More Pandora 2 crap (MicroSD Split)

Look I agree these points are valid. I'm asking if others exist besides cameras and ease of handling. Busted in class laters
I have 4 SD Cards for my Pandora1. One is almost constantly in use, and I could put all that stuff on a microSD instead.

Depending on what else I want to do I put in my "MP3 and Video" SD or my "PSX SD" or whatever. With micro-SD's this would turn into a nightmare because of their tiny size. To carry USB-cables and additional devices along kind of kills the idea of a portable device.

Sure I could get a microSD that is large enough to fit everything I have. But this is not only very expensive, it also means that all my menus are full with stuff I don't need most of the time.

So yeah, there are more reasons to have a normal SD slot besides easy file-transfer between other portable and non-portable devices, ease of handling, price and availability when it comes to capacity. Most of them are a matter of convenience, but in my opinion there is already enough competition on the marked between inconvenient devices ;)

The discussion evolved from the fact that 2 microSD's slots are about the same size as one SD slot (probably less if we worked on it). With 4 microSD slots you wouldn't have to buy large capacity cards. You could buy the cheaper lower capacity cards and have the same capacity as you would with 2 64gb or 128 gb SD cards at a cheaper price. This means you would be able to keep your PSX SD card as well as your Music and Video SD card + an OS or two in the unit that would never need to be removed. There would be no need for swapping, just use your pandora as you would an external usb hard drive. Failing that, resort to an adapter or whatever else solution is suitable. By having so many microSD slots the swapping of cards problem is all but solved!

Last edited by a moderator:
For instance, how many of you are constantly swapping the microSD card on your phone? How do you get the videos and mp3's to and from your device? I expect most people swap the card out of their phone rarely. Same concept here, but now you have four times the space! So much space you can cheaply buy low capacity cards that equal or exceed the space your current SDs allow for. At that point it's an economically feasible, user upgradeable hard drive. Hence no need to swap.

People use Pandora to do things like test alternate OSes. They could be swapping SD cards all the time. Arguments comparing it to usage patterns on smart phones aren't likely to win people over.

People use Pandora to do things like test alternate OSes. They could be swapping SD cards all the time. Arguments comparing it to usage patterns on smart phones aren't likely to win people over.

Already covered. You must have missed it.

Right now I have ONE 128GB card in my Pandora housing everything I keep 'on device'. Music, programs, etc. It has room to spare - so I can onload/offload data from whatever SD card I put in the 2nd slot.

I never have to carry around a pile of fragile tiny cards that I can't pick up. I never have to swap cards unless it's to add/remove data from the main machine. I never need an adapter or USB key to do it.

The above examples claiming that four 64GB microSD cards for $550 is better because a single 256GB SD card is $900 is misleading at best.

There is only one manufacturer and one card being released at the 256GB price point and we all understand perfectly well that it will have an natural premium associated with it's price until there is competition in that market.

If you want to make that comparison, then use:

1. four 64GB microSD cards - swapping them in/out and transport you're VERY likely to loose or break one of those - so you really should add an expected 25% card loss into that for a 5th card - but we can skip that for now. Also add in a micro-sd card wallet or someplace to keep track of those. Then stitch an extra pocket into your pants to allow for the card wallet... etc. The price listed above $559 + all the extras listed here.

2. two high speed 128GB SDXC cards. No swapping needed. No keeping track of the card that isn't in the device. $240 current price.

In about 6 months 256GB SDXC cards should be in the ~$200 to ~$250 range. Right around that time microSD will be getting it's 128GB debut. No crystal ball needed.

Exactly. We 100% agree on that.

The Pandora is not a phone. It is a computer. Attempting to compare it's use to a phone's use scenario is simply a waste of time.

Look I agree these points are valid. I'm asking if others exist besides cameras and ease of handling. Busted in class laters

Edit:

This is how I plan to use it without SD.

I'd have one micro dedicated to a P1 pnd for backwards compatibility. Another one for Android. A third (recall the volume of 1 sd card equals the volume of 9 micros, but that is unrealistic so go with 4) for media/games or whatever. The 4th...??

