More Pandoras soon at the shop!

I will use it mainly for development and server administration. So basicly i need an IDE for C, Java and Python (but i could live with a text-editor + compiler), OpenSSH, OpenSSL, gnupg and sometimes a vnc client (although x-forward would also do the job). Gaming has lowest priority right now, but i would love playing all my old favourites otg when i find the time :-D

I think i just have to see what i find usefull in the pnd repos, what i can get from ipkg and what i have to compile for myself. Booting from SD  still seems like the best option, even if it is just to reduce writecycles on the nand.

hmm very very tempting will have to atlest get some lcd cables will any of them be making it to link's shop or no

For Java, I've used Tide on the Pandora. I found it better than Geany. There's no PND, but you can just download the jar and run it.

I will use it mainly for development and server administration. So basicly i need an IDE for C, Java and Python (but i could live with a text-editor + compiler), OpenSSH, OpenSSL, gnupg and sometimes a vnc client (although x-forward would also do the job). Gaming has lowest priority right now, but i would love playing all my old favourites otg when i find the time :-D

I think i just have to see what i find usefull in the pnd repos, what i can get from ipkg and what i have to compile for myself. Booting from SD  still seems like the best option, even if it is just to reduce writecycles on the nand.
Given your intended use and the fact that you are considering booting from SD, I would suggest you consider installing something other than SZ on the SD card.  I would recommend Debian (search for Pandian on the forum for one version for the Pandora) but Slackware is another possibility (also in the forum).  The advantage of Debian over SZ is that most everything you will ever need (bar games) is already there as a package (apt-get install xxx).

I've been using the Pandora almost exclusively with Debian since I got mine and use it mostly for text editing related activities (code, prose, emails) with music thrown in.

I've been thinking about it, and since the Pyra is probably not coming out until early/mid 2016 at this rate, I'm going to buy the Pandora Rebirth.  Do you all think that is a good idea?

Also, does this include the Mega Pack stuff? 

-Glyph Reader

Whatever you decide, don't take too long. The rebirth megapack seems to be out of stock, there are still 7 items of just the rebirth pandora in stock. as of writing this.

Well, I went ahead with ordering it, but there were a few complications.  :wacko:

With any luck, it went though. 

-Glyph Reader

EDIT: To clarify, I went to order it minutes after my post.  I had figured out that the Mega Pack was still available. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No more 1 GhZ units? Weren't them supposed to be 40? Will they get back in stock? If yes when? 

If I order one can I get one with black case instead of a platinum one?

Well, it looks like the order for the Pandora Rebirth MegaPack went though!  :D

From what I heard, the Rebirth model sometimes could be clocked to 1 GHz?  Either way, I will definately enjoy my first Pandora once it comes through.  

To get prepared, I want to look though some documentation on how to properly care for/use the Pandora --- I imagine the Wiki and the Forums should have all of that. 

-Glyph Reader

I've been thinking about it, and since the Pyra is probably not coming out until early/mid 2016 at this rate, I'm going to buy the Pandora Rebirth.  Do you all think that is a good idea?

Also, does this include the Mega Pack stuff? 

-Glyph Reader
Back when the metal cases were a possibility I also added a 1GHz upgrade to the order.  When I got the refund I decided to just hold off since my CC  (Classic) Pandora works just fine for most of what I do with it.  There may be some emus and games that would benefit from the upgrade, however I don't have time or need for those, and the money I have from my refund will help with a Pyra preorder (I am so sick of being broke...).

My point is that even the Pandora with the lowest specs is quite usable and helpful to me, so a Rebirth is as good a choice as any, and you get to have and use it until the Pyra is released.  I think it is a good idea, but I still love and use my Pandora.

We update stock while we're building them.

No worries, there will be more of all of them, we're just overwhelmed :)
Are the orders coming in fast?  I am just trying to gauge the market for the Pyra.

From what I heard, the Rebirth model sometimes could be clocked to 1 GHz?  Either way, I will definately enjoy my first Pandora once it comes through.
I regularly clock mine at 800 MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way to calibrate the nubs? My left one only reaches about 15 as value in Button Test if you push it to the left. Makes handling the mouse really hard, as it is only moving left very slow. Or is this hardware failure? I would say no, as the nub itself moves in a perfect circle.

Is there any way to calibrate the nubs? My left one only reaches about 15 as value in Button Test if you push it to the left. Makes handling the mouse really hard, as it is only moving left very slow. Or is this hardware failure? I would say no, as the nub itself moves in a perfect circle.
Nubs self calibrate as they are used. You can do the "nub dance" to help them calibrate. ( up, down, left, right, circles ) Some nubs start failing to calibrate eventually and theres nothing to do but replace them.

dam these are going too fast how many more 1ghz mega packs will be made ed

Back