Movies Thread

Orion4874 said:
Has anyone seen The Last Bender? Is it as bad as I've heard. Surprising, usually M. Night's films are awsome. Me and my wife want to go see it but when I hear things like, "if you like the series, don't see this movie" it makes me second guess myself. :huh:

I saw it, and it wasn't THAT awful. True, it did have some plot holes, but if you saw the animated series, you'll know what happens.
Also, keep in mind that it doesn't stay faithful to the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight i watched Brazil, as it was recommended in the "Space Boots" topic. It truly is a masterpiece. The humor, the imagery, the searing satire, this movie is brilliant in many regards. Definitely a must see.

I loved Rambo4 and I cannot wait for The Expendables.

In other viewing I saw Moon which I really enjoyed.

I watched The Damned United on iPlayed and it was pretty good, it's about football but not really about football.

I have the Evil Dead trilogy on VHS, DVD, now I'm gonna go get it on Blu Ray. I never get tired of 'em, cult classics if ever there were any! Highly recommended to any horror fans even though Army of Darkness was more corny than scarey and part 2 was just a remake of part 1.

Toy Story 3:

Slow to get going, but good stuff. Villian is brilliant. Gets a bit dark in some places. There's gimmicky stuff for the adults in Dreamworks style, but still made me laugh. Ending was genuinely sad and moving. Structure seemed to be a rehash of Toy Story 2 however, and the first film is still the best. Perhaps not a classic, but highly enjoyable, especially if you're a fan of the previous films.

Oh, and the first feature cartoon is brilliant. Very retro, as Pixar are fond of.

Edit: It also works well in 3D. But you would expect that.

craigix said:
I loved Rambo4 and I cannot wait for The Expendables.
I love the bit were the bad guy grabs the little kid from it's mother and tosses it into the fire :eek: it was a real WTF moment.

I watched The Sorcerers Apprentice yesterday, it's better than the reviews say.

Best movie I've seen recently is Inglorious Basterds, although I am a bit of a Tarantino fanboy (I also loved Deathproof).

Funnily enough I finally watched Rambo (First Blood, whatever) 1 & 2 for the first time recently, waiting for 3 & 4 in the post. Also revisited the original Karate Kid films: still great to watch, hope the new one's not too bad :unsure:

Looking forward to Toy Story 3, need to borrow a child from somewhere...

I bought Ponyo today - the newest Ghibli film since Spirited Away I think. I can't wait to watch it :)

Fishbong said:
Tonight i watched Brazil, as it was recommended in the "Space Boots" topic. It truly is a masterpiece. The humor, the imagery, the searing satire, this movie is brilliant in many regards. Definitely a must see.
I liked it but I felt like it dragged near the end. It was so good for most of the movie but by the end I was like "this isn't over yet? Fucking hell." Still worth watching, though.

craigix said:

Watched this just last night finally. I also really enjoyed it, but I hadn't heard much about it (ignored the hype) and wasn't sure what to expect.

Right now I just finished watching Postal. I am left wondering how the fuck it is that I enjoyed a Uwe Boll movie. It's like he knew it was going to be shit so he just went with it, and it turned into something fun. He is still cinematic AIDS, though.

Not a movie, but I've just watched the entire first series of Misfits in one night (only 6 episodes). Wasn't too sure about it for the first 15 minutes of the first episode, but soon changed my mind. I was meaning to dig into my Bond boxset tonight, but Misfits took up the whole night :p
Cool series, a bunch of lolz. Greatz.

Just saw Inception. Incredible movie. No idea how anyone could find it difficult to understand.

Exophase said:
Just saw Inception. Incredible movie. No idea how anyone could find it difficult to understand.

I saw this too and thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in the cinema.

In other viewing I saw a little known movie called 'Flawless' with Michael Caine, was great.

Ravnos said:
Fishbong said:
I liked it but I felt like it dragged near the end. It was so good for most of the movie but by the end I was like "this isn't over yet? Fucking hell." Still worth watching, though.

craigix said:

Watched this just last night finally. I also really enjoyed it, but I hadn't heard much about it (ignored the hype) and wasn't sure what to expect.

As you can probably guess, I saw this the other night too.

While it was nice, and I liked it a lot, the film didn't really blow me away. I saw the twist coming a mile off.

Then it kind of felt like that film The 7th Day with Arnie.