To transfer files I could use usb to connect to my laptop and plug an SD card into my laptop as well, or use one of the several usb hubs I have lying around that cost $4 or so. In this way I would never have to remove my micros. If I did and was forced to for some reason, I would use a microSD to SD adapter. But since I have extra SD cards lying around I would just clone the data and use the SD cards with devices that required it like cameras for instance. The microSDs just stay in the pandora. I see no reason to remove them.

SD is great. They just take up so much space for arguably little gain.
...and arguably HUGE gain.

You could have a clip on adapter that sits on the bottom with more SD slots than you could shake a stick at. But is that practical? Maybe.
No

Perhaps what would be more practical would be to have at least one SD slot. OK fine. Let's go with that. What does that mean in regards to what has to be left out to make room for that slot?
Nothing, if the P2 were 1cm wider (does not affect pocket ability at all!) there would be room for a full SD slot

Could the slot(s) SD or otherwise be moved to the screen or somewhere else? What problems would that introduce?
lots of problems, but this is irrelevant, see above

What do we gain with going with SD, what do we lose doing the same? I don't know the details of what's going into the device so I don't know what we might lose with the lost space. For instance does losing space mean we have to use more expensive and smaller components or increase the size of the unit?

As far as why I like microSD I will list a few factors:

1. The consumer electronic industry for handheld devices itself is navigating towards microSD.

2. This will drive the evolution of the product and make it more ubiquitous as well as robust.
Except the camera industry. I don't care what apple & others do - SD isn't dying any time soon

microSD cannot be anywhere near as robust as full SD at that size

3. The form factor allows me to have more than 2 dedicated cards.

4. As my storage needs grow I can increase my storage without instantly making my older cards obsolete at a pace my wallet allows.
What?

SD will always have a higher capacity than microSD

If I have two SD slots, I can have lots of dedicated cards , and swap them around, Or just keep lots of stuff on one card

What are you on about with the obsolete? I have some low capacity and some high capacity SD cards in my pandora, I swap both around, and both are useful. Please explain

5. I can have slots dedicated to more than one OS, games, media and backwards compatibility with the precursor pandora.
Have you heard of these things called 'partitions' or 'directories' - whats the point here?

6. I sacrifice immediate capacity (and arguably speed too but Samsung is releasing a faster 64gb microSD at 70/104! r/w! mb/s and resistant to water, magnetic fields and X-rays to boot) yet retain the ability to regain that capacity when prices fall.
This is no different to fullSD

7. Pandora's technology will not have to be sacrificed due to space considerations.
You're implying that the current proposed size is necessary

Just make the P2 thw same (or a little narrower) width as the P1

8. I don't need to carry around cards to swap in and out because more than two slots exist on the unit.
You need to do so More, because of decreased capacity.

If you wanted to, it would be very hard due to the unwieldy smallness

9. Instead of a usb drive I could just use my sleek and easily pocketable Pandora.
this is not an argument for microSD
10. I could get (shortly) 4 64gb cards at 45 mb/s for $559.96, or pay $899.99(!) for the same 256 gb capacity SD card at 60 mb/s (or wait for Samsungs pricing details on their 64gb microSD at 70 mb/s). This goes with 6.
this would be beter compared as 4x64GB to 2x128GB
see grench above

11. As my cards become obsolete (at a slower rate) I would use them in my phone or tablet device (likely Microsofts Surface. Surface Pro if I can afford it) or stick them in the adapter they came with and upgrade my camera (we're talking HD quality speeds at this point).
<derail> why would you want a locked down, minority laptop with a lame keyboard?
12. microSD might lag a bit when UHS-2 comes out in the future. But I can't really speculate on that.

