New Button Layout For Gpx2

If you could change buttons what would you pick?

• The top picture - two fullsize buttons for vertical MAME games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The bottom picture - two smaller buttons vertical MAME games

• Leave it as it was - screw vertical MAME games.

• Total voters

Alpha2 posted on Aug 2 2005 at 07:29 AM said:
I just explained it to you like you were a 5 year old dude but like I said you just dont want to understand what I'm saying. But you know something I'll make one last attempt simply because I refuse to loose total faith in the human mind in regards to comprehension.

I would rather have the buttons in places where I am going to use them more often for a larger number of games than in places that only help for a small number of games.

Now then, you can continue to argue that you don't understand but that's no longer my problem.

people like davec, like to shove their opinion down our throats, but don't like to hear the other side of the argument.

petty little ***** like that should not participate in forums if they can't converse without resorting to dismissing everything that is said. Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
but you would use them. 6 buttons on the front = megadrive 6 button games, arcade 6 button games, snes 6 button games etc etc etc

3 buttons on the opposite end = vertical games, wonderswan etc etc.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 2 2005 at 06:29 AM said:
I just explained it to you like you were a 5 year old dude but like I said you just dont want to understand what I'm saying. But you know something I'll make one last attempt simply because I refuse to loose total faith in the human mind in regards to comprehension.

I would rather have the buttons in places where I am going to use them more often for a larger number of games than in places that only help for a small number of games.

Now then, you can continue to argue that you don't understand but that's no longer my problem.

I don't understand because you don't make any sense, you are talking stupid. You never once said how having less buttons is better for "most games". How is having less buttons better for the larger number of games?

Tell me the games that are better with the old layout but are bad with the new one.

x68000 posted on Aug 2 2005 at 09:12 AM said:

people like davec, like to shove their opinion down our throats, but don't like to hear the other side of the argument.

petty little ***** like that should not participate in forums if they can't converse without resorting to dismissing everything that is said. Pathetic.

Again what is the other side? Explain to me how having less buttons is better? Instead of making lame insults prove how having less is better. Tell me.

I can make insults too without making a point. You stupid fucking lame brat who thinks you are going to emulate a 3DO amd Dreamcast on a 200 Mhz handheld, and just says everything opposite to what I do just to do it. See that is easy.

bourbon posted on Aug 2 2005 at 05:16 AM said:
Everone has been saying more buttons less buttons better buttons well i got an ide i like the six button idea but why not move 2 of them to the back and get rid of the sholder buttons all to gether and have the 2 full sized ones below the stick.
Yeah! Three buttons down each side at the back for your spare fingers ...
Thumb -- d-pad & a/b/x/y
index finger -- shoulder buttons
other fingers -- other buttons

Then we'd be able to MicroWrite(tm) on it too :)

Also ... Will the volume buttons be readable?

DaveC posted on Aug 2 2005 at 03:12 PM said:
x68000 posted on Aug 2 2005 at 09:12 AM said:

Again what is the other side? Explain to me how having less buttons is better? Instead of making lame insults prove how having less is better. Tell me.

I can make insults too without making a point. You stupid fucking lame brat who thinks you are going to emulate a 3DO amd Dreamcast on a 200 Mhz handheld, and just says everything opposite to what I do just to do it. See that is easy.

it would be easy if your facts carried any foundation but wereas everyone else speculates with an open mind, you are closed off to anything whatsoever. Oh, except when it suits yourself of course.

When i mentioned possibilities for potential emulation on the handheld, many plausible systems were suggested, and and at the end of the post i mentioned 3d0 and 32x which was supposed to carry a little humour (which you are obviously devoid of) as we all know that 32x carries many hurdles when it comes to emulation with many components shared from the saturn. Same goes for 3d0, never an easy system to emulate even on a pc. But a little optimism never hurts and listening to your insesent whining is tiresome.

I'd also suggest checking who you are calling 'brat' davey boy, as i am probably older than you so don't talk like that to your elders or else i'll have to come knock on your door, put you over my knee and give you a damn good thrashing.

x68000 posted on Aug 2 2005 at 04:07 PM said:

it would be easy if your facts carried any foundation but wereas everyone else speculates with an open mind, you are closed off to anything whatsoever. Oh, except when it suits yourself of course.
I'd also suggest checking who you are calling 'brat' davey boy, as i am probably older than you so don't talk like that to your elders or else i'll have to come knock on your door, put you over my knee and give you a damn good thrashing.

As far as emulation capabilities it is tiresome to hear some of you mentioning N64, Saturn, 32X etc. over and over when anyone with any kind of concept of what emulation is knows it to be impossible. It isn't "optimism" it is insanity. GBA, SNES and Neo Geo is optimism.

Well no one has yet explained what games would be better on the old layout and bad on the new one. Where are YOUR facts? Or do you not have any and just like to argue and oppose everything I say? If I said I like the old layout you would argue with me on that. I say it would open up more gaming possibilities to have buttons that make vertical games possible and all you can come up with is lame insults. So I am wrong and the extra buttons under the stick do NOT help with vertical games and hurt regular ones? Tell me why.

