More Pandora 2 crap (MicroSD Split)

... With 4 microSD slots ....
Ahh come one why is nobody telling me that he is just trolling :angry:

Serious, I have an even better Idea, why not scrap that lousy keyboard - who needs that anyway, industry is leeding with touchscreens today ? So we could have at least 16 MicroSD Slot - think of all the capacity !.

Seriously now, could you please try to think your arguments through before posting them ? If you had done that you may had the idea that there is only a finity number of peripheral - "connections" a SoC usually offers.

HI! This is from page one

Given Ed's wonderful ability to post good sense and constructive news, I think it might help if there were an official post detailing the outline plans for the P2, addressing key points like:

• Will it cost $750
  • Whats this magical hardware deal that requires android as a stock install?
  • Will it run real Linux out of the box
  • Are we restricted to microSD card slots?
  • How is the 8GB of ram going to be achieved?

Its early days yet, but the core customer base is being put off buying a product that hasn't really reached the drawing board - which is a crazy state of affairs :(
If microSD slots are used what is the max amount of slots we can have? I'd like to see 3 or even 4 slots. That way I could have 1 or 2 dedicated to music and videos the rest for games, os etc. I have A LOT of media and documents.

You know, if the P2 purposely used microSD to RAID them, I would probably be convinced that it was a good idea

Just as leaving space in the top corners of the iCP2 turns out to be for speakers, clearing the lid of the P2 for a huge screen

Another thought is that a premium console/palmtop should have a backpanel touchpad - PSvita style

Perhaps this explains the enthusiasm for android?
Given Ed's wonderful ability to post good sense and constructive news, I think it might help if there were an official post detailing the outline plans for the P2, addressing key points like:

• Will it cost $750
  • Whats this magical hardware deal that requires android as a stock install?
  • Will it run real Linux out of the box
  • Are we restricted to microSD card slots?
  • How is the 8GB of ram going to be achieved?

Its early days yet, but the core customer base is being put off buying a product that hasn't really reached the drawing board - which is a crazy state of affairs :(
If microSD slots are used what is the max amount of slots we can have? I'd like to see 3 or even 4 slots. That way I could have 1 or 2 dedicated to music and videos the rest for games, os etc. I have A LOT of media and documents.

You know, if the P2 purposely used microSD to RAID them, I would probably be convinced that it was a good idea

Just as leaving space in the top corners of the iCP2 turns out to be for speakers, clearing the lid of the P2 for a huge screen

Another thought is that a premium console/palmtop should have a backpanel touchpad - PSvita style

Perhaps this explains the enthusiasm for android?

Not to get too far down this rabbit hole...

Two microSDXC slots = 1 full sized SD slot in fuction.

A four card microSDXC RAID10 would have roughly the same or less performance than a two card SDXC RAID1.

Now, if you're talking about a snap on module to the Binky modular design with my 'make both sides the same' addition - then you COULD make a single module with 12! microSD slots (3 dual stacks front and back) and run RAID 6 on those - and have a truly bitchin' palm sized server... I wonder if a surface to surface connector could handle the bandwidth to run something like that. Hmm...

Screen should be WXGA 16:10, not FHD

Audio may be good enough already

I think wowing people is largely about unusual details - he pandora was (and is) unusual because of the keyboard - game controls combo

on the topic of raided micro SD, a pair of microSD cards has an advantage compared to a single SD card; they won't die at exactly the same time.

I wouldn't mind:

full SDXC (external)

quad microSD RAID 5 (internal)

RAID and pocket computing don't go together, which is a good reason why they should!

I wouldn't mind:

full SDXC (external)

quad microSD RAID 5 (internal)

RAID and pocket computing don't go together, which is a good reason why they should!
From an old-school server builder: If you're going to use RAID5, then you best use at least 5 disks - that is where the optimum space hit for the parity disk starts to click.

Frankly, if you're going to even consider RAID in the device, you're going to want to be able to handle several multiples of the fastest SD/microSD cards on the market - so that Bus would have to take 400MB/sec +/- in order to justify it. Not that that is such a bad thing.

And this is from page two

If you're going to use RAID5, then you best use at least 5 disks - that is where the optimum space hit for the parity disk starts to click.
Is there room for that many cards?

Maybe one SDXC slot on the mainboard, and a whole bunch of microSD on a daughterboard?

I know it's hard. :/

Right over BOTH of your heads. OBVIOUSLY I was not directly comparing a phone to a pandora.