All that said, I'm fine with SD as long as we don't gimp the P2 in the process.
The P2 will be more restricted by using microSD, than it could be by adding a cm to the sides (NOTE this would still be smaller than the P1)

The discussion evolved from the fact that 2 microSD's slots are about the same size as one SD slot (probably less if we worked on it). With 4 microSD slots you wouldn't have to buy large capacity cards. You could buy the cheaper lower capacity cards and have the same capacity as you would with 2 64gb or 128 gb SD cards at a cheaper price. This means you would be able to keep your PSX SD card as well as your Music and Video SD card + an OS or two in the unit that would never need to be removed. There would be no need for swapping, just use your pandora as you would an external usb hard drive. Failing that, resort to an adapter or whatever else solution is suitable. By having so many microSD slots the swapping of cards problem is all but solved!
I don't get the obsesion of keeping different sorts of files on different cards

Pandora is not a phone

The discussion evolved from the fact that 2 microSD's slots are about the same size as one SD slot (probably less if we worked on it). With 4 microSD slots you wouldn't have to buy large capacity cards. You could buy the cheaper lower capacity cards and have the same capacity as you would with 2 64gb or 128 gb SD cards at a cheaper price. This means you would be able to keep your PSX SD card as well as your Music and Video SD card + an OS or two in the unit that would never need to be
You totally missed the point there.

I don't want to have it all there all the time! I want to swap cards, so I have only what I need there, and not tons of stuff to browse through in the menu.

And liftoff!

Right now I have ONE 128GB card in my Pandora housing everything I keep 'on device'. Music, programs, etc. It has room to spare - so I can onload/offload data from whatever SD card I put in the 2nd slot.

Great. Some of us would rather not spend the amount of money to buy one large SD card. Which is basically a point you continue to miss. Others have up to four SD cards that they swap around

I never have to carry around a pile of fragile tiny cards that I can't pick up. I never have to swap cards unless it's to add/remove data from the main machine. I never need an adapter or USB key to do it.

Already covered. This setup doesn't make you swap cards either. Others do though. Take some time to catch up with the reading if you need to.

The above examples claiming that four 64GB microSD cards for $550 is better because a single 256GB SD card is $900 is misleading at best.

No it's a perfect example. One you yourself brought it up as the flagship card. OOooo! Two it shows you can approach the capacity of SD for a MUCH cheaper price. Which ironically is the WHOLE BASIS of this "recent" discussion! Point missed again. I thought you liked options?

There is only one manufacturer and one card being released at the 256GB price point and we all understand perfectly well that it will have an natural premium associated with it's price until there is competition in that market.

Shouldn't have tried to use it to prove a point then :/ Reap what ya sow.

If you want to make that comparison, then use:

1. four 64GB microSD cards - swapping them in/out and transport you're VERY likely to loose or break one of those - so you really should add an expected 25% card loss into that for a 5th card - but we can skip that for now. Also add in a micro-sd card wallet or someplace to keep track of those. Then stitch an extra pocket into your pants to allow for the card wallet... etc. The price listed above $559 + all the extras listed here.

No need to swap. Go ahead and read up on the argument before arguing against something that's not there.

2. two high speed 128GB SDXC cards. No swapping needed. No keeping track of the card that isn't in the device. $240 current price.

4 microSD cards. No swapping needed. I'm not sure what card you're talking about but if it's the one I think you are talking about you'd really settle for 20mb/s write speed? What happened to all that extra speed you've been claiming to need for so long?

In about 6 months 256GB SDXC cards should be in the ~$200 to ~$250 range. Right around that time microSD will be getting it's 128GB debut. No crystal ball needed.

riiiiight. In 6 months it will be $200-250 range. In a year it will be even cheaper. What do you expect to happen to the prices of microSD at that time? Are you sure you don't need a crystal ball?

Edit:

This is how I plan to use it without SD.

I'd have one micro dedicated to a P1 pnd for backwards compatibility. Another one for Android. A third (recall the volume of 1 sd card equals the volume of 9 micros, but that is unrealistic so go with 4) for media/games or whatever. The 4th...??

To transfer files I could use usb to connect to my laptop and plug an SD card into my laptop as well, or use one of the several usb hubs I have lying around that cost $4 or so. In this way I would never have to remove my micros. If I did and was forced to for some reason, I would use a microSD to SD adapter. But since I have extra SD cards lying around I would just clone the data and use the SD cards with devices that required it like cameras for instance. The microSDs just stay in the pandora. I see no reason to remove them.

