Mould Creation Time

craigix said:
We will reveal the details of who we used to do what once everything is finished.
why?

only reason I could think of would be copyright reasons? Once it's final you can submit for a patent on final design specs?

I'm throwing counterfiet idea out the window because you said you would eventually.

I'm (and others I'm sure are) just curious on why the wait?

Last edited by a moderator:
Monk said:
[ ... ] The quotes barely touch the content of the links - there's a lot more at those links and others. Fakery is big business.

I appreciate the effort you put into that post, but all of that wasn't necessary. You see, people who Pandora is targeted at are not comparable to an Average Joe who wants a Rolex because apparently that enhances your social status. When the OP team starts trying to conquer a larger market share by campaigning for the less educated, then all of that may become relevant, and even then quality is still quality. A fake Rolex probably functions well enough, and first of all LOOKS real enough, which is the priority.

Wait wait wait. Pandora doesn't enhance social status? I think we are looking at two different things here. I just show pictures of the Pandora to women and they're all, "Take me now!"..."Oh! Fortran!"

Having a Pandora is the in thing to do.

jb0yx said:
craigix said:
We will reveal the details of who we used to do what once everything is finished.
why?

only reason I could think of would be copyright reasons? Once it's final you can submit for a patent on final design specs?
because they want people to judge the quality of the final product, not complain about how long it took.

With the nubs company it's a different situation since that company filed for bankruptcy and OpenPandora is a creditor. Bankruptcies are generally a matter of public record, so I assume this will be disclosed at some point.

fiori_musicali said:
Monk said:
[ ... ] The quotes barely touch the content of the links - there's a lot more at those links and others. Fakery is big business.

I appreciate the effort you put into that post, but all of that wasn't necessary. You see, people who Pandora is targeted at are not comparable to an Average Joe who wants a Rolex because apparently that enhances your social status. When the OP team starts trying to conquer a larger market share by campaigning for the less educated, then all of that may become relevant, and even then quality is still quality. A fake Rolex probably functions well enough, and first of all LOOKS real enough, which is the priority.
Only some broke dick asshole without a rolex could possibly ever come to that conclusion.

pshunter said:
Monk said:
The quotes barely touch the content of the links - there's a lot more at those links and others. Fakery is big business.

If only original products were sold for what they're worth, and not the maximum price sellers think people would like to pay for it, fakery would be less an issue.

Ain't that the truth?
sad.gif

fiori_musicali said:

Really? Have you been reading the same forum as me? The one where people complain that the Pandora technology isn't bleeding-edge any more, and that it doesn't beat an iPhone or an Archos or a such-and-such and so they are losing interest? The one where people are planning to make and upload, to youtube, UNPACKING VIDEOS! (or unboxing videos, or whatever it is).

The reason a rolex enhances your social status is because people in your target crowd think they are desireable. A Pandora won't appeal to them (or I dare say Gucci bag owners clubs) but they certainly are desireable elsewhere - it's just a different group of people, is all.

Your back-tracking is unconvincing. Oh - and a fake Pandora in an actual Pandora case, as made by the Pandora case manufacturers from the same mould, would actually look real enough, which is the priority at least from the hypothetical sellers point of view.

fiori_musicali said:
Sphinxter said:
Only some broke dick asshole without a rolex could possibly ever come to that conclusion.

I don't use a watch.

Confirmed: fiori_musicali is without a rolex.

Monk said:
Really? Have you been reading the same forum as me? The one where people complain that the Pandora technology isn't bleeding-edge any more, and that it doesn't beat an iPhone or an Archos or a such-and-such and so they are losing interest? The one where people are planning to make and upload, to youtube, UNPACKING VIDEOS! (or unboxing videos, or whatever it is).

The reason a rolex enhances your social status is because people in your target crowd think they are desireable. A Pandora won't appeal to them (or I dare say Gucci bag owners clubs) but they certainly are desireable elsewhere - it's just a different group of people, is all.

Your back-tracking is unconvincing. Oh - and a fake Pandora in an actual Pandora case, as made by the Pandora case manufacturers from the same mould, would actually look real enough, which is the priority at least from the hypothetical sellers point of view.

I don't know what you mean by back-tracking, nor do I know how well a fake Rolex functions or what its durability might be, but I don't think the comparison is valid because a lot of the value of Rolex stems from the same non-conventional needs as having a Porsche in your garage or any other luxury item whose value depends a lot on the image and reputation rather than just form and function. Pandora in its current state doesn't have this aura of excellence that extends beyond all practicality, and is priced depending more on the actual manufacturing costs than an optimization of "How much can we rip off these people now that we have a loyal target group with too much cash?".

Pirated copies (or just clones) may also spread the awareness of the original, which can reach individuals that have bought a clone but are disappointed with its cheap nubs and construction, but can afford the real thing. If someone can't afford a real Pandora, buying the clone isn't away from the OP team, just from the ignorant/stupid/poor consumer and the environment.

I wear a (fake) Rado, but I can't tell the time from it to save my life. I'm such a whore. But at least I'm one who would rather spend £1000 on a laptop than a luxury watch which I can't tell the time from.