I'm going to stop you right there.

First let me make something clear - your posts are enormous. And redundant. I don't read all of them. In fact, I don't read most of them. So if I ask a question you already answered and I missed it I apologize. But that doesn't actually apply here. You started off a post saying THIS:

For instance, how many of you are constantly swapping the microSD card on your phone? How do you get the videos and mp3's to and from your device? I expect most people swap the card out of their phone rarely.

There. You're using usage patterns on a phone to try to justify your argument. Nothing you said before or after that will make this post relevant or valid. That's what I was responding to. I don't really care to participate further in whatever it is you're doing here, which would appear to be trying to win arguments by burying people in mountains of text. Literally five posts in a row, including big quote dumps where you add nothing. This is not the kind of thing people want to slog through. Do you have no grasp of forum etiquette?

Well I guess I'm just different then, in that I like to know what I'm talking about before opening my mouth. If it's too much effort for you then expect this type of response. It might be helpful for you to just put me on ignore. That way you're assured to only see the things that are relevent to you. It's not my fault people don't respond to your post as much as mine. Must be nice.

OMG thank you! This is exactly what I'm talking about. It took TWELVE PAGES before anyone could offer some actual meat as to why it possibly can't work. Before people talked about breakage but to be frank I only took it serious with your input. I appreciate you filling me in! I only wish you said this much sooner. Thanks!

Depending on which soc is choosen in the future, 4 slots could be very impractical, since the device might not have enough SD controllers (or enough fast controllers).

From what I've read, the chip in the panda has 3 controllers, we use 2 for the SD slots and the remaining for wifi.

The omap4 series have 5. but only two of them are 'high-speed' (DMA and connected to a faster bus)

From all that i have found on the omap5 series, this doesn't seem to have been improved much upon, this could of course turn out to be completely wrong, but it's probably worth keeping in mind.

Also, even if some might not swap cards often, there are more than enough people that do, and probably would, even all cards turns out to be microSD's.

And if so, there would be quiet a few useres who would break their cards, microSD's are not made to be swapped more than perhaps a couple of times a year.

If you're careless, in a hurry, or have some bad luck, you will break a card or two.

I'll just drop this little quote right here.

Of course, as Exo said, if the design is limited by PCB space, last I checked the footprint of a microSD card is less than half that of a fullSD card. However, assuming the SoC has a limited number of SD/MMC controllers, replacing a fullSD card with 2x microSD cards would not really work despite possibly saving a little space.

Literally five posts in a row, including big quote dumps where you add nothing. This is not the kind of thing people want to slog through. Do you have no grasp of forum etiquette?

I'm just going to repeat this.

Some posts before we heared arguments that fulll sized SD-Cards are good for those who want to swap SD-Cards.

They are also good for those who don't want to swap them or carrymultiple Cards with them.

I like full SD-Cards because they can contain more GB. I don't want to have lots of cards with me or swap often.

I want everything with me inside my Pandora. Micro SD might not be enough if we can emulate Dreamcast and PSP. Both devices use big files/games.

(I'm preaay sure P2 will be able to emulate those two devices as it's 2 generations after P1.)

I know it's hard. :/
I know, but you must try harder, thinking things through before you vocalize them will bring you much further. This (thinking in general) could also help you to differentiate wether someone is expressing is wishes how his ideal device would be and realistic proposals taht could actually be used in P2.

maybe a new job interview outfit?

that(the whole sentence)was quite offensive..like if a new outift would change things during an interview?many people here are not rich snobbish SOB like you,who shits money in the toilet every morning.many talented people like me and other aroudn here(and elsewhere)are just struggling to find a good job,or a job at all,because of various reasons,and YOU dare stating such idiotic nonsense like that?hope an admin bans you as quickly as possible..or rather,i hope you'll be broke soon..very soon..until you'll have to find money for something else than a "new job interview outfit"

Last edited by a moderator:
totally overlooked this, sorry for that

By bringing up Apple you just acknowledged that form factor is a consideration.
A consideration for executives in big companys that want a share in a not totally saturated market, but we're in a very small niche here, where sourrounding parameters can't be compared directly.

Most of your preference issues can be solved with a usb cable or card adapter. With sufficient card slots on the P2 you wouldn't have to swap cards with your car radio. Just clone the data.
That would counteract the whole idea of having a almost pocketble portable device. If I have to drag a bunch of adapters a long to keep the versitility of the device at the same level as its predecessor, the devices attraction levels goes down. And what about "the just clone your data" point ?

