My first impressions of the Pyra

Its luckily only happening at _some_ settings. So far, but who knows if i dont want say exactly that brightness when trying to read a book at night?

I'll probably want to dim the display, everytime I'm not out in direct sunlight.

Reactions: rSl
The screen on the Pyra is pretty good and vibrant, It's not dull like on the Pandora.
And it would be much better without that resistive layer that donwgrades image by lowering contrast/bright and worse by creating a lot of irregular light reflections on that flexible plastic layer that resistive technology uses.

So, no being better than Pandora is not the question. The question is Pyra being better without resistive layer than Pyra with it.

Its luckily only happening at _some_ settings. So far, but who knows if i dont want say exactly that brightness when trying to read a book at night?

Oh? How did you manage to get that?
Since we fixed the original whining coils with multiple capacitors, I've never experienced that issue before?

Are you using some weird settings here?
Post automatically merged:

And it would be much better without that resistive layer that donwgrades image by lowering contrast/bright and worse by creating a lot of irregular light reflections on that flexible plastic layer that resistive technology uses.

So, no being better than Pandora is not the question. The question is Pyra being better without resistive layer than Pyra with it.
The original screen is also reflective, so there's not really a difference. But as it's only glued to the sides, you can remove the touchscreen if you like.

But as it's only glued to the sides, you can remove the touchscreen if you like.
And then he can glue it on the back of the lid, patch the driver and recalibrate, and learn to use the stylus from the other side of the screen, where he won't fear reflections and brightness loss, if the Pyra is not niche enough for him...
If he then hooks handwriting recognition to a shell he can just hand-write commands with the lid closed... Absolutely pointless but top freak.

The original screen is also reflective, so there's not really a difference. But as it's only glued to the sides, you can remove the touchscreen if you like.

Yes, but not so much reflective and totally without irregular reflections a resistive layer imply.

Simply resistive layer add more reflections and, much worse, irregular reflections. Now I have a Nintendo DS on my hand: lower screen (resistive) is worse by that extra reflections and irregular reflections (and upper display has a rigid protective plastic cover, without that cover it has much less reflections).

But it could be I try to remove that layer, at least when I have Pyra and there are LCD display replacements on shop :)
Post automatically merged:

And then he can glue it on the back of the lid, patch the driver and recalibrate, and learn to use the stylus from the other side of the screen, where he won't fear reflections and brightness loss, if the Pyra is not niche enough for him...
If he then hooks handwriting recognition to a shell he can just hand-write commands with the lid closed... Absolutely pointless but top freak.

You have proved you can be a REAL TROLL :)

Of course, you can enjoy your defective touch system not working near borders, and enjoy with all that extra and irregular reflections.

PD: I have mentioned and defended Pyra in other forums/blogs, but with people like you I think of not doing it. I have never seen so troll on this forum.

Last edited:
And then come back here and complain that his handwriting is terrible.

:)

KIDDING!

I was thinking people following Pyra was not so troll or troll-enjoying and/or stupid like normal people, but now I know I was wrong :)

I talk about a defect on Pyra (a touch system not working near borders) and an option to eliminate that touch system and improve screen image (removing that fault touch system), and I encounter a troll, and even worse a others enjoying trolling and kidding about it.

Well, enjoy.

I guess you've encountered a group that (like myself) enjoyed their pandora, and is already very content with having a better screen than their pandora. Mosly even enjoying the prospect of having their pyra soon rather than no pyra. And I think not many people are willing to go as far as you to remove the touchscreen for an up to now theoretical impovement of the screen that comes at the cost of removing a working feature. Since the touchscreen does work but maybe not at the edges but we non pyra users have no idea of how big the not working area is and if that will even bother us, while having the option to use touch is nice on these types of devices.

Mmm... I just graduated from amateur troll to real troll, and if I come to the point now I may never end being a professional troll like @RobertTaylor was once called (just to poke him out of his class, I guess, but that's another story) but I'll bite.

What I'm puzzled about now is just what are you @oskda?
You come with a point that has been talked at design time, years ago, and repeat it when the Pyra is shipping, and suggest infrared, underscreen digitizer or just no touchscreen.
Several people dismiss your concerns because they like the screen visibility as is, and basically don't worry than 8.5% of pixels are not touch sensitive.
They explain than IR and digitizers are like made of unobtanium for such a project and ED himself explains that removing the touchscreen is an option because after all this is a hackable device, not a sealed iPhone.
But no, you want to complicate ED business and have him offer an option without touchscreen because 0% sensitive pixels is better than just 91.5% (and I wonder, with a completely stylusless new case, or just with a nonworking stylus because of lack of touchscreen?).
If you know better you can design and build your own device for yourself or for sale, or just modify your Pyra to your heart content, but what are you expecting from the community, to cry with you for the design choices at shipping time ?
Honest question: What do you expect from the community and how are you expecting us to see you ?

Your dear troll

Touch screen issues are pretty unfortunate but I'm probably going to use my Pyra to do math exercises from books I read so I like the touch screen. It's also handy when emulating the DS. It's unfortunate that it does not work well at the borders, though.

Touch screen issues are pretty unfortunate but I'm probably going to use my Pyra to do math exercises from books I read so I like the touch screen. It's also handy when emulating the DS. It's unfortunate that it does not work well at the borders, though.

Playing DS games shouldn't be an issue, as they are setup for touchscreens and usually don't use the borders as well.
It's only really an issue if you have small window decorations and try to hit the scroll bar / close button, but as mentioned, touch-scrolling is supported by most apps or you can also define one nub to be a scroll wheel and scroll the content of windows in all directions :)
The nub buttons are not yet properly implemented in funkeymonkey (the daemon that handles all input on the Pyra), but this will work in the future.

Obligatory complain: The keyboard layout is terrible.
If only we had discussed this more!
On a srs note: the Numbers are best to reach but used too little, they kinda block the comfortable letter position. Gonna mod that i guess.

The odd placement of the Pandora's numbers taught me how much they're needed. I already shifted my grip between using the game controls and typing on the keyboard, but with the Pyra's keys being identical in texture (only different in shape) to the game buttons, maybe I can use those more in complicated games like oolite. 1-4 for viewports are handy, and I should be able to reach E for ECM, and some other keys easily. It shouldn't need the complicated chorded keymappings the Pandora port had, that I tend to forget every time I go back to it.

Since we fixed the original whining coils with multiple capacitors, I've never experienced that issue before?

Heard it several times as well.
And sound changed slightly when cpu led was flashing.

But did just normal stuff, no stress.
Wifi and browsing in guess

Oh, you could relate to an audio issue!
It seems the speakers are not muted when no audio is playing and instead some audible noise is coming from them.
Even when the volume is lowered or muted!

Try if it's still there when you play audio.

As I've seen, no linux automatically mutes the speakers at any time, including when no sound is meant to be playing. It could probably be made to do this, but I've not seen it done before now. It might be instructive to see if muthing the speakers in pavucontrol actually mutes the sound, or if it's caused by EMF or basic ripple on one of the lines after the point where the CPU does the muting.

This is a lot better today. Still audible for autistic audiophiles, but less than i had yesterday.
Could air humidity have an influence on that? The unit spent days in cold transport trucks until arriving here, might have been damp in the inside.
Now after a day in the warmth...

• Love
Reactions: rSl
This is a lot better today. Still audible for autistic audiophiles, but less than i had yesterday.
Could air humidity have an influence on that? The unit spent days in cold transport trucks until arriving here, might have been damp in the inside.
Now after a day in the warmth...
Maybe. Make sure it's not the speakers though - if it's gone when you play audio, it's not a whining coil but the speakers.

Back