Release Mutt, Links2 and gCalctool

Thanks. I found that cfg file, but the field is currently empty. Could you please give me an example of what a path should look like?
On my Pandora i've put my home-dir on a sd-card, so it reads:

Code:
download_dir "/home/mash/downloads/"

If you don't have your home on a sd-card (most likely), it should possibly read something like this:

Code:
download_dir "/media/YOUR_SD_CARD_NAME/path/to/your/downloads/"

Please do keep in mind that on Linux everything is case-sensitive. So if your sd-card is named "PNDs" and you want to use the directory "Downloads" in the root on that, it should read:

Code:
download_dir "/media/PNDs/Downloads/"

I hope these examples will help you.

Thanks, I got it working.

This browser is very nice, the quickest and most intuitive one on the Pandora so far. It seems tailor-made for the Pandora's controls.

The one remaining annoyance I have with it is that pgUp/pgDown are a bit too exact; in Firefox and Chrome, pressing those will make you scroll MOST of the way down to the "next page", but not entirely. With Links, I'm often left with trying to read half a line of text, then pressing PgDown and reading the bottom half of it. Is there any way to change that to not go ENTIRELY to the next page?

The reason I ask is that I don't like to use the mouse & scroll-bar for scrolling; it's inconvenient. In Firefox and Chrome, I use mostly the d-pad. In Links, the d-pad is already being used, so I'm left with only pgUp/pgDown.

Another alternative would be to map up & down on the right nub to the mouse scroll-wheel instead of to double-click & middle-click (which are not needed in a browser, anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
The one remaining annoyance I have with it is that pgUp/pgDown are a bit too exact;

Is there any way to change that to not go ENTIRELY to the next page?

Another alternative would be to map up & down on the right nub to the mouse scroll-wheel instead of to double-click & middle-click (which are not needed in a browser, anyway).
I know what you mean, and it would be really nice to have a line-by-line-scrolling!

But i've unfortunately not found a way to set/bind this via the cfg.-file. It seems that Links2 already supports the mouse-wheel(!) for this kind of scrolling (as stated on the Features-Page), but i've no idea how to get the nubs to behave like a mouse-wheel.

So i'm afraid the only way to change this would be to alter/add this functionality direct in the source-code and do a recompile.

EDIT: tried the "scroll-by-mousewheel" with Links2 on my netbook, and it works!

Now we only have to figure out how to make the nub(s) behave like a mouse-wheel...

EDIT: tried the "scroll-by-mousewheel" with Links2 on my netbook, and it works!
Now we only have to figure out how to make the nub(s) behave like a mouse-wheel...
You know, I don't know if this helps, but I believe it's possible to set that in the "Nubs" menu in Xfce settings... (I just don't want to change my settings every time I open Links, that's all; I'd prefer for it to override the defaults)

You know, I don't know if this helps, but I believe it's possible to set that in the "Nubs" menu in Xfce settings... (I just don't want to change my settings every time I open Links, that's all; I'd prefer for it to override the defaults)
I am so blind... (not literally). Thank you very much for pointing me into the right direction. :)

So here's a new Links2 PND, which now contains two (virtual) applications.

The one named "Links2 (Scrollmode)" will now set the right nub to scrollmode, adjusts scroll-speed and -sensitivity (actual values are saved before that), starts Links2 and restores your nubmode and -values afterwards.

The other just named "Links2" will work as before, not touching your right nub.

Please tell me your opinion on that!

Thank you, that works very well! To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone would NOT want to use the scrollwheel version. What's the advantage of the other one?

Now the only thing left is to assign O to opening a new window. ;)

There's one thing that I haven't quite figured out, though... is it posible to copy&paste anything in Links? I know that you can copy links, at least, by pressing c, but how do you paste them?...

EDIT: Never mind... by pressing ctrl+v of course, silly me. Though it does seem that you can copy&paste ONLY links. Ah well, that's mostly what I'd use it for, anyway.

EDIT2: Ok, I figured out what the disadvantage of the scrolling version is: While you can scroll (and scroll sideways, as well!), you cannot use left or right mouse clicks. Personally, I don't use the Home and End keys much in Links, and would like it if the mouse clicks were mapped to A and B. I know some others might object, but I think that would be more comfortable...

Maybe Home and End could be mapped to H and E instead, since those keys aren't used currently... though to be honest, I wouldn't miss them much if they were gone. .. Actually, never mind, it would be silly to map them to H and E because you couldn't use those keys when writing text then, I think...

Anyway, even with no mouseclicks, Links is quite usable, just by using the dpad to navigate links.

Ok, just realized something else... the right direction on the d-pad basically works as a left-click, so we've got that covered. The only thing missing now is the right-click. When you right-click, it brings up a menu allowing you to download (d), copy link location © or open link in a new window. The first two functions can be done just by pressing the keys. If you manage to assign the latter to the O key, then we won't need the mouse buttons at all (although even now, you can just press Esc while hovering over a link and choose that option under the Links menu).

