Movies Thread

We're having a B-Movie party this weekend, and on the list of movies to watch are:

From Beyond
Plan 9 from outter space
Attack of the 50 ft woman
Nightbreed (Not really B movie but darned fun anyway)

:D

Vorporeal posted on May 15 2009 at 10:45 AM) [quote="WarmFluffyUK posted on May 15 2009 at 05:36 AM said:
We're having a B-Movie party this weekend, and on the list of movies to watch are:
From Beyond
Plan 9 from outter space
Nightbreed (Not really B movie but darned fun anyway"]

:D[/quote]You're giving Plan 9 from Outer Space too much credit by calling it a B movie. It's more like an F movie. It fails QUITE hard.

Quite :)

But it's soo much fun, especially with the story behind the scenes, for those who don't know the story here are some interesting facts:

Boris Karloff played a character called The Old Man (probably because they couldn't think of a name for him), and the character was killed in the film, he then returned as a zombie and was then referred to as "the old DEAD man".

Boris actually died in real life half way through filming and the actor that replaced him was not only taller, but looked nothing at all like him. So the replacement used a cloak to cover his face, plus they filmed the replacement during the daytime. You would have scenes that cut from night to day, with the "old DEAD man" changing in height and cloak on face and off face. Simply hilarious!

The UFO's were car hub caps on strings.

All the indoor scenes were shot in one room by rearranging the furniture and curtains to make it look like different rooms.

The control room of the UFO was a wooden desk with some old radios on it.

The main premis of the plot was: Aliens had tried 8 times before to inform the Earth's population that there really was life beyond our planet, and we denied their existence. This made them furious so they started their 9th plan. They would show us undeniable proof of extra terrestrial life by... wait for it... reanimating our dead. Classic!

Last edited by a moderator:
From beyond was the Lucio Fulci movie? .. or was it the beyond? .. it's a crime to categorize it under B as it's a splendid movie, one of my all time favourite horror flicks. I esp. like the ending, which leaves no room for hope. Wonderful stuff.

klikklak posted on May 15 2009 at 11:12 AM said:
From beyond was the Lucio Fulci movie? .. or was it the beyond? .. it's a crime to categorize it under B as it's a splendid movie, one of my all time favourite horror flicks. I esp. like the ending, which leaves no room for hope. Wonderful stuff.
The Movie I'm referring too is called "From Beyond" by H.P.Lovecraft, it's about a scientist who created a machine he called The Resonator that allowed you to see creatures that are all around us. Typical 80's style of Horror movie :)

I don't think I have seen "Beyond" I must look into it.

Just saw Serenity and it was BRILLIANT! I had my doubts when I started watching the series (had a false start etc), and never got around to the movie until now, but damn, the wait was worth it.

WarmFluffyUK posted on May 15 2009 at 11:09 AM) [quote="Vorporeal posted on May 15 2009 at 10:45 AM) [quote="WarmFluffyUK posted on May 15 2009 at 05:36 AM said:
From Beyond
Plan 9 from outter space
Nightbreed (Not really B movie but darned fun anyway"]

:D[/quote]You're giving Plan 9 from Outer Space too much credit by calling it a B movie. It's more like an F movie. It fails QUITE hard.

Quite :)

But it's soo much fun, especially with the story behind the scenes, for those who don't know the story here are some interesting facts:

Boris Karloff played a character called The Old Man (probably because they couldn't think of a name for him"], and the character was killed in the film, he then returned as a zombie and was then referred to as "the old DEAD man".

Boris actually died in real life half way through filming and the actor that replaced him was not only taller, but looked nothing at all like him. So the replacement used a cloak to cover his face, plus they filmed the replacement during the daytime. You would have scenes that cut from night to day, with the "old DEAD man" changing in height and cloak on face and off face. Simply hilarious!

The UFO's were car hub caps on strings.

All the indoor scenes were shot in one room by rearranging the furniture and curtains to make it look like different rooms.

The control room of the UFO was a wooden desk with some old radios on it.

The main premis of the plot was: Aliens had tried 8 times before to inform the Earth's population that there really was life beyond our planet, and we denied their existence. This made them furious so they started their 9th plan. They would show us undeniable proof of extra terrestrial life by... wait for it... reanimating our dead. Classic![/quote]I'm pretty sure he died way before Eddie even started that film. He just had that footage lying around.

You should watch Ed Wood. My avatar etc.

Does anyone else regularly watch Withnail and I?

I still haven't seen Withnail and I :( My flatmate has it stashed away somewhere, he keeps promising to find it.

In other news, anyone wanting the ultimate b-movie exerience must watch the new MEGASHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS. It deserves capital letters.

I watched Happy together yesterday, such a wonderful movie! For anyone who isn't put off by gay romance movie from hong kong (yes, all three of you here), go out and see this movie. I last saw it about a decade ago and it's still brilliant. Got to watch Chungking express soon, I loved that when I saw it for the first time. Both are Wong-Kar Wai's movies, and yes, chungking express is straight, if that matters.

I'm bored, so I might as well post my quick thoughts on the movies of the last trash-movie-nights:

Night of the Lepus - funny for a while, but cute little bunnies running through model sets in slow motion get boring soon
Octaman - genius, so horrible you'll laugh nonstop; I still can't believe Rick Baker made the monster costume, but I can believe the female lead committed suicide after this one
Commando - never get's old, true badass 80s macho-action; Schwarzenegger's best!
1968 Tunnel Rats - quite good, even Boll-haters could give it a try; not really a bad movie
American Ninja series - 1,2,3 great, 4 sucks, have to see 5
Death Wish 3 - another good one from Cannon, Bronson is my hero; the whole series is good, except for 5
Avenging Force - if Sam Firstenberg, Micheal Dudikoff & Steve James team up, nothing can go wrong
Giant Spider Invasion - not as good as I remembered, quite boring at times
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead - everybody loves Troma!!!
Carnosaur 2 - very cheesy & funny; 1 & 3 are on the list
Soldier Boyz - Dudikoff does it again; quite a few good laughs
Far Cry - if it was Cannon Films instead of Boll KG, Firstenberg instead of Boll and Dudikoff instead of Schweiger, this could have been a movie from the early 90s; fun!

And I wish we would have organized another trash-night instead of wasting time and money to see Terminator 4 in cinema. OMG did it suck!!!

The new Terminator movie is less than impressive IMHO. In fact I'd say it was pretty dull for the most part, although there was a good "Oooh look!" bit near the end that raised a smile. Not the epic battle between man and machine I was hoping for.

I've seen about 20 or so films since I last posted in this thread, but just watched The Blues Brothers AGAIN and still :wub: it :p

Before that I watched Dante 01. It's french, but it's an awesome film. After reading the reviews about it I was expecting a crappy ending, but the whole film was excellent. The ending of it reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Watched Hackers for the first time in years. I thought it was pretty awesome. Infact, could be in the list of my favs, although not quite at the top...

Back