Like an idiot, I bothered to read the IMDB comments. Of the ones that weren't full marks (seriously? why?) the criticisms were silly. Let me address them:

Gerty could have run the base alone: Well maybe in the future people don't trust an AI to do everything alone? It's a large leap in trust. I would imagine there is future legislation to make sure a human operator is always there to pull the kill switch.

Gerty could have had a proper face: Well the uncanny valley suggests that people are creeped out the more realistic you make the appearence of a robot. A more complex face would make for some very creepy expressions that wouldn't work properly. I don't think Gerty, or any robot/computer could have human level emotions, so why try and let them express them? Emoticons are perfectly plausable and a good solution.

The moon base wouldn't be run alone: Well Gerty probably ran most of it. Sam seems more like the caretaker, fixing stuff that is broken. Probably another peice of red tape on future Earth. For all we know, there are laws to prevent computers from taking over any job, to keep humans in employment (it happens now in western factories that could clearly be fully robotisised). The fact that Sam is a clone is likely a loophole in said law.

Why a clone instead of real people?: Maybe there are health and safety type laws that have scaled back the amount of years human beings can work in space? It does have a huge effect on human health, after all. We know that the company had real people up there, and cloned the original Sam. Maybe Sam was uniquely skilled? Maybe he had a particular psychological profile that was required by some legislation? Maybe humans can no longer work in space, but clones (as a loophole) are the only option? In this day and age, robots would be controlled remotely. But the film is set in an unknown point in time - you have NO IDEA what the circumstances on Earth are... maybe remote links are no longer secure? Maybe there is a cyber based war being conducted across the world (it happens now. Even the LHC has been hacked).

Why so many clones?: Well maybe each manned trip to the moon has a cost of some type. Maybe there are taxes or extensive paperwork? Maybe you need some kind of government permission? At the end you see the humans have huge ships. So big they could easily deliver all the clones at once. So why not? If there is a penalty to multiple trips, why not bring a huge batch in one go? Maybe clones were due to be banned or restrictions to be put on their deployment, so the company used that opportunity to send as many as possible before that time passed?

But they have advanced cloning and thought implanting technology?!: Well we have no idea when the film is set (do we?) or what the situation is on earth. People will still need energy right?

Ultimately we know almost nothing about life on Earth. For all we know the population is in decline and risking real people is too high. You just don't know. This is the best aspect of the film IMO. You see a video feed of an office and a few houses, a few other people... a sound clip of a talk show... nothing else. You need to use your imagination people! Do people not have an imagination anymore?

:D

Exophase said:

I like how the end leaves itself open to interpretation; You don't see the totem stop spinning, but it does wobble, so it could go either way.

It's a great film, certainly one I'll be buying on a physical media.

Spoilers, but since you already delved into it..

Personally, I thought the ending was just a token application of being open ended, or maybe it was there to make people think more about it. The movie was definitely consistently more in support of one outcome than the other.

Watched 3 movies yesterday.

Ex Drummer - Watched Shonen Merikensack the week before and this was a stark counterpoint. Both are about punk rock at a basic level, but while SM was a comedy, there were almost no laughs in Ex Drummer. Very dark and fucked up in the way that life is fucked up. Highly recommended.

Repo Men - Emilio Estevez > Jude Law. Aside from unfavourable comparisons to Repo Man or Repo! The Genetic Opera, this wasn't as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Kind of a schlocky, heavy handed allegory for private health care that degenerates to a boring by-the-numbers action flick that's saved somewhat by the ending. Not terrible but I wouldn't watch it again.

Also watched Caddyshack again to lighten the mood after those two. Classic.

Exophase said:

Very interesting movie indeed.
As always with these kind of movies, if you keep an open mind and don't accept everything/anything about the story as given, then there is room for interpretation. It just depends on how far you want to stretch things :) .

WARNING SPOILERS!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/faq

I just saw Brainstorm, which is an 80's scifi flick with michael walken. Was pretty good tbh, watch it if you like brain interfaces and lab drama.

I just started Megaforce, which had such an excellent beginning that here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH1yMGxh5E

klikklak said:
I just started Megaforce, which had such an excellent beginning that here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH1yMGxh5E

That was like a compilation of every seventies cliché in one clip :D

I need to see that film! Is it actually any good?

Back