New Case Design

Do you prefer the New Design or the Previous Design

• I Prefer the new edges

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Na let's stick with the old edges

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

carlgeorge said:
If they ever release the CAD files for the case (i doubt it'll happen) then I will definitely get a case machined out of aluminium at work. I could then send it off for anodising.... mmmm.... blue anodising...
So, you plan to do without wireless & bluetooth? Aluminum will do a good job of shielding the antennas so they will no longer work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I could care less either way. My GP2X is ugly as hell and was the day I bought it. It's comfortable to hold and for the most part lets me do what I want with it. I'm a function over fashion kind of guy. Shame the joystick sucks so bad.

mali said:
Username said:
[...]That and MDave's render of the final Pandora case has an upside-down logo.
It's supposed to be like that :) So that people looking at an opened Pandora see it the right way.

Better to have it that way I suppose then this:

sexoennuevayork00.jpg

Honestly, for me, it is all about portability. If it is easier to slip into my pocket (which I imagine the newer design would be), then I am all about the curves.

My 2 cents.

P

Portability is important, usability is even a lot more important. I hope the new design doesn't make usability worser.

I hope the final render or the real version shows the final case looks better than this render. I see those curves too pronounced.

Keep in mind that Pandora is not just a gaming device, but a hybrid machine. I hope it looks serious enough for not being ridicule when using it as PDA/UMPC on business environments, other person said that previously and I think it's quite important for certain users.

:lol:

Talking about ridicule, why not take the old design and make it matt terracotta-coloured :p

had some down time @ work today, so i tried to get my head around the new form of the top (seeing as the comparison renders were so different).

this is what i came up with.

personally, i tend to favor the revised design:

01qn6.jpg

ps. just realised this is probably a late reply. :p

Good work! :)
Two small mistakes, the controls on the front have changed and the hinge part is curved, too.

retort said:
had some down time @ work today, so i tried to get my head around the new form of the top (seeing as the comparison renders were so different).

this is what i came up with.

personally, i tend to favor the revised design:

01qn6.jpg

ps. just realised this is probably a late reply. :p
Even though I'm for the original, that's lovely!

timofonic said:
Portability is important, usability is even a lot more important. I hope the new design doesn't make usability worser.

I hope the final render or the real version shows the final case looks better than this render. I see those curves too pronounced.

Keep in mind that Pandora is not just a gaming device, but a hybrid machine. I hope it looks serious enough for not being ridicule when using it as PDA/UMPC on business environments, other person said that previously and I think it's quite important for certain users.
A device that have joystick built-in will not look "serious" in a professional environment. No one is going to buy the line "oh I am bringing this in to do some coding/testing, not to play games when the boss is not around." :lol:

Another thing, that is to be considered, is the look when the lid is lifted. The curvy version looks more professional and worthy IMO.

OpenTheBox said:
A device that have joystick built-in will not look "serious" in a professional environment. No one is going to buy the line "oh I am bringing this in to do some coding/testing, not to play games when the boss is not around." :lol:
That's why there must be an easily pluggable accessory for hiding it. Any design suggestions for the "business accesory"? I think it must no be totally useless, it must do something even if it's trivial but serious.

Consider it a mischief. Pandora will could have a serious dress when being with those business people, then wear it's funny face when being between friends ;)

Please consider it, I think this could make sales a lot better and make Pandora a more universal device instead using a more "serious" PDA or UMPC for business.

A version without the gaming functions for business clients could be interesting too.

mali said:
Two small mistakes, the controls on the front have changed and the hinge part is curved, too.
hmmm, i was thinking that when i was visualizing it, but how does that work as a hinge detail?

anyone know of an other product that has a curved hinge?

retort said:
mali said:
hmmm, i was thinking that when i was visualizing it, but how does that work as a hinge detail?

The whole hinge isn't curved just the outer areas are to match the curve on the lid. The hinge pivots are farther in.

Also there is no sharp point/crease/miter on the corner of the lid, it is more rounded.

I think one thing that a lot of people are missing (even though it has been stated previously) is that the case lid had to be made thicker in the center area to realistically accommodate the touchscreen LCD. I think that rounding or beveling the edges to compensate for that so that it doesn't look like a total brick is a great compromise to minimize bulk. If you wanted something a little more retro, perhaps they could have made it more angular instead of rounded beveling like the portable DVD player that I have:
31kJqlNzFML._SS400_.jpg

DaveC said:
retort said:
mali said:

The whole hinge isn't curved just the outer areas are to match the curve on the lid. The hinge pivots are farther in.

Also there is no sharp point/crease/miter on the corner of the lid, it is more rounded.

Sorry for my lack of English. Do you mean the part where Pandora closes and open?

DaveC, as you are one of those guys that do nice mods... Would you consider to make something that hides the gaming controls in a temporary way?

timofonic said:
DaveC said:
retort said:
mali said:

Sorry for my lack of English. Do you mean the part where Pandora closes and open?

DaveC, as you are one of those guys that do nice mods... Would you consider to make something that hides the gaming controls in a temporary way?

why?

joa said:
timofonic said:
DaveC said:
retort said:
mali said:

why?

Some business environments consider all kind of fun a sin. They love to be bored, I want to use my Pandora everywhere and that's why I want to hide the fun part in certain environments ;)

Back