Gpx2 Ui: Odd Button Layout, Functions Etc

iainjh

Still Fresh
Hi all

Does anyone know - is skinning likely to also include UI functionality? Changing the default button layouts in the menus?

The 1st thing I noticed with the GP2x was its bizarre UI button layout & functionality. It's so odd, it's as if Gamepark willfully wanted it to be the opposite of what you'd expect. Even if you think of the button locations its got to be the most counter-unintuitive UI layout possible! i.e.

B is the button you need to push to carry out an 'action', but the B button is not south or west (of the 4 buttons) where everyone else has it..

A is actually cancel or go back

Start goes back up the tree to the main menu. Not start, just the reverse..

Select doesnt 'select' , action or .. or do anything (does it?).

PS2 and Xbox etc Console 'action' and 'back' buttons follow standards.. even PS2 games are in one of 2 standard layouts ( largely depending if the game is western or eastern in origin) but GP2 has it all crossed over so you generally 'exit' when you want to 'action'.

Now, this isn't a dealbreaker or would finally put me off the whole GP2x as a package, but am I the only one who thinks the UI button layout is plain odd? Has this observation been raised before? It'd be great news if the current layout was temporary (or even better, one day when it all works :) GP would add alternatives in the options. I really hope so!

So does anyone please know - will skinning also include UI functionality? thoughts?

cheers

The weird layout was the first i noticed on the gp2x menu.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I personally would expect this:

A = return / yes / enter / go
X (B on every other console) = no / back / escape / abort
start = A / pause

PSyMastR posted on Dec 4 2005 at 01:52 PM said:
Im probably going to open it up and switch around the buttons physically.

You do know that if you switch them around, most other programs will use the original layout, causing you to become confuzzled.

Last edited by a moderator:
JaqMs posted on Dec 4 2005 at 03:24 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Dec 4 2005 at 01:52 PM said:
Im probably going to open it up and switch around the buttons physically.

You do know that if you switch them around, most other programs will use the original layout, causing you to become confuzzled.
Ya, but Im gunna hope they all have configurable keys.

while we are talking about layout....
Well, i think those diagonal are boring, because when you want to hit right, it hits right+up.
Could it be possible to disable diagonals via firmware (if it use software like volume button, which you can use in Duke3d for exemple...)

actually, there are many ps2 games that have the "o" button as the action button, which is located on the "east". However, i do agree that this is weird, but you will get used to it.

deadlychicken22 said:
actually, there are many ps2 games that have the "o" button as the action button, which is located on the "east".

Japanese games do this. Cultural difference ;)

actually thats right about the eastern/ japanese games -which equals 2 standards. but GP2x's controls being inverted is ridiculous.

iainjh posted on Dec 4 2005 at 07:50 PM said:
Hi all

Does anyone know - is skinning likely to also include UI functionality? Changing the default button layouts in the menus?

The 1st thing I noticed with the GP2x was its bizarre UI button layout & functionality. It's so odd, it's as if Gamepark willfully wanted it to be the opposite of what you'd expect. Even if you think of the button locations its got to be the most counter-unintuitive UI layout possible! i.e.

B is the button you need to push to carry out an 'action', but the B button is not south or west (of the 4 buttons) where everyone else has it..

A is actually cancel or go back

Start goes back up the tree to the main menu. Not start, just the reverse..

Select doesnt 'select' , action or .. or do anything (does it?).

PS2 and Xbox etc Console 'action' and 'back' buttons follow standards.. even PS2 games are in one of 2 standard layouts ( largely depending if the game is western or eastern in origin) but GP2 has it all crossed over so you generally 'exit' when you want to 'action'.

Now, this isn't a dealbreaker or would finally put me off the whole GP2x as a package, but am I the only one who thinks the UI button layout is plain odd? Has this observation been raised before? It'd be great news if the current layout was temporary (or even better, one day when it all works :) GP would add alternatives in the options. I really hope so!

So does anyone please know - will skinning also include UI functionality? thoughts?

cheers

that you in ur pic?

Back