Networkmanager - might connect a bit faster

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
If you run "Upgrade pandora OS" you'll get some NetworkManager hacks (reboot or manual NetworkManager restart required). The problem with NetworkManager was that it tended to randomly request scans, even during critical events like association with AP, as well as while being connected.  As our internal wifi firmware is rather fragile, those requests are likely to trigger bugs and cause problems like desynchronization from the AP, and may be the reason some people get disconnections.

The hacks disable all that excessive scanning. I don't know why it was scanning while connected at in first place, the code mentions roaming, but that's supposed to be handled by the kernel and wpa_supplicant, not NM.

So it would be nice to get some testing. The changes affect wifi sticks too, so their users should also report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a preference for what we test, USB or internal?  I have issues with internal, but have never noticed them with USB.

Installed and rebooted, so far so good. (Internal Wi-fi)

Seems stable so far and I am about to try installing via PND manager which is where I usually notice wifi slowdown.

EDIT: So far it seems to be a smoother download but still fairly slow. I will let you know if anything else seems worth reporting. Let me know if there any specific tests you would like me to run.

EDIT 2: Tried a big download (Fish Fillets NG) and it is very jittery. Might just be that download of course but this is what it was like before, stopping and starting and 700k/sec roughly, usually get fairly close to 2000k/sec.

EDIT 2: Tried a big download (Fish Fillets NG) and it is very jittery. Might just be that download of course but this is what it was like before, stopping and starting and 700k/sec roughly, usually get fairly close to 2000k/sec.
Wow, you get 2000k with internal?  I am lucky to get that 700k you mentioned, it is usually much lower.

Do you have a preference for what we test, USB or internal? I have issues with internal, but have never noticed them with USB.
Not really, but you can check if it didn't break USB, I don't have any USB sticks here.
So far it seems to be a smoother download but still fairly slow.
Well it's not going to help download speed, it's about the time it takes to connect to access point after wifi is enabled and maybe about disconnections.

Works fine on my CC Pandora. Connects almost instantly instead of half a minute later now.
Good work!  :)

So far it seems to be a smoother download but still fairly slow.
Well it's not going to help download speed, it's about the time it takes to connect to access point after wifi is enabled and maybe about disconnections.
Ah - misread the topic, yes! After a proper session last night with some net testing it is pretty solid now and apart from that one PND it was actually a lot smoother and consistent so I would say it was a success :)

Wow, you get 2000k with internal?  I am lucky to get that 700k you mentioned, it is usually much lower.
And I'm lucky when I get 70kb/s! And still have no clue why, maybe the internal antenna is covered, there were some reports that this can happen. Well, I will test the new Networkmanager, maybe it magicaly fixes my WiFi issues.

Thanks notaz,

Works with internal WiFi and USB WiFi on Pandora 1 GHz. Connects much faster.

Thanks notaz, 1GHz internal wifi here. Connects much faster, seems to disconnect a bit quicker too.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,little Report from me.

Network Manager connect here much faster than normal and last Updates fixed a Font Problem with PanPlayer2 too ;)

(PanPlayer2 PND is working again)

1 GHZ System and speed is little increased too up to 800kb/s shown in PNDManager :D

No Problems with my 128 GB USB Stick here all normal.

Many Thx for this Update ^_^ ^_^

(but i must say its my Internal Wlan modded Pandora from here: )

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/13052-my-pandora-internal-wlan-mod-with-pictures/

with little Antenna :rolleyes:

Is there any chance of tweaking Network manager so it can recognize and configure the usb0 interface when it is available?

- Neelix

If you run "Upgrade pandora OS" you'll get some NetworkManager hacks (reboot or manual NetworkManager restart required). The problem with NetworkManager was that it tended to randomly request scans, even during critical events like association with AP, as well as while being connected.  As our internal wifi firmware is rather fragile, those requests are likely to trigger bugs and cause problems like desynchronization from the AP, and may be the reason some people get disconnections.

The hacks disable all that excessive scanning. I don't know why it was scanning while connected at in first place, the code mentions roaming, but that's supposed to be handled by the kernel and wpa_supplicant, not NM.

So it would be nice to get some testing. The changes affect wifi sticks too, so their users should also report back.
Connects/disconnects are faster on my Rebirth unit too, otherwise I did not notice any differences regarding overall stability or roaming 

Why can't we use WICD?
Don't know for sure, but I guess two big reasons could be:

- no time at hand

- no motivation to do so

No noticeable difference here - still takes forever to connect (CC 256 Mb Pandora) and still awful download speeds. That might be PNDManager at fault though, as I get a decent speed (about half my actual bandwidth) on the first PND download, and 50KB/sec (1/10th of full speed) for all subsequent downloads.

D.

Back