New Button Layout For Gpx2

If you could change buttons what would you pick?

• The top picture - two fullsize buttons for vertical MAME games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The bottom picture - two smaller buttons vertical MAME games

• Leave it as it was - screw vertical MAME games.

• Total voters

I'd say number 1, since i think the only thing thats really needed is seperate volume buttons.

And maybe they dont work to good for 6button fighters, but i think the gp2x has the BEST shoulder buttons on any handheld ever. I always loved them from the start. Thats one thing GPH got right. Nice buttons, and very nice feeling switches.

-------------------
EDIT
-------------------
HOLY SMOKES! i didnt realise this was so old. Kinda wondered why Dave used the white prototype pics as the base for his photoshop :D

Hey, please no trilobyte jokes for resurrecting this thread (this place has some extreme phobia of old threads, HORROR!), I am fairly interested in this topic and I never would have gone back to August to discover this.

SHOULDER BUTTONS SUCK, I am so glad to hear someone else say that besides me. Seriously, when I am using my forefinger and palm heel to hold the damn unit in place so my THUMBS can do the button manipulation, how in the hell am I supposed to release my grip with my forefingers and completely reorient them, just for the moment that I need the shoulder button, and then reposition them back in unit-support position. It's absurd. Shoulder buttons suck. They were vestigial appendages the instant they were conceived on the drawing board, obviously designed by someone who did not play anything but leisurely turn-based SNES RPG's. Sheesh.

Ok, having vented that out of my system, I would give a lot to have the standard three-buttons-across/two-buttons-high Street-Fighter layout. I am in agony experimenting wit an infinite number of button combinations to get the ideal compromise for playing SF2 on the GP. My unfortunate solution has been to abandon any hope of ever using medium punch/kick again, and dedicating the four buttons to weak and fierce, sigh !^o

Is is really conceivable to add another pair of buttons to the left or right of the existing ABXY buttons? I would pay to have that mod done, but only in an extremely high-quality way.

Also, pertaining to the original post, I would prefer the side-by-side buttons, when playing vertical scrollers in the 90 degree rotation. The three-button combo would also not be bad.

Yowza, and you call yourself a gamefan? Shoulder buttons have been de rigueur on every system since the SNES, surely you're used to them by now? :eek:

gaterooze posted on Jul 11 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
Yowza, and you call yourself a gamefan? Shoulder buttons have been de rigueur on every system since the SNES, surely you're used to them by now? :eek:
Absolutely, sir. I avoid shoulder buttons like the plague. Never use them. Got a problem with that!? :blink:

I should add that I did most of my playing in ARCADES. I never liked SNES, never owned a PS2 or N64, and bought a 6-button joystick as soon as they became available for my PSX and PC emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
You either have incredibly small hands or a very low range of motion in your fingers. *scratches head* When the shoulder buttons came out with the SNES, I had a lot of trouble at first, but you do get used to it. Avoiding it doesn't help you get used to it, just makes you more frustrated.

Or are you one of those people who lays the controller on the table and uses your fingers to push the buttons like it's a keyboard? *laugh* Those people, no offence, are hysterical to watch.

Just a quick question,

are you trying to change the design before they are made or is this an after market mod?

I would prefer Quiest's second design, I am already considering the d-pad mod but I can understand people not wanting to open up the GP2X, drill holes in it or have to solder anything.

For some people the perceived added risk of potentially destroying their new toy might well outweigh any gain they might get from playing vertical mame, this doesn't mean they hate vertical mame, or that they want to have a machine using only a part of its potential, they just don't want to risk breaking it.

Winterkid posted on Jul 12 2006 at 02:37 AM said:
You either have incredibly small hands or a very low range of motion in your fingers. *scratches head* When the shoulder buttons came out with the SNES, I had a lot of trouble at first, but you do get used to it. Avoiding it doesn't help you get used to it, just makes you more frustrated.

Or are you one of those people who lays the controller on the table and uses your fingers to push the buttons like it's a keyboard? *laugh* Those people, no offence, are hysterical to watch.
I paid close attention to my holding style, and I realized I hold the entire unit in the curved crook of my index fingers, which allows my entire thumb to hover directly over the buttons. I press buttons with the tip of my thumb only. I am extremely precise when using buttons, I am no button masher. I actually find it a little difficult to press two buttons at the same time! No, I am afraid I will never be able to make any use of shoulder pads. But it doesn't bother me too much, since I play no console gaming, only PC gaming. Except now I have to deal with it on the GP.... 8^( But it's not too much of a problem.

That's really interesting... I always hold the unit with my middle and ring fingers gripping the battery protrusion, always leaving my index fingers near the top of the unit so they'll be free for the shoulder buttons.

infernoofdante posted on Jul 12 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
it amuses me to see that i topic which i have bumped has become so active yet i was banned
Yeah it's a shame that other people didn't realise they were having their time wasted.

Hanz™ posted on Jul 12 2006 at 11:51 AM said:
it amuses me to see that i topic which i have bumped has become so active yet i was banned
Yeah it's a shame that other people didn't realise they were having their time wasted.
Someone was banned for merely bumping an old topic? That is some sick fascist shit. Anyway, I said already I didn't think it was a waste of time, I think it's a somewhat interesting topic. It's no less significant than the other three seperate threads on joysticks and D-pads, WTF? People need to speak for themselves around here.

I see there is room for two extra buttons, albeit not with a directly parallel setup. But there's room for a button above and right of the Y, and below and left of the X. A sophisticated mod, to be sure, I wouldn't let just anyone do it, but a professional could make it work pretty easily I would imagine.

gamefan999 posted on Jul 12 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
Someone was banned for merely bumping an old topic? That is some sick fascist shit. Anyway, I said already I didn't think it was a waste of time, I think it's a somewhat interesting topic. It's no less significant than the other three seperate threads on joysticks and D-pads, WTF? People need to speak for themselves around here.
I think he's been banned previously apparently as well; no idea why, but this does spam up the forum.
He's just bumping a few topics for no apparent reason - look at the date of the previous posts before his, and read the thread - this topic has no relevance now...

Kev

kevcal posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
I think he's been banned previously apparently as well; no idea why, but this does spam up the forum.
He's just bumping a few topics for no apparent reason - look at the date of the previous posts before his, and read the thread - this topic has no relevance now...

Kev
Ya, he bumped around 5-10 topics if Im not mistaken.

PSyMastR posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:25 PM said:
kevcal posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:09 PM said:

Kev
Ya, he bumped around 5-10 topics if Im not mistaken.
Well, I'm not looking to defend a troll, but I don't understand why simply bumping threads necessarily "spams up the forum". I personally don't think these forums are *that* lively to the point that digging up older ideas clutters up people's thinking and attention about new topics. Like I just said, is it irrelevant? With all the current discussion about modding joysticks? With an open-source type unit such as the GP, everything is fair game, including, I would think, physical modifications. Why does the topic "have no relevance now"? Can you defend that statement?

Of course if this member is just dragging up old topics at random, to stir up trouble, then sure, it's a problem. I just happen to think, in this instance, it was an interesting topic that I might have missed. Enough said.

Jaw posted on Jul 31 2005 at 11:49 PM said:
i'd have this:

gpx32.jpg

6 button for street fighter style games (shoulder buttons suck)
3 buttons for vertical jamma

:huh: :lol:

You should move the buttons to the back, so the screen would be much bigger.

Back