Mobile Internet

$45/GB sounds real expensive.
:eek:

Real expensive indeed. My phone plan gives me unlimited everything (including Data) for $30. I'll just keep tethering off that.

Every situation is different.

I seriously doubt if you're getting unlimited phone, text, data and tethering, taxes and surcharges included for $30. Most likely that is just your 'data plan' that is charged on top of the 'phone plan' that helps cover a subsidized phone. If you're already going to have a smart phone on the plan - adding the data plan to it makes fine sense.

I get a phone through work - but I can't tether to it for personal use. I needed a strictly data connection for just my Pandora to use. Since I can generally avoid downloading large items until I can get to a free hot spot - I wasn't worried about massive use. I was concerned about paying monthly for capacity I wasn't going to use. For just me and my Pandora, the net cost of my solution, $150 hardware purchase included, for 1 year should be something in the $250 range. Otherwise I'm buying a phone I don't need, paying for a phone plan I won't use, just to get a data plan. I'd considered buying a connected tablet for this - but I'm a guy and I don't carry a purse to put it in.

I checked with my local phone companies and although they will readily admit that a connected Android tablet and an Android phone are essentially the same thing, they will not sell me an Android phone without a phone plan to use as a tablet. So - I found an alternative.

Your experience and situation may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously doubt if you're getting unlimited phone, text, data and tethering, taxes and surcharges included for $30. Most likely that is just your 'data plan' that is charged on top of the 'phone plan' that helps cover a subsidized phone. If you're already going to have a smart phone on the plan - adding the data plan to it makes fine sense.
No, that's everything. $30 plus tax, fair enough, plus long distance to the US if I make such calls (international calls aren't included in "unlimited", just Canada). My average bill is about $40. Unlocked phone, no contract, no subsidizing. I guess taking the original cost of the phone into account, then I am right now paying an average $64 (taxes included) but that'll come down the longer I own my phone. If I can make it to the end of three years then I'd paid an average $45 a month plus tax.

The benefit to this I hadn't paid attention to is the fact that the data never expires. I may get unlimited everything for less than the GB charge, but that's a regular monthly charge. If you use 1GB every 3 months, that's only a $15 per month average cost, much better.

No, that's everything. $30 plus tax, fair enough, plus long distance to the US if I make such calls (international calls aren't included in "unlimited", just Canada). My average bill is about $40. Unlocked phone, no contract, no subsidizing.

That, Sir, rocks. Consider yourself lucky.

It really re-emphasizes how badly we get treated by our wireless companies in the US. I have my wife's Galaxy S phone (yes - the original one) on a plan like you described. With taxes it's $127 per month - and she's limited to 5GB data per month.

At my current use rate, 1GB of data on my mobile hot spot should last me 4-6 months. I'm probably not the customer they had in mind when they sold them, but it should work out to be a bargain from my perspective.

No, that's everything. $30 plus tax, fair enough, plus long distance to the US if I make such calls (international calls aren't included in "unlimited", just Canada). My average bill is about $40. Unlocked phone, no contract, no subsidizing. I guess taking the original cost of the phone into account, then I am right now paying an average $64 (taxes included) but that'll come down the longer I own my phone. If I can make it to the end of three years then I'd paid an average $45 a month plus tax.

The benefit to this I hadn't paid attention to is the fact that the data never expires. I may get unlimited everything for less than the GB charge, but that's a regular monthly charge. If you use 1GB every 3 months, that's only a $15 per month average cost, much better.
What are you using? WIND? Mobilicity? I've been wanting to switch over to them for a while, such good prices, but at the cost of data speed and that they don't have full cell coverage (roaming fees in your own city.) But depending on how much their coverage has improved it could be a good trade off.

Wind. Coverage is actually quite excellent. I've never been dinged with accidental roaming fees, the only time I have to switch to "away" is when I'm visiting my parents way out in the middle of nowhere. Sticking to the GTA, Milton, Burlington, even some ways into Buffalo, it works great. It isn't much of a tradeoff, in my opinion.

You would be able to fit 3 usb dongles for whatever purpose inside the lower rectangle which would house a USB hub, it would also add more external USB ports for connecting peripherals. And it would "Slot In" to the bottom of the P2 and somehow snap into place. Making the P2 base a little thicker but expanding its capabilities when it came to USB (including storage, and 3g/4g etc.) When not in use the usb port on the bottom of the P2 would be covered by a rubber/plastic port protector of some kind.

love it! :)

just put a stick into the little box and snap it on, cool! 3g, dvb-t on the go? yeah!

so a real geek device needs an usb port on the bottom! :ph34r:

... and when no stick is in use, maybe replace with... Minty Boost. to give you the extra powerup on the go! ;)

150146287_837b3e3d1d.jpg

How does that solve the problem of USB sticks being unusable while carrying your P2 in your pocket?

How does that solve the problem of USB sticks being unusable while carrying your P2 in your pocket?

the idea here is that the usb-stick(s) are located inside, so no sticks sticking out at the edges. ;)

35lc0ev.jpg

The P1 only just fits into most pockets.

If you add the thickness of an average USB stick (Plus some casing), its would be to fat/bulky :(

time to enlarge some pockets!

nothing comes without a cost! ;)

A seperate USB over Wifi hub is a nice idea but it requires another battery another wifi chip/board another antenna. Since the p2 will likely be slimmer than your P1 adding a removable expansion bay to the bottom thats probably only 12mm thick wouldnt be as big an increase as you'd think. Also with the wireless USB hub idea, you'd need another pocket entirely.

you'd need another pocket entirely.

A WUSB hub needn't be in a pocket at all - if you're carrying a laptop bag, briefcase, suitcase, backpack, handbag, whatever you can still access your USB sticks at USB 2.0 speeds from several feet away.

It would be a rather more complex/expensive solution than a usb hub in a box, but itsmore satisfying, neater and more versatile :)

A wireless extension allows a clean break between the games console guys and the umpc crowd (even for the people where those overlap!)

you want fun connectors? Buy the addon wireless port expander, and carry it in your backpack...

My point was. If you have a bag to put the wusb hub into, wouldn't the pandora go into it too. But if you don't have a bag. It's a good idea though, so basically a mifi hot spot with wusb for the pandora. I would be rather expensive price of kit though. Andich larger than mifi hot spots available.

Back