• Retro-Gamer, didn't preorder (yet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Homebrew-Fan, I preordered

• Homebrew-Fan, didn't preorder (yet)

• Linux-Enthusiast, I preordered

• Linux-Enthusiast, didn't preorder (yet)

• Total voters

conso

Hi

Some people seem to asume the Pandora's audience is somewhat the same as the gp2x-community. I wonder if that still applies and therefor created this poll.

If you want me to change options, just tell me.

I'm a retro and homebrew fan but since I could only choose one, I put down myself for retro since I'm probably more that. I never had a GP2x or follow up either. And I did preorder :p

not a gpx2 user but the Pandora got me with both the retro gameing aspect, and a full keyboard so i can have real use as a pim ect too to me its the grail of a pocketable device atm if everything turns out smooth :>

course i cant let my lass figure it out or she'll be hounding me to sell my cab's for mo' "space " and something fun like a new laundry machine ack! :eek:

I would pretty much fall under all three of the "What describes you best?" options, but had to only pick one. That sort of thing might skew the poll results a bit. :p

I did own a GP2X (and got burned by the problems of the First Edition units, of which I was one of the pre-orderers - I was so happy when the Pandora folks said they wouldn't repeat GPH's issues with that stuff :p) for a while, and I did pre-order a Pandora. :p

conso said:
Hi

Some people seem to asume the Pandora's audience is somewhat the same as the gp2x-community. I wonder if that still applies and therefor created this poll.

If you want me to change options, just tell me.
I didn't pre-order because I found out about the Pandora after preorders had closed. I have a Thinkpad R61 for my job but it's not "mine" and I also travel for work fairly often. This gives me two reasons for owing a Pandora:
- I'd like to be able to leave my laptop at work (It's my in-office computer too, no desktop) and still have a portable (ie, not my desktop gaming system) computer to look at the webertubes and read ebooks.
- When travelling the Thinkpad is too big to open comfortably in an economy class seat, I can't play games and the battery life barely gets me from Adelaide to Perth (I'm Australian) just running MS reader or Adobe Reader.

I was researching the nokia N810 and wishing it had a little more processing power when I learned of the Pandora. N810s are available here for about $550 AUD new but I've decided to wait until I can get a Pandora as it offers so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered getting a GP* at various points but decided against it since I already had a PSP, so I really didn't see the point. I wouldn't have preordered a Pandora either if it hadn't been for the touchscreen and keyboard.

I bought my GP2X in early 2006, and it's been well-used since then (and is now disintegrating). I hope my Pandora will last me through college, as my GP2X has lasted through part of 8th grade and most of high school. :D

you should have made the linux, homebrew, and retro gamer sections separate.
I never heard of the GP2X until after I found out about the pandora to be honest

No 'all of the above'? I suppose I fit mostly into to Retro Gamer, but only by a bit...and the number of awesome homebrew games I see coming out for the Pandora might change my mind.

I guess that out of the three choices I'm mostly defined as a Retro-Gamer. I never owned a GP2X or anything like that before and it seemed really neat and interesting, so I decided to start off with the Pandora.

I didn't pre-order already because 1) I came here too late and 2) I'm more of a second batch person myself.

:huh:
I'm nothing of the above. I'm a hardware geek mostly interested in it's UMPC potential and have an affectation for ID games and RPGs(not the modern japanese kiddie-graphics style, more the medieval warrior/wizard-style). I've started with Commodore 16/116/Plus4 followed by Amiga 500 and it will be fun to play some games because of the nostalgic feeling, but if it wasn't available, I wouldn't care. I've never owned a console and won't buy one in the future, so I don't care about that emulation either, except for PC games, that have a console version. An "Other"-option would be nice. I can't vote, for now.

A combination of some retro-gaming and linux enthusiasm. Probably a bit more of the latter than the former is why I'm willing to support this project and the GP2X. I am strongly interested in systems and hardware designed to work in an open environment, because I absolutely disagree with systems which are designed to make me pay for things 10 different times for different electronic formats.

