New Concept Ideas Pandora

Android is more suitable for phones, not for desktop. Many applications use GPS, accelerometer and etc.
Android Market it's like Windows - lots of crappy software, paid applications, advertising and few of open-source apps.
Commercial games? For why? Leave this for DS and PSP. IMHO, Pandora - open-source gaming handheld, main apps is emulators and homebrew games. Community is not accept the idea of switching to Android.

Broken1334 said:
Android is more suitable for phones, not for desktop. Many applications use GPS, accelerometer and etc.
Android Market it's like Windows - lots of crappy software, paid applications, advertising and few of open-source apps.
Commercial games? For why? Leave this for DS and PSP. IMHO, Pandora - open-source gaming handheld, main apps is emulators and homebrew games. Community is not accept the idea of switching to Android.
Someguy is mildly trolling you. There's just been a huge debate about whether the main OS on the Pandora should be switched to Android. He's trying to be funny by bringing it up again. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Broken1334 said:

I haven't really used it, I was throwing the suggestion out there.

You are right though - the Pandora will smash all competition! It is the best handheld ever made.

Trix said:
WizardStan said:
Bulldog? Eeeew.
A cute, cuddly Panda. :p
Sure but a Panda is too obvious, that's what people would expect! Never do the expected!
Now a Bulldog, would make people go WTF. I dunno about you, but I love making people go WTF!

I was probably reading into that too much when I thought "WTF" + "Mascot" + "Unexpected" = furries. But people would be all like "mind = blown" :eek:
I don't know where I was going with this... (make a silly Japanese-style commercial, it'd be a hit at least on the internet)

trix said:
@ sousaptak:
Hello and welcome to the forums!
Your ideas are interesting! The discussion that resulted from it, is also interesting! (with the exception of "typs lik dis" being childish)
Keep in mind that discussions like this, are what resulted in the Pandora's creation to begin with!

I have a few ideas of my own to add, if I may:

1. One USB 1.0 slot, as I don't have a USB Hub, nor want to carry one with me.
2. Far more NAND space, if possible.
3. Retractable headphones! Yes! Headphones built into the unit that can be pulled out and set at length, then retracted back into case when not in use, kind of like measuring tape! Ear Buds would work best, of course.
4. crappy video camera. Because hey why not!
5. a stylus that is also a screwdriver! and nail file! hey the swiss can do it.
6. an attachable mini printer! with mini paper! for taking notes in class and printing them out later.
7. Pandora themed merchandise! T-Shirts, hats, towels, mice, keyboards, mousepads, sunglasses, condoms, cereal, everything!! Yeah!!
8. An official Pandora animal mascot! I'm thinking a bulldog, because bulldogs are awesome. Especially one munching on a PSP!
9. a mini-CDRW drive, that can burn on those half-sized mini-CDR's they sell at walmart. No real reason, just because.
10. And Finally, the ability to order a specially airbrushed case! I still want "Don't Panic!" in bold red on my Pandora lid!

Okay, so some of those are rather silly. I blame Mjlink's favorite plant.
What do you guys think?

- trix

What I think:
maybe an extra 2.0 port? thats what I want. OH! how about a little hub that clips onto the back of the pandora like docking station!

Headphones: retractable ones exist.

crappy camera: how about a clip-on webcam!

stylus screwdriver: how about a stylus/lazer pointer/pen/spycamera/usb drive? try to sneak THAT on a plane!

attachable mini printer: why not just get a gameboy priniter and hack it to work via USB?

Pandora themed merchandise: I'd like a hoodie or a hat. or SD card cases!

mascot: lets make me the mascot.

mini cdrw drive: what I would do is go and buy a huge backpack, and put inside it a self-powered usb hub connected to a DVD/CD burner, a floppy drive, a few usb flash drives, a printer, a hard drive, a gps dongle, and a wifi router. oh! and a um... solar panels :p

airbrished case: hrm... how about "This is not a DS"?

I think I might get a USB to VGA adapter. that way I can um... use my pandora with my monitor.

I wouldn't count on USB to VGA working on the Pandora. They require drivers, which probably aren't available for ARM Linux, not to mention the bandwidth of USB would probably only be sufficient for text.

cbox said:
I wouldn't count on USB to VGA working on the Pandora. They require drivers, which probably aren't available for ARM Linux, not to mention the bandwidth of USB would probably only be sufficient for text.

I was going to reply right after you posted that people had already had some results with the Nokia tablets, but now it's more amusing:

Recent news

trix said:
True! Though I was thinking more along the lines of using SSD instead of NAND for mega space.

I disagree. The fact that we have a 512Mb NAND means that apps are pretty much FORCED to be designed with running from SD in mind, with the NAND being reserved with the base OS pretty much being used as the firmware. If it had shipped with 16, 8, or even a couple of gigs internal storage, developers would have been tempted to ignore the PND spec and make apps that install to the NAND.

Just imagine the 'community-support' hell when somebody you have posts like "I havent played with UAE for a couple of weeks and now it's running really slow/not working" - we'd need to start asking things like what have you installed in the last few weeks, have you tried unisntalling/disabling this that or the other, or wose: have you tried a reformat/clean install?"!!!

Right now, if you want a full desktop-Linux style experience then it's easily possible to boot from a humongous SD. But this unit was designed as a gaming machine, with the additional possibility of running a full desktop environment. Let's keep it that way :)

Back