All in all, with this two sentences your are weakening your own argumentation: Scrapping a/the full size SD slot will lead to needs for a adapter and the need to clone data.

I brought up tablets because I'm sure those people probably weighed the issue too. Maybe even did some focus testing. That's why I'm asking for other metrics in addition to preferences to weigh in on the issue. Cost, size, functionality, usage etc. My preferences for instance, would be to forego SD if I could trade bluetooth, micro hdmi as well as micro usb 3.0 for it (if it turned out that would be the type of trade off I'd have to make).
Don't know what to make of this (not meant offensive). At least the video out and the ext. peripherals bus are some of the very few points where the community and craig agree with each other that they will be/stay in P2 - so there out of the equation anyway.

Regarding tablets: If they did, "they" don't understand their own product. So lets preach again: Tablets -> build for a specific set of usecases, Pandor -> jack of all trades

that(the whole sentence)was quite offensive..like if a new outift would change things during an interview?many people here are not rich snobbish SOB like you,who shits money in the toilet every morning.many talented people like me and other aroudn here(and elsewhere)are just struggling to find a good job,or a job at all,because of various reasons,and YOU dare stating such idiotic nonsense like that?hope an admin bans you as quickly as possible..or rather,i hope you'll be broke soon..very soon..until you'll have to find money for something else than a "new job interview outfit"

To set the record straight on your concern for my past and future: I grew up dirt poor - food stamps and all. I worked heavy construction to put myself through college and have through excessive labor and dedication joined the ranks of the middle class.

I've been on both sides of the job interview table. I can tell you that first impressions include appearance. It DOES make a difference regardless if the job is vertical concrete forms or office work. When a person walks in the door to meet what they hope to be their future boss, they should be clean, wearing a clean and relatively new (no holes) version of the expected attire for that position. If it's construction, good blue jeans, solid boots and a weather appropriate shirt. If it's office work the best option is a suit or proper skirt & top. Enter the room with a smile, introduce yourself with confidence and shake their hand. Anything less is disrespectful and shows a lack of confidence and initiative.

So - you think that someone who lusts for a luxury item that they can not afford should beg the manufacturer to lower the price? If it worked that way we'd all be driving Bugatti Veyrons that we bought for 5000USD. If only the world worked that way.

In my very humble opinion, said lusty individual has his or her priorities all mucked up. I believe they should use what they could afford of said luxury item in improving their lot in life. If a person truly can not afford $700 - i.e. they're living paycheck to paycheck, they have no real business buying a $700 toy. A 'new job interview outfit' is a concise way of saying that I believe they should reassess their priorities.

Clearly you're offended by these concepts and think I should be banned for implying that if a person is too poor to buy a $700 device that they really really want then they should use their money for something other than a tiny computer/game machine.

With your string of poorly structured run on sentences with no punctuation interspersed with misspellings despite these boards having an automatic spell checker, I can only assume that English is not your native tongue. Therefore I offer this explanation of my statement in case you had missed the subtlety in it.

I stand by my statement. Do you?

To set the record straight on your concern for my past and future: I grew up dirt poor - food stamps and all. I worked heavy construction to put myself through college and have through excessive labor and dedication joined the ranks of the middle class.

I've been on both sides of the job interview table. I can tell you that first impressions include appearance. It DOES make a difference regardless if the job is vertical concrete forms or office work. When a person walks in the door to meet what they hope to be their future boss, they should be clean, wearing a clean and relatively new (no holes) version of the expected attire for that position. If it's construction, good blue jeans, solid boots and a weather appropriate shirt. If it's office work the best option is a suit or proper skirt & top. Enter the room with a smile, introduce yourself with confidence and shake their hand. Anything less is disrespectful and shows a lack of confidence and initiative.

So - you think that someone who lusts for a luxury item that they can not afford should beg the manufacturer to lower the price? If it worked that way we'd all be driving Bugatti Veyrons that we bought for 5000USD. If only the world worked that way.

In my very humble opinion, said lusty individual has his or her priorities all mucked up. I believe they should use what they could afford of said luxury item in improving their lot in life. If a person truly can not afford $700 - i.e. they're living paycheck to paycheck, they have no real business buying a $700 toy. A 'new job interview outfit' is a concise way of saying that I believe they should reassess their priorities.