All three things.

I like classic gaming and computing, I have lots of classic machines in home and looking at the new software and hardware developments for them. I think Pandora is a great platform for emulation and being portable makes it perfect for enjoying those classics everywhere.

I like homebrew games too, I'm really tired about the situation of the games industry. Current games are too centered in audiovisual experience and forget the gameplay and fun. Games are too complex in the technical stuff that they got less funny and more into impressing to people in the tech stuff aka graphic whores and those terms. I'm also interested in certain minimalist styles more than those over-complex graphical styles.

I use GNU/Linux since many years ago and liking the Free (as in freedom) Software movement, even sharing most ideas with Richard Stallman and not being a zealot. I like a lot the flexibility and power of this big collection of software, the freedom that having the source code has and the evolutionary behaviour of this kind of software that gets very well adapted to the time in a way propietary closed-source never will be. I'm also interested in the rest of UNIX world too, but I prefer GPL licenses more over BSD ones.

There's another stuff, and it's that I always wanted a PDA and recently a UMPC. I had a second hand Palm a friend gave me, but it was in a very bad state and didn't last long enough. Now I'll get a Pandora and will able to fullfil all my desires ;)

I have been following GP32, Zodiac, Gizmondo and GP2X communities since they existed. I didn't own any of them, not convinced me enough to me. Pandora convinces me more than enough and is the kind of device I wanted to have (just lacks built-in 3.5g+ connectivity, but bluetooth and USB solves it and better because those standards are still evolving to being really universal) since more than 10 years.

I didn't pre-ordered mainly because lack of money, but the latest problems should have made me a heart attack if pre-ordered ;-)

Best poll of the year (finally not a speculation thead :D)

I will be a second-batcher and I want a pandora to play my PSX and N64 games (ok it's not so sure we will be able to emulate the Nintendo....) and like a MediaCenter...

I never used Linux but I'm pretty sure I will do it.

I still like to play classic games and I am mainly looking for a platform for emulation other than the PC because everytime I change my PC it affects emulation. It happend several times in the past that most of the fast emulators I used didn't work on my new PC anymore and I had to resort to other slow ones because they were the only ones which worked. Remeber the transition from Dos to Windows emus? - new PC => slower emulators?!. Also some PC emus are released without full screen or joypad support in the beginning. That's so stupid. The prospect of advanced emulators is what made me really pay the €250.

Apart fromt the emulation aspect, it would also be very cool if I could replace all other mobile devices with just one Pandora. I hope that quality of audio and video playback will be good and I am also thinking about ordering a USB UMTS stick for the Pandora. If I could also use a small spreadsheet and word processor applicaton, I wouldn't need another mobile device in the next 5 years. It could do everything.

I didn't select any of these, because the answer is 'all of the above'.

I'm a retor-gamer fan, and I have a collection of older games.

I'm a homebrew fan, in that I like seeing original efforts at games.

And I'm a Unix enthusiast. Note: Not 'Linux'.

This is not fair... I am all of the above (1st poll) except the one who didn't preorder.... And I could only pick one...
They should be checkboxes.

mali said:
:huh:
I'm nothing of the above. I'm a hardware geek mostly interested in it's UMPC potential and have an affectation for ID games and RPGs(not the modern japanese kiddie-graphics style, more the medieval warrior/wizard-style). I've started with Commodore 16/116/Plus4 followed by Amiga 500 and it will be fun to play some games because of the nostalgic feeling, but if it wasn't available, I wouldn't care. I've never owned a console and won't buy one in the future, so I don't care about that emulation either, except for PC games, that have a console version. An "Other"-option would be nice. I can't vote, for now.
sounds like a typical 'linux enthusiast' to me ;)

hch said:
sounds like a typical 'linux enthusiast' to me ;)
It would be the nearest option, but it would be dishonest, because I'm still a linux-n00b but at least with enthusiast potential :lol: My one and only experience with linux is Maemo and KDE on N800 so far ;)

Back