Pandora Lite ?

Because its the only way of having two "versions" without the incurring redesign. Namely not populating a not-integral part. Anything else is back to being prohibitively expensive for whatever tradeoff metric one decides to land on.  FPGA was just an example, it might make sense for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
But there's no FPGA to begin with. You may as well remove the flux capacitor and ansible while you're at it, those are certainly expensive parts that we don't need.

I think I finally see the point he's not quite making.   He's suggesting creating one PCB to be used for two different versions of the product, populating only the parts needed for the version being made. 

If I understand him correctly he seems to be suggesting the possibility that you could offer a both a base model (the 'lite' version) for the regular price, and a premium model with an additional FPGA for a higher price, and the only change in production of the pcb would be the population of the additional parts.    

What the advantage of adding an FPGA would be, I have no idea.

- Neelix

EDIT: That said if we can build in an ansible, we might have a winner...  we would finally have a decent alternative to skype! ;) *GDR*

I think he just wanted to say that the best way to make different versions of a board is to make one board and then leave stuff unpopulated for the versions which do not need that part.

The FPGA was just a hypothetical example and he wasn't asking for one to be included.

Then what is all the talk about putting other stuff in that spot, without the FPGA?

I think he just wanted to say that the best way to make different versions of a board is to make one board and then leave stuff unpopulated for the versions which do not need that part.

The FPGA was just a hypothetical example and he wasn't asking for one to be included.
Heh, that would put Ed out of business as there would be enough people out there kknow how to poputlate the rest themselves and have a full-size pandora with 1/5 of the price :p

That would work for something like UMTS, where the parts and licenses add about 80 EUR of cost.

But, e.g., I could populate a Pandora without Wifi Chip - and the result would be it would cost 10 EUR less.

Who would buy it without Wifi if he only saves 10 EUR?

Myself, I like the fact that the Pandora is complete - i.e. it has most of exactly what I need, and not much else.  The expansion slot options are great, the two SD slots: awesome, and the controls: excellent.  So there is a sort of 'push it to 11' factor in the Pandora spirit, and I just wanna stick for the idea of not having anything but a single, complete product, as the next sort of .. option.

My opinion is cheap, but the fact that the Pandora has a whole lotta options/slots and so on is important to me.

It will be great, Pandora/Pyra Lite to be OUYA/RaspberyPi like device - without screen, battery, keyboard and controls on it, just to be hooked to any TV/Monitor in order to be used with any keyboard mouse and controller.

EDIT:

Also there is no need to redesign the PCB. Maybe a new case for that kind of device is an option.

For sure it will coast less than the original one, and I am pretty sure that there will be a market for it.

Are people still willing to pay 600? How much will you pay for the new Pandora? Should there be a poll on this?

Should there be a poll on this?
e39.png

No location information in your profile, so guessing by continental population. There's a 4 in 7 chance you're from Asia. Within Asia there's a 5 in 8 chance you're from either India or China. So that would give a fairly good chance you're talking about Rupees or Renminbi. So that would make the price either 7.08€ or 72.84€. Seven euro sounds very small for such a device, so I guess you're chinese. I also think you underestimate the price a little.

:p

Back