EDIT: On further thought. there IS a problem with not having left&right mouse clicks: it is impossible to minimize the Links window. You have to close it. Clicking on the taskbar doesn't do anything.

I think my preferred solution would be to assign the mouse clicks to A and B, and move Home and End to the L and R shoulder buttons... they don't seem to be in use currently. Would be really nice if that were possible. :)

I am so blind... (not literally). Thank you very much for pointing me into the right direction. :)

So here's a new Links2 PND, which now contains two (virtual) applications.

The one named "Links2 (Scrollmode)" will now set the right nub to scrollmode, adjusts scroll-speed and -sensitivity (actual values are saved before that), starts Links2 and restores your nubmode and -values afterwards.

The other just named "Links2" will work as before, not touching your right nub.

Please tell me your opinion on that!

hi

anychance of being able to configure what nubs do? cause i use my right nub normaly to move mouse and left nub as mouse buttons, so the right nub scrollversion is diffcult for me to use!

thanks

If you manage to assign the latter to the O key, then we won't need the mouse buttons at all
Just peeking at the source in this moment. But it seems that my czech is a little rusty (all comments in the source and the developers docs are in czech)... :blink:

EDIT: On further thought. there IS a problem with not having left&right mouse clicks: it is impossible to minimize the Links window. You have to close it. Clicking on the taskbar doesn't do anything.
Try ALT+F9 in Xfce. It works for me.

But maybe there's no need to use my "scrollmode"-version: sometimes it really helps to read the documentation (rtfm, as always). From the Links2-documentation:

Scrolling a page is simple too. In graphics mode you can scroll using scrollbar situated on the right side of the frame. You can also scroll by cursor arrows. Keys cudl{PAGE UP} and PAGE DOWN serve purpose of shifting to previous or next page of the document. You can scroll by one page also by pressing space bar. Keys HOME and END move to beginning or end of document, respectively. If you have a mouse with wheel, you can scroll in vertical direction in graphics mode using this wheel. If you have a mouse with two wheels, the first wheel (usually in place of middle button) serves vertical scrolling and second wheel (usually in right button) serves horizontal scroll.

You can scroll at any time using the middle button: hold the middle button down and move the mouse as if you wanted to grab and slide paper page by hand. This way shifting in all direction works --- both horizontally and vertically. So if you hold middle button and move mouse to the right, the view is being moved towards left edge of the whole page. By mouse you therefore move to the other side than by scrollbar.

The same way you can move the page using right mouse button but only when you do not hit an image, link, form element and similar. If you hit it with right button, a menu of actions appears that can be performed with the image, link, or element.

In text mode the keys PAGE UP , PAGE DOWN , HOME , END and space work analogically. As cursor arrows are used for movement over the links, the page is to be moved to the left and right by keys $[$ and $]$ , in up/down direction by keys INSERT and DELETE (or by CTRL +p a CTRL +n .
Maybe that's sufficient? Middle-click is by default also bound to the right nub. Push it down (or right, for right-click) and hold it, while using the left nub to scroll the page.

I think my preferred solution would be to assign the mouse clicks to A and B, and move Home and End to the L and R shoulder buttons... they don't seem to be in use currently. Would be really nice if that were possible. :)
That's not so easy i'm afraid, because Links2 uses the keyboard-layout given from the OS. So to make this work, you'll have to modify your .pndXmodmap.

anychance of being able to configure what nubs do? cause i use my right nub normaly to move mouse and left nub as mouse buttons, so the right nub scrollversion is diffcult for me to use!
Of course, i could make this configurable. But maybe there's no need for this anymore?

(see my other post citing the Links2-documentation)

There's one thing that I haven't quite figured out, though... is it posible to copy&paste anything in Links? I know that you can copy links, at least, by pressing c, but how do you paste them?...
There's always the standard X11-feature, which also works in links: mark the text using your mouse (left button pressed) and then paste it with middle-button (right nub down).

If you manage to assign the latter to the O key, then we won't need the mouse buttons at all
Just peeking at the source in this moment. But it seems that my czech is a little rusty (all comments in the source and the developers docs are in czech)... :blink:
Copy&paste into Google Translate? That's what I do when I come across unfamiliar languages.

There's always the standard X11-feature, which also works in links: mark the text using your mouse (left button pressed) and then paste it with middle-button (right nub down).
I can't highlight any text with the left button in Links, like in other browsers. Anyway, as I said, it doesn't matter much - I usually only want to copy URLs, anyway.

I'll try out scrolling with the middle button, but it didn't work for me before (maybe because I wasn't holding it). In any case, I suspect using the right nub to scroll around may be more comfortable for me, so I'll see which one I end up preferring...

Thanks for telling me about Alt+F9.

