Mould Creation Time

craigix said:
They have just said they are going to try to get them done before the holiday. I suspect what we will see is finished cases but I'm not sure if they are going to do the full run as we probably won't have time to evaluate them, so I'm thinking if we time this right we can evaluate a small run in those 8 days, then when they come back to work they will have a detailed review waiting for them of any slight issues (if indeed there are any).

It is probably best that we spend 8 days with cases just putting them though some extreme testing. Probably on those 105 boards.

Sounds like a plan to me :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If cases become the limiting factor in the end, is shipping boards then cases later still being thought about? Assembling the LCD cable into the case may be difficult, but it's still something I would opt-in to.

fischju2000 said:
If cases become the limiting factor in the end, is shipping boards then cases later still being thought about? Assembling the LCD cable into the case may be difficult, but it's still something I would opt-in to.

I think they decided this was too complicated to risk. They'd have to do extra bookkeeping, etc....

The same company made the TV cables are they are great, so we have faith that they will do a good job, also this is a pretty professional company too - almost up to Taiwan standards.

There are much much worse companies in China for sure.

At the end of all this we will make pretty decent consultants on these things! :)

craigix said:
The same company made the TV cables are they are great, so we have faith that they will do a good job, also this is a pretty professional company too - almost up to Taiwan standards.

At the end of all this we will make pretty decent consultants on these things! :)

hum, by the way ... what's (or not) happening to that "pandora in a box" idea (don't recall the name it was given _ set top pandora stuff)?

I can confirm the Chinese where/are holiday maniacs, a few years ago (90s) it was incredibly annoying doing business in China, every time we wanted to get in touch or get a schedule there where "holidays", and they just don`t seem to "get" the idea of schedules or planned production, IIRC they even have a pre holiday week holiday then there`s festivals, feasts, ghost holidays, party holidays, communal days etc, it`s crazy, they are not so bad now days, but at one time it was like every other week was a holiday of some sort...or the prelude to one, or the wind-up after one, just cos we in the west work almost all the time with the odd day off, doesn`t mean they have to, there are enough people in China to do everybody in the West`s work twice over and at a fraction of the cost, they don`t need to work all the time cos they are massively "overstaffed" so to speak, their annual average is very high re cost/productivity.

@Craigix, I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread ,and IMO the poster was right, do keep a close eye on quality and have conditions for same in your contract, initial batches are usually very good and will be made by higher level workers/lower management, later ones will be done by lower grade workers with minimal supervision and may suffer accordingly, the Chinese don`t always seem to be very good at quality control over time, I hear some larger firms had handed their QC over to locally trained staff after an adoption period (cost cutting measure), and brought their own people home, and then had to send their QC people back a few months later due to high reject levels of one sort or another.

Why worry about it? Why pay the extra expense? Just be happy you have the device. While I understand some people like to keep boxes for things they buy for collection or OCD reasons. I for one don't even look at the pretty boxes, much less keep them.

I agree, I normally bin the box after a day or so for any gadgets I buy, if I kept all he boxes that come into my house over the year I wouldn`t be able to get in through the door (yeah! I`m a sucker for gadgets/toys/etc)

to bad so few people are interested. but with a good product, a good case must be there by my opinion!
Its simple to make one, just use some photoshop...i just want a official case that i can put on the top of my other cases.

craigix said:

yep i agree with that, thats because there are lots of Proxys companies, that outsource the inner or smaller stuff, so i believe and hope the case making factory will end up with good results.
(Happy theres pp that understand that Taiwan Q is better, Hate those who thinks TW stuff is Bad Quality)

one thing always worse than delivery times, is the Spare parts policy, they dont have one, so if you buy a machine/a car, you might not be able to buy replacements in about 2-3 years.

but, i dont understand the bottleneck bout the boards VS the Cases.

it might be faster to produce the Cases, but they have to be shipped. instead, the Boards are just where they are going to be assembled. so
i dont see the bottleneck

hobbyman II said:
@craigix, I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread ,and IMO the poster was right, do keep a close eye on quality and have conditions for same in your contract, initial batches are usually very good and will be made by higher level workers/lower management, later ones will be done by lower grade workers with minimal supervision and may suffer accordingly, the Chinese don`t always seem to be very good at quality control over time, I hear some larger firms had handed their QC over to locally trained staff after an adoption period (cost cutting measure), and brought their own people home, and then had to send their QC people back a few months later due to high reject levels of one sort or another.

That's the reason we only used China for the cases, it's something I feel they can't get wrong once the moulds are good. We did look at making these in the UK/USA but the price was insane. Like close to a million dollars.

Almost a million? Sheesh! Yeah, do it in China... how much would our Pandoras have costed if it was done in US/UK? $500+? :eek:

matzesu said:
my i can quest: what hase the chinese mould cost? and the other stuff to make our pandora?

It would be a bad idea for them to give you manufacturing costs for everything. Very bad. I could get into things like hidden costs, the costs of doing business, and the proper balance in sales price to get the optimum revenue. On the other hand, these things should be clear to anyone.

craigix said:
It's costing something approaching $100k in China.

thats because china sells tons of moulds a year, plus mould making is actually more modern in china an for last china has the largest ammount of iron and therefore steel.

in china iron costs even less than water in someplaces. (once i bought a set of 5 scisors (of steel) and costed me less than 1.5USD

here at colombia mould costs are about x5 to x10 the price in china, everyone makes moulds there and imporst em, and even buy a plastic machine, and receive a simple mould desing for free.

(those who didnt know yep TW machines co. also buy moulds in china and sell em back with their machines

Back