SD is great. They just take up so much space for arguably little gain.
...and arguably HUGE gain.

Argue the HUGE gain then. Simple.

You could have a clip on adapter that sits on the bottom with more SD slots than you could shake a stick at. But is that practical? Maybe.
No

Earlier when people said you could do that for the microSDs I didn't see any griping. Like when someone vastly underrepresented the speed of microSD I didn't see Grench swoop in to offer a correction.

Perhaps what would be more practical would be to have at least one SD slot. OK fine. Let's go with that. What does that mean in regards to what has to be left out to make room for that slot?
Nothing, if the P2 were 1cm wider (does not affect pocket ability at all!) there would be room for a full SD slot

You know this because....? So basically you're saying that what ever plans these guys have been working on, they need to scrap it because you need your device 1cm wider. Why settle for 1cm why not pick 3cm?

Could the slot(s) SD or otherwise be moved to the screen or somewhere else? What problems would that introduce?
lots of problems, but this is irrelevant, see above

Where did you get the idea this would cause lots of problems? It might actually solve problems if you thought about it. See above.

What do we gain with going with SD, what do we lose doing the same? I don't know the details of what's going into the device so I don't know what we might lose with the lost space. For instance does losing space mean we have to use more expensive and smaller components or increase the size of the unit?

As far as why I like microSD I will list a few factors:

1. The consumer electronic industry for handheld devices itself is navigating towards microSD.

2. This will drive the evolution of the product and make it more ubiquitous as well as robust.
Except the camera industry. I don't care what apple & others do - SD isn't dying any time soon

microSD cannot be anywhere near as robust as full SD at that size

Great! Logical fallacies all over the place. Let's start with your red herring. Is a camera a handheld device? Yes. Is it what I was talking about? No. Next you claim that I assert that microSD will be as robust (in which you mean same capacity at the cutting edge) when I never made that claim. The newest cellphones are now taking advantage of the higher speeds that microSD cards have. People will buy them. This will drive competition. Tablet users will find use for them. During this cycle cellphones become more uber to take advantage of the new offerings and distance theirselves from competitors. The processing speed of the related technologies will increase. This implies that microSD will hit a boom. You can still use your SD, it will still be great for your cameras. Once microSD reaches the fast enough and cheap enough thresh hold you can bet that cameras will start to use them too. Why, for the same reason that everyone else does too.

You propose a false dichotomy. Your claim is basically either use SD or it will never work without it due to robustness and capacity. But more than two options exist!

3. The form factor allows me to have more than 2 dedicated cards.

4. As my storage needs grow I can increase my storage without instantly making my older cards obsolete at a pace my wallet allows.
What?

SD will always have a higher capacity than microSD

If I have two SD slots, I can have lots of dedicated cards , and swap them around, Or just keep lots of stuff on one card

What are you on about with the obsolete? I have some low capacity and some high capacity SD cards in my pandora, I swap both around, and both are useful. Please explain

Sigh...Dedicated in the sense that they remain in the unit for a specific purpose. Obsolete in the sense that (for example) I have an 8gb card and a 16gb card in the only two SD slots available. My local electronic store has a sale on 32gb cards so I pick one up. Now my 8gb card is obsolete. The next time I upgrade my 16gb card is obsolete. Oh but wait a sweet deal on a 64gb just showed up and now I have 3 obsolete cards. Whereas if I had four slots I could use them all without swapping.

5. I can have slots dedicated to more than one OS, games, media and backwards compatibility with the precursor pandora.
Have you heard of these things called 'partitions' or 'directories' - whats the point here?

Yes. Now I can do it multiple cards or not worrying about partitions or directories whatsoever. Maybe those sweet ready to go PND images come about and I want to play with that without having to become a super user.

6. I sacrifice immediate capacity (and arguably speed too but Samsung is releasing a faster 64gb microSD at 70/104! r/w! mb/s and resistant to water, magnetic fields and X-rays to boot) yet retain the ability to regain that capacity when prices fall.
This is no different to fullSD

It's different because you only have 2 slots to work with. It's probably the main reason why I brought it up.

