A Couple "potential" Ideas

bakawhite

I get my ideas too fast and I'm not a good enough programmer to keep up with myself so, I thought, that I'd put them here for someone to adopt.

first off, I had an idea for a guitar tuner that I was working on for DS. Unfortunately the DS is effing hard to code for. It got scrapped but I'd like to see it, or something like it, brought to Pandora. the idea is a chromatic tuner with a chord database. I thought that a small text editor could be squeezed in as well for tabbing purposes.

Two other ideas I have are touchscreen dependent.

A PalmOS-style word processor using a graffiti 2-like system. The feature I had thought to add would be that the user can use the keyboard to call a silhouette image of the letter to trace over.

And, of course, a port of the Colors! DS homebrew.

I seriously doubt that any of you would actually be interested in doing these, but if you are, please chime in with your two pence.

bakawhite said:
first off, I had an idea for a guitar tuner that I was working on for DS. Unfortunately the DS is effing hard to code for. It got scrapped but I'd like to see it, or something like it, brought to Pandora. the idea is a chromatic tuner with a chord database. I thought that a small text editor could be squeezed in as well for tabbing purposes.

This is an awesome idea. It should not be limited to guitars, though; plenty of us play other instruments as well. I play the euphonium & tuba. (I hope the Pandora's speakers will be loud enough)

It might be easier to port a good open-source tuner program if one exists. The program should also support non-standard pitches (not just A440, that is).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a great musician myself, but I love to play musical instruments :) I play the piano/keyboard and the trumpet, and to a lesser extent, the bass, the harmonica, the flute, etc
I always love to mess with music stuff, like little music apps (used to do it with my palm, cellphone, computer, etc) and some times I even go to kid toy stores to play with toy keyboards xD
I'd sure love a nice keyboard on the pandora's screen ;)

sweet! A thread for app ideas!

Well I'm gonna take the opportunity to plug my idea of a note recorder for meetings and lecturs!

I like the guitar tuner idea. I'm sure there must be some open source tuner for Linux somewhere, right?

Nice chat here, colours (or any graphics program, maybe even gimp?) would be awesome on the pandora for when it gets released.

I would also like a very basic word proccessor, perhaps something like a toned down version of open office writer, or ABIword.

Perhaps that is a silly suggestion.

cb88 said:
graffiti might be hard to do.... but palm applications already run natively on the nokia n800....
I actually started on a graffiti clone for the gp2x and it worked very well. There was talk about making a universal library that could be shared between programs. I dropped the project due to copyright concerns; graffiti and all other onestroke pen gestures are trademarked as "Unistrokes".

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...15&p=599380

There's a lot of pretty cool DS homebrew apps some of which would suit the Pandora.. Some of the apps have had their source released, others not. If people are interested in porting I'm sure some of the devs would be open to the possibility, a lot hang out over on the GBA Dev forums.

This really should be in "cool icebears and witches"
*moved*

edit: Oh, we don't have that yet for Pandora.... well general should work for now.

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
I'm not a great musician myself, but I love to play musical instruments :) I play the piano/keyboard and the trumpet, and to a lesser extent, the bass, the harmonica, the flute, etc
I always love to mess with music stuff, like little music apps (used to do it with my palm, cellphone, computer, etc) and some times I even go to kid toy stores to play with toy keyboards xD
I'd sure love a nice keyboard on the pandora's screen ;)
me too, like the DS-10 did for the DS, or software versions of korg's touchpads/koassilation stuff
speaking of touchscreens, i never knew the ds one was pressure sensitive. is the pandora touch sensitive? i assume not, but ive seen no concurrence on it

I'm trying to learn the Banjo and had found TablEdit, there is lots of tunes to download for it (even for the banjo) but they have no Linux version, then I found TuxGuitar which can import the .tef files used in TablEdit and has loads more features :D , would love that to get ported to Pandora!

cb88 said:
i wonder how well http://risujin.org/cellwriter/ works...

It looks interesting, and shouldn't be a problem to port, although it appears to need heavy training to recognise your handwriting (i.e. won't work out of the box the way graffiti or the Windows tablet handwriting recognition). I had an old clunky PDA in the late 90s that worked in a similar fashion, and could just about follow your writing, but I could say for sure that it'd still be faster to type on the Pandora's keyboard then write on screen in that method.

Since you can't hide the keyboard on a Pandora, it's always probably going to be easier to type...

I've used Cellwriter with a wacom tablet and it was pretty good. Not quite as fast as touch-typing, but fast enough.

Speaking of ideas .. somebody should make a game That`s like Smash TV with Diablo-style RPG elements.
Only not lame like Too Human.

I'm always impressed with the Ds homebrew scene, there seems to be a lot of quality titles. It would certainly be great to see a few of them on the pandora, just to get some more use out of the touchscreen! (Though saying that, my ds screen's are scratched up now!)

I haven't been able to find any chromatic tuner programs. note the period.
If there have been any made, they aren't stand-alone.
I definitely want to see this published, I'm suprised with the response. And, of course, I'd like to see different versions made for different instruments. Maybe we could use a tabbing and sheet music program like lillypad...I think that's what it's called. I'll look into it.

I think the creator of Colors! would be willing to at least talk, if not help, about porting his baby
I think at least something along those lines. simple, yet powerful.

I hadn't thought of Cellwrite. that might be an easy port. I was thinking that this "touch writing" program would have more of a personal letter database feel. i.e. when you use the "stencil"

An emu-search program would be a good idea, though integrated into a network program too, maybe...

*isn't a program like that being thrown together in the development section?

Colors looks fantastic, i'd love an app like that in my pocket! It would be great for whiling away a few hours every now an then. Its got a nice little community around it as well. Hope it gets ported! :)

Back