My first impressions of the Pyra

Modemmanager should do everything automatically, but it only works if the modem device shows up, which it sometimes doesn't do for some reason.
It might be it's beeing blocked by rfkill, so check "sudo rfkill" and check if wwan is unblocked there ("sudo rfkill unblock wwan" should make the device appear again).

Uncommenting the "rfkill block wwan" on line 11 in /usr/share/pyra/scripts/wwan-off might help too. (put a # in front of it).

The problem is that it very rarely fails on my unit, which makes it really hard to debug.

Also, there seems to be some confusion regarding the sim card. It needs the older larger sized sim.
other sized sims can be forced in there, but this is what it should look like :

Attachments

• pyra-sim2.jpeg
    pyra-sim2.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 152
  • pyra-sim.jpeg
    pyra-sim.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 153
Modemmanager should do everything automatically, but it only works if the modem device shows up, which it sometimes doesn't do for some reason.
It might be it's beeing blocked by rfkill, so check "sudo rfkill" and check if wwan is unblocked there ("sudo rfkill unblock wwan" should make the device appear again).

Uncommenting the "rfkill block wwan" on line 11 in /usr/share/pyra/scripts/wwan-off might help too. (put a # in front of it).

The problem is that it very rarely fails on my unit, which makes it really hard to debug.
aTc, you got a nice hint for me.

inqui@Pyra:~$ sudo rfkill
ID TYPE DEVICE SOFT HARD
0 wwan WWAN blocked unblocked
1 bluetooth hci0 unblocked unblocked
2 wlan phy0 unblocked unblocked
inqui@Pyra:~$ sudo rfkill unblock wwan
inqui@Pyra:~$ sudo rfkill
ID TYPE DEVICE SOFT HARD
0 wwan WWAN unblocked unblocked
1 bluetooth hci0 unblocked unblocked
2 wlan phy0 unblocked unblocked

after shutdown and boot it´s back in blocked. So I uncommented line 11 in that file, which you mentioned, but after a shutdown it´s again blocked until I unblock it manually.
And it still didn´t shown me as a usb device or in modemmanager so far.

But currently I only see one single USB device instead of two (most of the time)

So I will continue monitoring this, maybe it shows up in the next days.
At least I have something to check myself

Please let me get a noob question as well.
How I get any sign of life from the 4g modem ?
lsusb shows me two devices, sometimes just one:
Standard Microsystems Corp.
Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Modem Manager can't find such a device connected.

So I dont need it now, but I want to ensure that it's propper connected and I can use it, whe software is smooth running.
SIM is already inserted

And yes, I choosed EU mobile edition and have an IMEI label inside.
modem shall appear under device tree at /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1 or something like that. If it is not there, that may be issue with loading of modem driver or power supply or something like that. If there is /dev/ttyACM0, you shall be able to talk with the modem using modemmanager or sending AT commands directly using picocom or minocom.

modem shall appear under device tree at /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1 or something like that. If it is not there, that may be issue with loading of modem driver or power supply or something like that. If there is /dev/ttyACM0, you shall be able to talk with the modem using modemmanager or sending AT commands directly using picocom or minocom.
hi docbroke,
just a quick test this morning showed only tty till tty63, ttyO2/3/5and tty S0 till S3

after rfkill unblock ttyACM0 till 4 appeared.
I will try to address the modem with picocom or minocom later, maybe this evening.

ah, the voice of an angel

i used Mathematica in college/university, and got a raspberry pi to use it for free from time to time.

i haven't tried Octave, but i've used pari-gp a bit and that's fun. syntax takes a bit of getting used to, though.
If you liked Mathematica, you should be able to run Maxima on the Pyra. It's a standard Debian package and available for the armhf hardware. I use Maxima for teaching and, although the syntax is different to Mathematica's, it works very well generally.

Same with me! His course on Machine Learning is fun.
i love the way andrew ng tries to develop your "intuition" of things like hidden layers of neural networks.
pretty high expectations of his students, but an outstanding teacher

If you liked Mathematica, you should be able to run Maxima on the Pyra. It's a standard Debian package and available for the armhf hardware. I use Maxima for teaching and, although the syntax is different to Mathematica's, it works very well generally.
maxima .... yes. looking attractive these days.
seems to tick all the boxes

i might even try to run some of those old TI calculator emulators
those CAS's were cool

Youtube seems to have rendered it in about 1080p when I just watched it. I couldn't see any obvious signs of upscaling.

I wonder if it might be better to show off DS gaming mostly if you go into the mode that only shows the top screen; or does it run slower needing the draw so much more graphics?

It does look a little weird the way you keep needing to check your watch, but then I remembered you explained you'd connected your watch to your camera and could check it there and control it. It might still be a little more professional if maybe you hung up your watch on a peg out of shot, so you could simply look over to check it's still recording.

But in any case, new pyra videos are always appreciated in these parts. Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, it’s my first Video whit this setup, so I think the next time I try to hold my watch outside of the Camera Look Area,
This was filmed whit my IPhone, because this way it’s easyer for me..
I don’t know If this Filming Technic was better, but at least it was easy to hold the Pyra in the Camera as it was identic whit my Look Area..

The next Video is when there are some more Games as DBP, so hopefully fullscreen or at least bigger..

Not send from my Pyra, but my Pyra is also here whit me ^^

Shouldn’t it be Open Sourced?
It’s actually the only Gaming App I have on the Pyra, expect of the Gnome Games.., I had feared that whe would have to stick whit the Pyra only as Work Handheld in the first few months

Not send from my Pyra, but my Pyra is also here whit me ^^

Back