7. Pandora's technology will not have to be sacrificed due to space considerations.
You're implying that the current proposed size is necessary

Just make the P2 thw same (or a little narrower) width as the P1

We're talking 2013-2014. What you're talking about is soooo 2008.

8. I don't need to carry around cards to swap in and out because more than two slots exist on the unit.
You need to do so More, because of decreased capacity.

If you wanted to, it would be very hard due to the unwieldy smallness

You didn't understand what I said. Unfortunately I can't address this as it makes no relative nor contextual sense. Sorry. Restate and I'll try though.

9. Instead of a usb drive I could just use my sleek and easily pocketable Pandora.
this is not an argument for microSD
Almost correct. This is showing that having to swap cards is not an argument against it. It's saying I wouldn't have to swap cards to be able to affordably have multiple dedicated card slots. One of which could be used as a jump drive. You could do the same with SD. But then you're kind of junking up a slot, having to swap stuff etc.

10. I could get (shortly) 4 64gb cards at 45 mb/s for $559.96, or pay $899.99(!) for the same 256 gb capacity SD card at 60 mb/s (or wait for Samsungs pricing details on their 64gb microSD at 70 mb/s). This goes with 6.
this would be beter compared as 4x64GB to 2x128GB
see grench above

See above. Pro SD ralliers (like yourself in this very same post even!) like to bandie about these UBER MAX capacity size ULTIMATE SPEED SDs, but when someone shows numbers you guys are all shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

11. As my cards become obsolete (at a slower rate) I would use them in my phone or tablet device (likely Microsofts Surface. Surface Pro if I can afford it) or stick them in the adapter they came with and upgrade my camera (we're talking HD quality speeds at this point).
<derail> why would you want a locked down, minority laptop with a lame keyboard?
The surface is a Tablet PC so it's like a regular tablet but it comes with a keyboard. Why do I want it? Because I'm a student and taking notes in onenote is hella sweeet. My convertible wacom laptop died a few years ago and I've been missing it. It doesn't help that my vector calculus instructor teaches with a tablet exclusively (Xournal) and uses it to post his notes online. I also like to take notes in several colors. Using an array of pens (signo) to do the same thing I could do with a tablet color palet sucks.

If I wanted to ulti-douche on you I could ask you the same thing about why you use a pandora. Let that sink in for a second. You think an outsider couldn't criticize your choice as well? Speaking of the Pandora the fact that I'm a engineering student made me want one even more. I will have almost graduated by the time my Pandora arrives. I await it with bated breath!

12. microSD might lag a bit when UHS-2 comes out in the future. But I can't really speculate on that.

All that said, I'm fine with SD as long as we don't gimp the P2 in the process.
The P2 will be more restricted by using microSD, than it could be by adding a cm to the sides (NOTE this would still be smaller than the P1)

The P2 will be more restricted by using SD, than it could be by not adding a cm to the sides (NOTE this would still be smaller than the P1)

I don't get the obsesion of keeping different sorts of files on different cards

Read up. That was in response to someone that said they swapped out 4 SD cards because of PSX/Music/Video etc.

Pandora is not a phone

Derr. Interestingly enough Grench has proved my point that with sufficient capacity you can just leave the card in. The pricepoint of the capacity is at issue. The cost of the card and the cost to the pandora itself.

The discussion evolved from the fact that 2 microSD's slots are about the same size as one SD slot (probably less if we worked on it). With 4 microSD slots you wouldn't have to buy large capacity cards. You could buy the cheaper lower capacity cards and have the same capacity as you would with 2 64gb or 128 gb SD cards at a cheaper price. This means you would be able to keep your PSX SD card as well as your Music and Video SD card + an OS or two in the unit that would never need to be
You totally missed the point there.

I don't want to have it all there all the time! I want to swap cards, so I have only what I need there, and not tons of stuff to browse through in the menu.

Clarify your point by making it more clear. I had no idea you were trying to illustrate your enjoyment of swapping out cards.

Exactly. We 100% agree on that.

The Pandora is not a phone. It is a computer. Attempting to compare it's use to a phone's use scenario is simply a waste of time.

