Moving along

Two months, two years... what's the difference.

<edit> @ClockworkCoder Ehh...no, I am just NLP-ing myself (out loud for some reason) to not expect it anytime soon. It is mentally easier to process unexpected progress than having to deal with one delay after another. Just ignore it.</edit>

Last edited:
Heheh maybe I'll collect the beer at some conference then ;) I'm lurking around here too but rarely log in to actually post anything.

Thank you for all the fine work you have done to date!

For those beverages - we're going to need a method of stalking your conference attendance. Which conferences do you have plans to attend?

I'm now split on whether I want to get a Pyra before ED runs out of those clicky slider sticks (did he ever get a new supplier for those to continue sourcing them? I feel like I've asked this multiple times and forgotten the answer every time...), or if I should wait and hope for him to create a redesigned main board in the future that replaces the bulky and underused micro USB 3.0 port with USB C (which I remember ED saying was too big.................) for actual future proofing.

I am going to wait and get one once the new CPU upgrade comes.

I'm now split on whether I want to get a Pyra before ED runs out of those clicky slider sticks (did he ever get a new supplier for those to continue sourcing them? I feel like I've asked this multiple times and forgotten the answer every time...), or if I should wait and hope for him to create a redesigned main board in the future that replaces the bulky and underused micro USB 3.0 port with USB C (which I remember ED saying was too big.................) for actual future proofing.

Some day, if the Pyra is a success, meaning that it has sold in numbers adequate to pay for itself, it is theoretically possible for ED&Co. to build a replacement SoC board. If you're waiting for that, it might be a long wait for a boat that never sails.

The whole point about having a modular SoC board is to enable future upgrades. If ED sells a few thousand Pyras with the current SoC board (OMAP 5432 with 2 or 4GB RAM / 32GB eMMC), I could see the potential at that point for them to offer up a 'special edition' SoC board with an obscenely large eMMC capacity. (Leverage working technology while still offering product differentiation.)

IMHO the Pyra should have been introduced at (5432 with 2 GB RAM / 16GB eMMC) with planed upgrade availability 6-12 months after release to (5432 with 4GB RAM / 32GB eMMC). Then 6-12 months after that, (5432 with 4GB RAM / 128GB eMMC). So, as far as I'm concerned, by having already increased the specifications to 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC ED has already put forward an upgraded SoC board.

Changing the actual SoC on the board to (insert speculated SoC here) would require a completely redesigned SoC board. Essentially a year or more (as we've seen - likely more) of R&D work to get it going. If that were going on right now it would distract the time of the same people who need to be making a success from the existing product. So, in a best case scenario an upgrade to replace the 5432 with any other SoC is -minimum- 2 years out, and can only even start if the Pyra sells substantial numbers of units in the first of those 2 years.

The underlying factor still exists; there won't be any upgrades if the first product doesn't sell well enough to justify it. So, if your plan is to not order a current version the net effect is that you're damaging the likelihood of an updated version being made for you to buy.

Back