Mould Creation Time

borgqueenx said:
alright, thanks for the reply :) lets hope the factory will tell you its finished since the facts that they dont make pics are frightening me a bit.

Frightening? Ever seen a company make pictures of what they produce for you?
I haven't.
Try to order a TV and tell Sony to send pictures of the building process :D

Last edited:
Well sony is kind of the opposite. They make the telescreens TVs take pictures of you. with rootkits.

Kyosys said:
Well sony is kind of the opposite. They make the telescreens TVs take pictures of you. with rootkits.

In Soviet Russia...[size="1.5"] ah what the heck, that joke is overdone anyways and you all saw it coming...[/size]

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:
alright, thanks for the reply :) lets hope the factory will tell you its finished since the facts that they dont make pics are frightening me a bit.

I haven't.

Not quite. Sony is end-to end producing a consumer product, and so doesn't have to show anything externally. The mould company is creating a custom product to your specifications. It's more like asking a friend to help build you a computer, but they won't tell you what still has to arrive, or taking any pictures of the parts to show you what's done.

That's hardly the same. The mould company is not their friend, it's their businesspartner, and they ordered something which they are producing according to OPs specifications. Taking pictures of it is not part of their contract and they therefore have every right to refuse taking them.

EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:

I haven't.
Thanks for trying to take away the fear. Although this is a factory and not a co
pany you ask pics of. You are the company so the factory should obey.

But i dont think the factory is a scam so lets wait patiently...for
the 100th time :)

borgqueenx said:
EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:

I haven't.
Thanks for trying to take away the fear. Although this is a factory and not a co
pany you ask pics of. You are the company so the factory should obey.

But i dont think the factory is a scam so lets wait patiently...for
the 100th time :)

IIRC, the factory is TI's factory. The factory only has to "obey" if the company owns them, which OpenPandora Ltd. does not.

-God Ginrai

By the way, who actualy OWNS the injection moulds for the Pandora at the End? Pandora Team or the Factory? If something goes completely wrong and the team has to switch to another company, it would be very important for the Pandora Team to keep the existing molds and use them within the new Factory...just in case... ^_^

fusion_power said:
By the way, who actualy OWNS the injection moulds for the Pandora at the End? Pandora Team or the Factory? If something goes completely wrong and the team has to switch to another company, it would be very important for the Pandora Team to keep the existing molds and use them within the new Factory...just in case... ^_^

Good Point.

-God Ginrai

Well I assume they paid for the moulds and not just the work done to them. Usually after the work is done, they could request the moulds and give them to another firm to produce the cases. Does it really matter? They are making 10,000 of them. Even if the factory goes tits up and doesn't give them the mould, OP still has the CAD file, right?

It would just be another two months to get another set of cases done.

well, they do have the CAD file--or the like, but that doesn't mean they get the adjusted design for the mould itself.

God Ginrai said:
IIRC, the factory is TI's factory. The factory only has to "obey" if the company owns them, which OpenPandora Ltd. does not.

-God Ginrai

Last I checked, TI was doing the boards, but the mould making company is in China I believe. Your point still stands in the end.

Kyosys said:
That's hardly the same. The mould company is not their friend, it's their businesspartner, and they ordered something which they are producing according to OPs specifications. Taking pictures of it is not part of their contract and they therefore have every right to refuse taking them.

Fair, my analogy wasn't great. They're not like a friend, but it is different. There has to be openness along the way, and information about progress - if Sony decides not to make a product after announcing it, that's fine; but if these guys decide to bail on making the moulds, they have to answer to OP.

I was under the impression that they'd made the offer of photos at some point, and at the very least they need to give some status updates to OP, even if those don't get back to us.

EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:

I haven't.

im afraid that it not the same, we are talking about third party co, instead to a End to End relation (like sony).

ive been working for the plastics co as a translator for a while and they USUALLY must send pictures before a batch can be accepted, unless theres a representant of the CO that goes to the actual Factory and checks the Product.

when theres no Representant of the Co near the actual factory usually they sign a QC certificate that can be used in the case of, since you have to pay all before it gets shipped (the ugly here is that shipping back and forth is not included usually).

and im also very interested on the who owns the mould thing.

was it really bought or just designed over concession? (im not sure i wrote that right)

and no one answered my Q, did the TV out cables required any other Case? or they are already 100% rdy?

DroneB Dev said:
ive been working for the plastics co as a translator for a while and they USUALLY must send pictures before a batch can be accepted, unless theres a representant of the CO that goes to the actual Factory and checks the Product.

But did they send pictures of the mould creation? Isn't that what we're talking about now?

Hopefully their QA procedures are in place, anyway.

and im also very interested on the who owns the mould thing.

I wouldn't expect that to be answered, internal details like that are not really our business - despite having paid lengthy preorders, we are customers, not shareholders.

craigix said:
The moulds would be ours I assume.

I wouldn't automatically assume that. It should be in your contract with the factory, but they could claim ownership of it in the future if troubles arose.

craigix said:
The moulds would be ours I assume.

Wow.
I hope for one of two things.
Either Craigx is tweaking us for effect.
Or Craigx has nothing to do with the details of the mould making agreement.

If you "assume" that you own moulds from a plastic fabricator, when your contract does not specifically state that you own the moulds, then you are making a big big mistake.

If it ain't in the contract, you don't own them. Period.
No manufacturer would just give the product of his art away like that.

My experience with fabricators is that if the mould maker owns the moulds, then your unit price for final plastic product will be much lower.
Reason being, they control future production, so when you need more product, you will come back to them.

This is often an advantageous arrangement for both the producer and the customer (Open Pandora, in this case).
Open Pandora can negotiate a per unit price which does not have to cover the entire cost of plastic production immediately in the first batch.
The mould maker can be safe in knowing they will be producing more plastic product in the future, so they can charge accordingly.

But, if Craigx is in charge of the mould and case making project, and he isn't pulling our legs with his comment, I am concerned.

it's a total irrelevance really as it's all based on trust with the factory (as with most things), and we plan to use them until the moulds crack. We have (not openpandora) used this company before so we have past experience with them.

Did you have past experience with the company/factory that did the first batch of nubs that went tits up? (Just wondering)

Back