Right over BOTH of your heads. OBVIOUSLY I was not directly comparing a phone to a pandora. I was saying that for similar reasons that you leave your(8,16, 2x64gb whatever) microSD in your multi-media phone or your Tablet if that helps, you could do the same with the P2. I laid the foundation for this argument long ago I don't know why you guys have such a hard time keeping up. As far as I know, these cards are the very hard drives of the P2. Do you swap HDs on your computer? How's that? I compared a computer to a computer.

Edit:

Actually I'm surprised (OK not really!) that you guys would even make a peep after I've destroyed every-single-argument you've thrown my way. But I guess you get the illusion of the scent of blood in the water and you guys gotta attack.

Clarify your point by making it more clear. I had no idea you were trying to illustrate your enjoyment of swapping out cards.
There isn't infinite room on the desktop or the start-menu due to the limited screen size.

I like to have things in order. If I want mp3 and/or videos I insert that SD and the needed programs pop up on the desktop (which is pretty enjoyable to watch by the way). If I don't need any of this I remove the card and the space on the desktop (or in the menu) is free for other stuff.

For experimenting with different OS I'd also like to be able to easily swap cards. For getting the latest video from my PC to watch it on the move I also find it most convenient to just directly load it to my SD and then just put that SD into my Pandora and watch it directly (instead of having to use a USB stick which sticks out in the back or having to copy it on to the microSD in the Pandora). For me it makes a lot of things easier and adds compatibility (also with my camera, which I intend to use for the next 10 years or so).

A microSD slot is perfect as main storage, to replace the NAND and put that stuff on you always need or want to have. A second full SD slot adds a lot of additional options and easy access. So if there is enough space it does make a lot of sense to have one.

I see! Thank you for the clarification. I agree it would be a pain to have things popping up all over your screen. I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that your consideration would be taken note of and corrected for in the next OS (I imagined a drive handler). Nevertheless I appreciate you taking the time to clear up what I can't possibly understand since I'm still waiting for my 2 pandoras. Thanks again.

... With 4 microSD slots ....
Ahh come one why is nobody telling me that he is just trolling :angry:

Serious, I have an even better Idea, why not scrap that lousy keyboard - who needs that anyway, industry is leeding with touchscreens today ? So we could have at least 16 MicroSD Slot - think of all the capacity !.

Seriously now, could you please try to think your arguments through before posting them ? If you had done that you may had the idea that there is only a finity number of peripheral - "connections" a SoC usually offers.

Right over BOTH of your heads. OBVIOUSLY I was not directly comparing a phone to a pandora.

I'm going to stop you right there.

First let me make something clear - your posts are enormous. And redundant. I don't read all of them. In fact, I don't read most of them. So if I ask a question you already answered and I missed it I apologize. But that doesn't actually apply here. You started off a post saying THIS:

For instance, how many of you are constantly swapping the microSD card on your phone? How do you get the videos and mp3's to and from your device? I expect most people swap the card out of their phone rarely.

There. You're using usage patterns on a phone to try to justify your argument. Nothing you said before or after that will make this post relevant or valid. That's what I was responding to. I don't really care to participate further in whatever it is you're doing here, which would appear to be trying to win arguments by burying people in mountains of text. Literally five posts in a row, including big quote dumps where you add nothing. This is not the kind of thing people want to slog through. Do you have no grasp of forum etiquette?

Depending on which soc is choosen in the future, 4 slots could be very impractical, since the device might not have enough SD controllers (or enough fast controllers).

From what I've read, the chip in the panda has 3 controllers, we use 2 for the SD slots and the remaining for wifi.

The omap4 series have 5. but only two of them are 'high-speed' (DMA and connected to a faster bus)

From all that i have found on the omap5 series, this doesn't seem to have been improved much upon, this could of course turn out to be completely wrong, but it's probably worth keeping in mind.

Also, even if some might not swap cards often, there are more than enough people that do, and probably would, even all cards turns out to be microSD's.

And if so, there would be quiet a few useres who would break their cards, microSD's are not made to be swapped more than perhaps a couple of times a year.

If you're careless, in a hurry, or have some bad luck, you will break a card or two.

Back