Clearly you're offended by these concepts and think I should be banned for implying that if a person is too poor to buy a $700 device that they really really want then they should use their money for something other than a tiny computer/game machine.

With your string of poorly structured run on sentences with no punctuation interspersed with misspellings despite these boards having an automatic spell checker, I can only assume that English is not your native tongue. Therefore I offer this explanation of my statement in case you had missed the subtlety in it.

I stand by my statement. Do you?

ahh i see,you're one of those "English is not your native langauge"know-it.all..no,its not,i'm Italian.is that a problem for you,or other than being a snobbish money shitter (and a compulsive liar,because nobody who's ever been in both sides as you say,would ever admit to be on the "rich" side) you're also racist AND a grammar nazi?

ahh i see,you're one of those "English is not your native langauge"know-it.all..no,its not,i'm Italian.is that a problem for you,or other than being a snobbish money shitter (and a compulsive liar,because nobody who's ever been in both sides as you say,would ever admit to be on the "rich" side) you're also racist AND a grammar nazi?

No. Kindly move along sir, this is the wrong thread, forum, and community for your aimless ad hominems.

I'm all for considered arguments, but wild insult matches are not appropriate, or acceptable 'round here.

If you cannot be (at least somewhat) polite, please stop posting.

I'm all for considered arguments, but wild insult matches are not appropriate, or acceptable 'round here.

ah another one?how you call someone who just like to offend other people just because "english is not their native grammar"?and before yo ustart defend your grammar master,keep in mind that hewas the one who wrote something that offensive.unelss,of course,you're made out of his same "mold",so you agree on being racist on everyone who's not English native speaker.Funny thing is,that none of you,or the grammar nazi itself,dare repyling about the racist thing

what people like you can't see was the juice of my affirmation.its undeniable that a good outfit yields to a better chance of having a job.I would never hire someone's who's dressed as a farmer for a banker job.but stating what he wrote before its just out of the oridnary.good to know i wasn't the only one accusing this,according to the topics posted above

i'll leave you English noblemen with a quote:"if you're denying or avoiding the accusation you've been accused to,you're just part of of the accuse"

ah another one?how you call someone who just like to offend other people just because "english is not their native grammar"?and before yo ustart defend your grammar master,keep in mind that hewas the one who wrote something that offensive.unelss,of course,you're made out of his same "mold",so you agree on being racist on everyone who's not English native speaker.Funny thing is,that none of you,or the grammar nazi itself,dare repyling about the racist thing

what people like you can't see was the juice of my affirmation.its undeniable that a good outfit yields to a better chance of having a job.I would never hire someone's who's dressed as a farmer for a banker job.but stating what he wrote before its just out of the oridnary.good to know i wasn't the only one accusing this,according to the topics posted above

i'll leave you English noblemen with a quote:"if you're denying or avoiding the accusation you've been accused to,you're just part of of the accuse"

Italians are welcome here.

It's the Irish we don't want.

Funny thing is,that none of you,or the grammar nazi itself,dare repyling about the racist thing
Maybe in your anger you missed that you were kindly told by two people that this is not the right place to throw ugly insults at people. I myself am very offended by such words and hereby also kindly ask you to stop calling people "nazi" or "racist"!

If you are offended by something somebody said it is your right to complain and set things straight. But please do this in an appropriate manner. Insulting people is not appropriate, it only weakens your own position in the matter and lowers your reputation.

So please calm down and be reasonable. Thank you!

Please stop abusing the word "racist" like that. This reminds me of something that happened to me some time ago: I reviewed a crappy paper that was submitted to some conference, and I rejected it. It was crappy in many ways, one of which was the writing style (but more importantly, the actual content was also crappy). I ave quite detailed (constructive) criticisms on contents and style in my review. Coincidentally, the paper was authored by Italians. I don't know about the other reviews (the review process is anonymous), but the overall decision for the paper was rejection. Instead of improving the paper and trying again, they complained to the program chairs and called me a racist because, so they claimed, obviously I was rejecting the paper because it was written by Italians. Of course I couldn't care less about the nationality of the authors of a paper (or even about who the authors are, but in this case it was not a double-blind review process), and of course their complaining to the program chairs didn't change anything about their paper being rejected because it sucked, but it was quite annoying to be accused of being a racist.

Actually I'm a member of an anti-racism organization, and I'm offended by the way some people are abusing the word "racist" as a random insult like that, in a last-ditch argument in a losing discussion.

Back