonable price.

Another one I'd like would be something like this one for the NDS. The Pandora version could have a built in USB2 hub and a small cable to plug into the USB port on the Pandora. There could be some external USB ports and an internal USB port which could be used to fit perhaps a flash drive or any other small USB peripheral.

There could be an adjustable hinge clamp the would hold the screen at the angle desired by the user and perhaps the biggest benefit is that it would make extended use of the Pandora at lot more comfortable.

sousaptak said:
hii everyone...

4. i think a scroll-key in middle of the four action keys(a.b,x,y)can help the user for better uses.it would be the mouse scroller's alternative. its just my personal thinking.

1. I dont think much people want to pay 20 euro extra to have a phone call feature.
2. Same here, not everyone uses 3G/4G
3. It could have been better, but lots of stuff is patented, and this design does the job and still looks great and most important, its really solid and the big battery fits in
4. We already have nubs
5. Developers have a real life too, they arent paid and they just make emulators in their spare time, there a million of other things too be done and Im sure that a fullscreen mode will be added in a few weeks ( most emus already have full screen mode)
6. Wont work, Pandora is expensive so it can only be made if there are enough preorders, currently there are around 8000 preorders (batch 1 + 2). Also this device is not for every end-user.
7. You can plug in every USB 2.0 High speed device, alot of them work and each month more will work, thats kinda enough accessories
8. Making an emulator takes alot of time and skill, DS and PSP will probably not run fullspeed.

Please read the wikipedia page about emulation now.

@ TYPS LIK DIS
thanks 4 ur comments, but the last comment was not appropiate. i suggest you to be more careful while choosing your words.

@ mr. loon
thanks for sharing that NDS idea. hope it attracts the developers attention.

@ Mithrildor
thanks for the information. please keep checking this topic, & post your own concept ideas if possible.

sousaptak said:
@ Mithrildor
thanks for the information. please keep checking this topic, & post your own concept ideas if possible.

Are u trolling? The Pandora isnt going to be changed, it stays the way it is.

EDIT:

Someone ban this troll

@ Mithrildor
bro i think you r getting it wrong. i am not telling to change the pandora. it rocks the way it is. i am just giving ideas for future improvement. is it offensive to do so ??

Welcome to the forum sousaptak.

Unfortunately for you the Pandora design was finalised a couple of years ago and included many ideas from the community. We have been through all of this before and the design was fixed by the OP team based on their opinions and the best/most practical ideas from the rest of us.

Trying to change things now is a complete waste of time. This device already satisfies the majority of the users of this forum or at least it did when it was conceived and due to the complexities of implementing changes it will never deviate from it's current form.

I suggest you give up trying to change the Pandora and instead come back when the OP team are asking the community what they want to see in the Pandora2.

This isn't a dig at you it's just a fact. If you search you can probably find a few "what would you like to see in the Pandora2" type discussions on the forum.

EDIT: Some Pandora2 Forum discussions. here and here.

When did we decide to be jerks? We know the design isn't going to change, but there's nothing wrong with discussing concepts. There are always going to be new people bringing new enthusiasm to the boards, and there are three ways to deal with it:

1. Be nice
2. Reinforce our reputation as a bunch of elitist douchebags
3. Shut up

:)

[edit] Not directed at BadToad

sousaptak said:
@ Mithrildor
bro i think you r getting it wrong. i am not telling to change the pandora. it rocks the way it is. i am just giving ideas for future improvement. is it offensive to do so ??

Yeah, cause the thing isnt going to change and you still keep saying blabla ideas for future improvement blabla, after many people said its gonna stay the way it is. And keeping doing that is trolling

What Gruso said :)
At the moaners: Leave the thread and post elsewhere and it'll disappear.

mali said:
What Gruso said :)
At the moaners: Leave the thread and post elsewhere and it'll disappear.

But it was a funny picture. nevermind

All I can say is welcome to the forums

Back