That's not so easy i'm afraid, because Links2 uses the keyboard-layout given from the OS. So to make this work, you'll have to modify your .pndXmodmap.
How does ScummVM do it? (assigning left+right clicks to A&B, that is)

Copy&paste into Google Translate? That's what I do when I come across unfamiliar languages.
This is cool for some short headlines or news, but not for longer (mainly technical) documents. Only my opinion and experience here, of course... :)

I can't highlight any text with the left button in Links, like in other browsers.
Strange, this works here flawlessly. And i'm only using the nubs for highlighting:

screenshot110313-links-highlight.png

Just hold your right nub to the left (keep holding!) and at the same time move the cursor with the left nub. As this is a standard X11-Feature, it will work in most of your running apps out-of-the-box - same goes for pasting with middle-click (right nub down).

How does ScummVM do it? (assigning left+right clicks to A&B, that is)
I'm not sure about that - maybe the scummvm-people completly wrote their own keyboard-handlers on a higher level?!

After peeking into various source-files of links i decided to leave it at the moment, because it's too complex to get into it without proper documentation. If you take a look at the sources of Links (eg. "kbd.c") you can see some funky things going on there...

But i'm thinking of writing an email to the Authors of Links2, asking them to implement the "o"-key for new windows. What do you think about that?

I can highlight things fine, but Links crashes when I press ctrl+c.

Also, I tried alt+f9. That minimizes it, all right, but I can't open it again because the right nub is still mapped to the scroll wheel. I ended up having to reboot my system.

When there's an easy way to reassign the mappings of all Pandora inputs, and to switch between them by pressing a simple key combination, this and many other problems will disappear. And lefties will no longer complain. And people will be able to type in other languages. Etc etc... I hope someone's working on it, somewhere...

I can highlight things fine, but Links crashes when I press ctrl+c.
It doesn't crash, it just closes/quits. CTRL+C is the common combination for terminal-apps to stop them. :) Just paste the highlighted text with the middle-click, no need to do ctrl-c/ctrl-v here.

Also, I tried alt+f9. That minimizes it, all right, but I can't open it again because the right nub is still mapped to the scroll wheel. I ended up having to reboot my system.
Why not use the taskbar (with stylus or finger) or alt-tab to switch to/maximize Links2 again? Rebooting seems a little bit harsh to me.

Did you try the "scrolling with middle/right-button"-feature i was citing about from the Links2-Documentation? This works great for me!

When there's an easy way to reassign the mappings of all Pandora inputs, and to switch between them by pressing a simple key combination, this and many other problems will disappear. And lefties will no longer complain. And people will be able to type in other languages. Etc etc... I hope someone's working on it, somewhere...
This could be achieved by using/loading different .pndXmodmaps at runtime, i guess.

About Links2 and development/adding features:

It seems that development on Links2 will only be done now by the authors if someone is willing to pay for it. So our only choices are 1) to pay for it or 2) to find someone familiar in czech language and willing to dig deep into the sources or 3) to be happy with what we have.

The stylus, of course! Thanks, that works. Middle-click scrolling does work for me, but I think I prefer the scroll wheel for now.

About pndXmodmaps: I don't really understand what that's about... all I'm looking for is a folder into which I can put custom key config text files, and a consistent key combination that will cycle through them. I'm not a technical guy, so I don't know if that's possible or not. I just know that it's possible in Windows.

About pndXmodmaps: I don't really understand what that's about...
If you take a look into your home-directory, there is a "hidden" file named .pndXmodmap.

Take a peek at it, and you'll see keycodes and symbols. I'm shortening that a bit now, because keyboard-handling in x11 is sadly very complicated (more detailed informations about that can be found eg. here).

Search this forum and you'll find some threads about hints on editing this file.

So a possible solution to your problem could be:

- copy and edit this file for every layout you need and put the resulting files into a folder (eg. on your home-dir)

- write a program (or shell-script) which loops through this folder, and "xmodmap"s these files one by another (but only one at a time, of course :) )

- assign a hotkey in xfce to this script/program

Sorry, no Windows-like solution here, i'd guess... :blink:

Links2 refused to start (along with some other programs, such as "CPU-Speed"). Do you know what may have caused it?

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//links.pnd -e ./start.sh -b links

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon: 

losetup: could not find any free loop device

usedminor 1

freeminor 2

mknod: `/dev/loop2': File exists

losetup: /dev/loop2: device is busy

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

mount: /dev/loop2 already mounted or /mnt/pnd/links busy

mount: according to mtab, /dev/loop2 is mounted on /mnt/pnd/dosbox

The PND File-system is not mounted ! - Union wont work anyway

The Union File-system is not mounted !

Links2 refused to start (along with some other programs, such as "CPU-Speed"). Do you know what may have caused it?

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//links.pnd -e ./start.sh -b links

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon: 

losetup: could not find any free loop device

usedminor 1

freeminor 2

mknod: `/dev/loop2': File exists

losetup: /dev/loop2: device is busy

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

mount: /dev/loop2 already mounted or /mnt/pnd/links busy

mount: according to mtab, /dev/loop2 is mounted on /mnt/pnd/dosbox

The PND File-system is not mounted ! - Union wont work anyway

The Union File-system is not mounted !
That a pnd_run.sh bug. I'm working to fix thoses. For now, reboot...

Back