My first impressions of the Pyra

pyrat

Very Active Member
Mmm... I just graduated from amateur troll to real troll, and if I come to the point now I may never end being a professional troll like @RobertTaylor was once called (just to poke him out of his class, I guess, but that's another story) but I'll bite.

What I'm puzzled about now is just what are you @oskda?
You come with a point that has been talked at design time, years ago, and repeat it when the Pyra is shipping, and suggest infrared, underscreen digitizer or just no touchscreen.
Several people dismiss your concerns because they like the screen visibility as is, and basically don't worry than 8.5% of pixels are not touch sensitive.
They explain than IR and digitizers are like made of unobtanium for such a project and ED himself explains that removing the touchscreen is an option because after all this is a hackable device, not a sealed iPhone.
But no, you want to complicate ED business and have him offer an option without touchscreen because 0% sensitive pixels is better than just 91.5% (and I wonder, with a completely stylusless new case, or just with a nonworking stylus because of lack of touchscreen?).
If you know better you can design and build your own device for yourself or for sale, or just modify your Pyra to your heart content, but what are you expecting from the community, to cry with you for the design choices at shipping time ?
Honest question: What do you expect from the community and how are you expecting us to see you ?

Your dear troll

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
Touch screen issues are pretty unfortunate but I'm probably going to use my Pyra to do math exercises from books I read so I like the touch screen. It's also handy when emulating the DS. It's unfortunate that it does not work well at the borders, though.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Touch screen issues are pretty unfortunate but I'm probably going to use my Pyra to do math exercises from books I read so I like the touch screen. It's also handy when emulating the DS. It's unfortunate that it does not work well at the borders, though.

Playing DS games shouldn't be an issue, as they are setup for touchscreens and usually don't use the borders as well.
It's only really an issue if you have small window decorations and try to hit the scroll bar / close button, but as mentioned, touch-scrolling is supported by most apps or you can also define one nub to be a scroll wheel and scroll the content of windows in all directions :)
The nub buttons are not yet properly implemented in funkeymonkey (the daemon that handles all input on the Pyra), but this will work in the future.

elw3

ƐʍlƎ
Obligatory complain: The keyboard layout is terrible.
If only we had discussed this more!
On a srs note: the Numbers are best to reach but used too little, they kinda block the comfortable letter position. Gonna mod that i guess.

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member
I am going to disagree. I need the numbers row. I'm right and you are wrong.

:)

EDIT: Were you thinking of mapping the numbers to the bottom row and moving all the letters up one row? Hmmm ...

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
The odd placement of the Pandora's numbers taught me how much they're needed. I already shifted my grip between using the game controls and typing on the keyboard, but with the Pyra's keys being identical in texture (only different in shape) to the game buttons, maybe I can use those more in complicated games like oolite. 1-4 for viewports are handy, and I should be able to reach E for ECM, and some other keys easily. It shouldn't need the complicated chorded keymappings the Pandora port had, that I tend to forget every time I go back to it.

Inqui

Very Active Member
Oh? How did you manage to get that?
Since we fixed the original whining coils with multiple capacitors, I've never experienced that issue before?

Are you using some weird settings here?

Heard it several times as well.
And sound changed slightly when cpu led was flashing.

But did just normal stuff, no stress.
Wifi and browsing in guess

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, you could relate to an audio issue!
It seems the speakers are not muted when no audio is playing and instead some audible noise is coming from them.
Even when the volume is lowered or muted!

Try if it's still there when you play audio.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
As I've seen, no linux automatically mutes the speakers at any time, including when no sound is meant to be playing. It could probably be made to do this, but I've not seen it done before now. It might be instructive to see if muthing the speakers in pavucontrol actually mutes the sound, or if it's caused by EMF or basic ripple on one of the lines after the point where the CPU does the muting.

elw3

ƐʍlƎ
Oh? How did you manage to get that?
Since we fixed the original whining coils with multiple capacitors, I've never experienced that issue before?

Are you using some weird settings here?
This is a lot better today. Still audible for autistic audiophiles, but less than i had yesterday.
Could air humidity have an influence on that? The unit spent days in cold transport trucks until arriving here, might have been damp in the inside.
Now after a day in the warmth...

• Love
Reactions: rSl

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
This is a lot better today. Still audible for autistic audiophiles, but less than i had yesterday.
Could air humidity have an influence on that? The unit spent days in cold transport trucks until arriving here, might have been damp in the inside.
Now after a day in the warmth...
Maybe. Make sure it's not the speakers though - if it's gone when you play audio, it's not a whining coil but the speakers.

Inqui

Very Active Member
Maybe. Make sure it's not the speakers though - if it's gone when you play audio, it's not a whining coil but the speakers.
Had it now again, this time whining at around 0.5hz and constantainly.
Almost not hearable as i had Straßenbahn and normal urban noise.
AND the whining from my HP elitebook is way more disturbing, when its plugged in (that sound was next to me as well)

So now to what I faced:
Pyra was charging (1.7A port) and turned off.
I booted and had it running for ~3 min opening an browser with wifi on, so no reason to get higher temperature.
Bat level were at 93%
Squishy sound came out of the device.

As you meantioned i tried to "play music".
Quickest idea to generate sound was to set speakers at 100% and try to add more to generate that systemsound "ping".
I was able to hear the "ping" sound and that the speakers had power for additional ~5sec to make a static noise.
During the static noise I could clearly hear a shifted sound of my 0,5hz whining. More deeper. After these 5sec it returned to normal.

As I still had it wired I removed the cable and sound was immidiatly gone.

Was able to replicate this twice.

Next time (10min later, when i plugged power in again) it was a different sound, more constant and now I started a webstream to generate continuues sound and play around with powerlevel.
Outcome, it's not affected by music. If you have it loud or not, it's still there until you pull the wire.

Then I tried the USB 3 port and I got a different noise here. More a fast ticking but different here.

And on both ports sound appear when its charging or not (just what MATE is showing me)

Hope this helps :)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
AAhh, well, power supplies can indeed cause such effects.

What actually causes such "whining" is usually vibrating capacitors. If they hit the resonance frequency of the PCB, the PCB starts to vibrate which turns into the noise you can hear.

Power Supplies (especially cheaper ones) can cause different vibrations - which lead to that issue. It can basically happen with any device.
The first power supplies Craig sourced from China for the Pandora actually caused the touchscreen to stop working, as the power signal was VERY unclean.

Please try a different power supply and cable to see if that changes something!

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
Yeah I've been charging via a USB 3 port on my desktop and don't notice such noises, but that said I have some poor hearing, too much Metal music.