What were we talking about again?!

It it just me who thinks of my bathroom every time I see this thread title? Yeah, it's bad.

fiori_musicali said:
I don't know what you mean by back-tracking

This:

fiori_musicali said:
The modern consumer is so quality- and brand-conscious that they will go for the real thing rather than a cheap clone.

Monk said:
This would be why all those people making fake rolex's and fake Gucci handbags, fake perfumes, fake SD cards (that are really only a fraction of their stated capacity), fake Tamiflu supplies and so on and so forth went out of business this year, I assume?

Oh wait - they didn't.

{snip at LEAST 2 minutes of google research}

fiori_musicali said:
I appreciate the effort you put into that post, but all of that wasn't necessary. You see, people who Pandora is targeted at are not comparable to an Average Joe who wants a Rolex because apparently that enhances your social status.

Which amounts to "Well not THOSE people, I didn't mean THOSE modern consumers. I meant these OTHER modern consumers. Moderns consumers who wouldn't touch a cheap imiation for any reason at all are the ones I meant - THEY wouldn't buy a cheap fake!".

Which narrows the focus down to a pretty empty, meaningless statement. You think people who bought fake Tamiflu which was actually bad for them (as opposed to having no beneficial effect) did so in order to look important to their friends? You seem to be suffering a massive "WHOOSH" moment, and claiming that fakery is on the way out due to lack of interest by savvy modern consumers one moment then, on the back foot, limiting the people you were talking about to... a subset of this forum, really. So, not relevant then.

{snip irrelevant stuff}

fiori_musicali said:
but I don't think the comparison is valid

IMHO because you haven't taken the time to understand what cheap knock-offs (Chinese or otherwise) are about - you've taken one quick sideways glance at the concept and gone "Oh, that's not us". You missed.

fiori_musicali said:
because a lot of the value of Rolex stems from the same non-conventional needs as having a Porsche in your garage or any other luxury item whose value depends a lot on the image and reputation rather than just form and function.

Any time you want to give me a Porsche (or at least sertain ones, I'd have to do some research to get the details as I'm not a car fanatic) please feel free. For me it won't be about how shiny it looks to other people :D

fiori_musicali said:
Pandora in its current state doesn't have this aura of excellence that extends beyond all practicality, and is priced depending more on the actual manufacturing costs than an optimization of "How much can we rip off these people now that we have a loyal target group with too much cash?".

WHOOSH.

fiori_musicali said:
Pirated copies (or just clones)

Are as unlikely as all heck, because OpenPandora don't seem to have the "operating margin" (obscene profits) of companies like SONY et al. So a cheap knock-off is likely to BE a CHEAP knock-off. One using the same case might LOOK like a Pandora but... ohh, I've typed all that before. It won't spread BENEFICIAL word of the original, but might spread "Pandoras are crap" type comments.

fiori_musicali said:
If someone can't afford a real Pandora, buying the clone isn't away from the OP team, just from the ignorant/stupid/poor consumer and the environment.

If someone can't afford the real thing, they can't afford a clone either. But they might be able to afford a cheap Chinese knock-off in the same case with the same name on it containing a cheap chinese PS1 emulator, and then bitch about it all over the net as the piece of crap it is - using the name it was sold to him as. A Pandora.

I don't even know what a Rado IS, but I rarely spend more than about £20 on a watch. I have specific requirements from a watch (countdown timer is important to me, for example). Expensive to look impressive doesn't do much for me, personally, so cheap to look expensive doesn't catch me out often. It does a lot of people. A LOT. See the links, or google some of your own, if you're REALLY so out of touch as to think that

fiori_musicali said:
The modern consumer is so quality- and brand-conscious that they will go for the real thing rather than a cheap clone.

has any real bearing on reality apart from in very niche (and frankly "well-off") sections of society.

borgqueenx said:
lolz looks like there is nothing to discuss right now, so people start talking about bathrooms, whores and rolexes.

:-||

See, now you've got me trying to work out what a cheap fake whore would even BE...

WoD said:
I wear a (fake) Rado, but I can't tell the time from it to save my life. I'm such a whore. But at least I'm one who would rather spend £1000 on a laptop than a luxury watch which I can't tell the time from.

What were we talking about again?!

It it just me who thinks of my bathroom every time I see this thread title? Yeah, it's bad.
Rado does not produce fake rolexes, maybe of a similar design as all swiss watches are, (or do you have a fake rado?), rather it's a fine old swiss watch house of excellent pedigree and craftsmanship.

Monk said:
borgqueenx said:
lolz looks like there is nothing to discuss right now, so people start talking about bathrooms, whores and rolexes.

:-||

See, now you've got me trying to work out what a cheap fake whore would even BE...
You wouldn't believe the first result I got.
dirtyglare.jpg
Are you happy now Vorporeal?
Edit: oh now I get it. NSFW stands for Not Safe For Work. Took me long enough.

Dude, please put that in a "Spoiler" block and mark it NSFW. For real? Think before you post online.

Back