There are alot of insults and rhetoric going around but that is about it. lets hear some facts and examples.

Oh, and I am old enough to remember playing *PONG* in the arcades, come and thrash me.

Hey, how about you all shut up? :D :D

The argument about flipping the monitor is poor because the monitor has plenty of res to display a vertical image while this 320x240 screen will probably not.

DaveC's changes to the design make perfect sense, but they're not going to happen with the launch so close. At the same time, flipping the console the other way will work (using the action buttons as a d-pad--seeing as they are so close together), so there is little reason to worry.

Vertical games weren't especially comfortable on the gp32, and they won't be especially comfortable on the gpx2. But they will work on both. ;)

shinneri posted on Aug 2 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
Hey, how about you all shut up? :D :D

The argument about flipping the monitor is poor because the monitor has plenty of res to display a vertical image while this 320x240 screen will probably not.

DaveC's changes to the design make perfect sense, but they're not going to happen with the launch so close. At the same time, flipping the console the other way will work (using the action buttons as a d-pad--seeing as they are so close together), so there is little reason to worry.

Vertical games weren't especially comfortable on the gp32, and they won't be especially comfortable on the gpx2. But they will work on both. ;)

it will work if you are a lefty :)

shinneri posted on Aug 2 2005 at 06:02 PM said:
At the same time, flipping the console the other way will work (using the action buttons as a d-pad--seeing as they are so close together), so there is little reason to worry.

Only if your a freaky lefty, for the rest of us "Normal" right handed people it would feel all wrong but its a clever idea none the less.

EDIT
Damm Jaw got in there before me :)

hehe, gotta ask ya.. will the new version of dr md (gp32x2) have 6 button configureable support?

the start and select buttons would be good for the a + x buttons, start is ok as a button on the gp32.

Nah, I don't think it would be that hard for a right handed person (like myself).. a little odd, yes. But we use thumb sticks on console with our right thumb and the directional buttons are on the right on keyboards (so I use my right hand on those).

Again, it's not ideal, but I think even us righties could adapt. Left handed people have to deal with left-side controls stick on everything, afterall..

DaveC posted on Aug 1 2005 at 05:59 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Aug 1 2005 at 03:34 PM said:
I guess I just dont care enough about the minority of vertical screen games to care about changing the button layout. leave it the way it is. I'll play with black bars on the sides or just play something else entirely.

I don't understand why so many of you would rather have a more limited layout. It just doesn't make any logical sense. You would rather play with black bars on the side and the top and bottom cut off for what? What is the big advantage the way it is now? It gives absolutely NO advantage and only limitations. You actually WANT more limitations? By your logic we should remove some buttons because they are only needed for SNES and you don't play SNES so why not just take them out.

So why is it better the way it is? I would like to know because I can't see any advantage.

playing the system turned 90degrees that way wouldn't be comfortable anyway.
also a lot of the vertical shmups play well horizontally(e.g., raiden, rayforce..).
I think the best way to play these vertical games would be if the screen itself could rotate, so that you wouldn't have to play the system in that awkward position. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one that would rather play with borders or just play horizontally, than to play these games with the system turned around.

your idea is just "nice, but unnecessary", and obviously too late for them to add in their design. just stop trying to get everyone to agree with you.

junker posted on Aug 2 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 1 2005 at 05:59 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Aug 1 2005 at 03:34 PM said:
I guess I just dont care enough about the minority of vertical screen games to care about changing the button layout. leave it the way it is. I'll play with black bars on the sides or just play something else entirely.

I don't understand why so many of you would rather have a more limited layout. It just doesn't make any logical sense. You would rather play with black bars on the side and the top and bottom cut off for what? What is the big advantage the way it is now? It gives absolutely NO advantage and only limitations. You actually WANT more limitations? By your logic we should remove some buttons because they are only needed for SNES and you don't play SNES so why not just take them out.

So why is it better the way it is? I would like to know because I can't see any advantage.

playing the system turned 90degrees that way wouldn't be comfortable anyway.
also a lot of the vertical shmups play well horizontally(e.g., raiden, rayforce..).
I think the best way to play these vertical games would be if the screen itself could rotate, so that you wouldn't have to play the system in that awkward position. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one that would rather play with borders or just play horizontally, than to play these games with the system turned around.

your idea is just "nice, but unnecessary", and obviously too late for them to add in their design. just stop trying to get everyone to agree with you.

It won't be to late for ME to change the design. Mods begin on the day I buy one.

Oh and I Do play MAME stuff on the GP32 now 90 deg I use the rubbery button next to the stick to jump etc.. Donkey Kong, Galaga and games like that look kind of funny playing sideways ;)

DaveC posted on Aug 2 2005 at 08:32 PM said:
It won't be to late for ME to change the design. Mods begin on the day I buy one.

how do you plan to do that??

drill a couple of holes, and put a contact pad and board behind a button :) wire the shoulder buttons (or even the main buttons) to the contact pads bingo, not even the need to rewrite the software.

Back