Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
The last poll apparently had too few options. Hopefully this new and improved poll covers all the bases.

Reference images:
qr0sur.png

GP2X:
gp2xig7.jpg

This doesn't mean much. How about small pics of each so people know what they are voting for?

Is anyone going to listen to this poll anyway (it would be nice to think so, but I guess development is past that stage).

Why not asking Craigix & Co. what they have choosen? I'm sure, the devs have already a final Button layout. :) Would be much more stressfree. ;)

fusion_power said:
Why not asking Craigix & Co. what they have choosen? I'm sure, the devs have already a final Button layout. :) Would be much more stressfree. ;)
If they had a definite layout chosen, I would hope they would have said so in the discussion thread. Since we know the cases haven't been molded, it's a safe bet the buttons haven't either. There is no guarantee the winning layout will actually be used. I just wanted to settle the debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
NSEW wouldn't be that confusing if little symbols were used instead of just the letters. P&|A would be less confusing to me than any ABXY combination because I always get confused with the different ABXY layouts. I'll probably learn P&|A pretty quickly.

One thing to mention: there should be final poll between the two most popular choices.

Example:
A gets 30% of votes. B gets 29% of votes. C, D and E get the remaining 41% of votes shared somewhat equally.
In this set, A wins. But maybe majority of C, D and E voters would like B better than A.
Worst case scenario: 70% of voters HATE choice A, but would have been "OK" with B.

ps. Nintendo layout is great.

aatu said:
One thing to mention: there should be final poll between the two most popular choices.

Example:
A gets 30% of votes. B gets 29% of votes. C, D and E get the remaining 41% of votes shared somewhat equally.
In this set, A wins. But maybe majority of C, D and E voters would like B better than A.
Worst case scenario: 70% of voters HATE choice A, but would have been "OK" with B.

ps. Nintendo layout is great.
After a while, we could make a poll with the top 2. Still not perfect, but better.

I like the alpha, beta, gamma, delta idea. I think the alpha and beta should be lowercase, while the gamma and delta should be uppercase. This way they will somewhat resemble playstation symbols. If ordered as below they would also kind of map to the X-BOX and NEOGEO controls (sorry nintendo freaks, I still love you though):
alphabetagammadeltafo1.png

I don't think symbols are very developer-friendly..
It's much easier to type "PRESS A" than work with pictures of symbols...

I think the (S)NES and Megadrive/Genesis emulators are most popular, so I voted Nintendo lay-out. I also prefer the EURO-SNES controller lay-out.
I think this is a concern, from what I remember of emulating on the XBOX, it's VERY confusing when all the colours and letters are different from the ones on the screen (but inevitable):
250px-Mp3minigame.jpg

I doesn't really matter, if you're writing an game from scratch, you have to make up the messages anyway and if porting, chances are you'll have to change the messages because it refers to keyboard keys or specific joystick buttons.

Squidge said:
Why not just?

simple.png
That'd be far better than letters, letters could become confusing as there is a keyboard too.

fishybawb said:
But then the instructions "press down, left, down for special move x" gets confusing. On the d-pad, or buttons? :p
So does "Press X, Y, X, X, Y". On the d-pad or the keyboard? :)

The only thing decent is "yellow, red, green, purple" or whatever.

Back