Mobile Internet

For those concerned about mobile broadband costs some companies are already rolling out "free" mobile broadband - all it costs is your time to watch some adverts (and an up-front payment for the dongle&sim - UK users) - http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/IndexIpad

I've not used the service myself, but I presume that it will be rolled out everywhere if successful.

Probably not here though.

I'm still paying almost R400 for two Gb of data. :(

3rd world countries suck.

They suck I tell you.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Out of the blue: Hmm maybe open pandora can sell an additional 3g device which can be used for mobile internet and works via bluetooth or wlan?
Those are called phones.
I stick to the Pandora because of the open concept.

no Phone gives me that (at least no resonable one)...and since I go the pandora I`m convinced to never buy a standart-closed-mainstream-phone anymore.

therefore a USB / Internal and non-phone solution should be important. An OP featured dongle would ensure the compatibility

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be great to not need a phone anymore. As all I use my phone for is access to data and SMS. Which it looks like pandora 2 + an LTE dongle will replace, if of course you can turn the pandora 2 into a WIFI hotspot. Something to think about anyway.

Edit: or merely a mobile LTE hotspot when those are readily available for all carriers. Then you would just grab your LTE hotspot and your msging device of choice (whether you decide to bring your pandora 2 or your tablet wouldn't matter) and go. Hmm

How about a BT headset, a mifi (or similar), and voip-to-telephone software on your pandora?

Interesting for the 3 voice calls i make a year. I've been planning to move over to a data only plan for a while now. You don't get anything for paying for Voice and SMS with your phone carrier, both voice and SMS can be handled by apps over your data plan. My Ideal setup is a wifi hotspot with LTE speed that is tiny and has battery life comparable to a phone. (A guy can dream.) If the pandora2 had a SMS app (like Gtalk, or whatsapp.) This would be incredibly simple to do if pandora 2 natively runs android apps. But I'm not sure that's going to be the case.

If you guys are interessted, I am part of the open moko community. Doctor Schaller (Phd. in electronic science) living in Munich (not too far away from ED and GC) is building open source phones with beagle boards (like the pandora). This phone are real 3G phones with the same PCB as the current pandora (not ready for mass production I think and no gamin controlls, no advertisement here). This guy can surely help you, when you want to place 3G or 4G modems in the Pandora 2.

http://projects.gold...m/p/gta04-main/

The blue tooth headset idea is great :) . But most people use text messages or facebook or whatsapp anyway today.

something that could fit most USB dongles would be nice...

'grats on your first post :)

thanks! i'm so proud! :)

an universal expansion-option would be cool.

maybe some compartment that could hold different usb-stick sizes, clickable 'under' the case.

thanks! i'm so proud! :)

an universal expansion-option would be cool.

maybe some compartment that could hold different usb-stick sizes, clickable 'under' the case.

I was thinking about this the other day.

The bottom of the p2 could have a USB port. And an expansion pack with a bunch of USB goodies could be attached to the bottom. Probably adding about 10-12 mm of thickness to the device.

The expansion module could be as simple as a usb HUB that you open up and put usb sticks into, with support for any usb device that would fit.

Every time I've suggested some kind of way of connecting USB dongles while your pandora is in your pocket, I've been told that there is already one USB and that I should use that.

I think this entirely misses the point. :)

Having said that, where to put the extra USB ports is a bit of a puzzle <_<

I haven't had the time to read the whole thread, but in my experience 3G kills all battery life. On my android phone if I turn 3G off it can last twice to three times at long than keeping it with 3g on.

Plus, 3g is expensive (not only the chip but subscriptions, at least in Japan) and I have no interest to keep separate data plans between Pandora and phone... you can use your phone for tethering so 3g does not make sense at all for me.

I haven't had the time to read the whole thread, but in my experience 3G kills all battery life.

So does wifi. You can just switch it off.

Plus, 3g is expensive (not only the chip but subscriptions, at least in Japan) and I have no interest to keep separate data plans between Pandora and phone... you can use your phone for tethering so 3g does not make sense at all for me.

I would just use the pandora (and maybe a bluetooth headset). The pandora is superior for sms writing I think.

I found a solution to this problem that has been working fine for me going on a week.

http://www.internet-go.com/

The bad:

Their web page is cheesy.

Their hardware is only sold through Walmart's online system.

$45/GB sounds real expensive.

Speeds are Sprint's 3G

The good:

I was able to connect right up to it with my 1Ghz Wifi.

I can connect up to 5 devices.

I only use it for monitoring email and systems on the go - when there isn't a public hot spot. So, I estimate that 1GB should last me several months.

It may not be super fast - but it is faster than the WiFi in my 1Ghz Pandora - so any faster is irrelevant to my use.

It's pay as you go - so I buy 1 GB of data and don't pay another bill to them until it runs out.

I ordered the access point on Walmart's web site on a Friday afternoon and the device landed on my doorstep Saturday at 10AM.

Your experience and data volume needs may vary.

The bottom of the p2 could have a USB port. And an expansion pack with a bunch of USB goodies could be attached to the bottom. Probably adding about 10-12 mm of thickness to the device.

The expansion module could be as simple as a usb HUB that you open up and put usb sticks into, with support for any usb device that would fit.
What are you thinking? A thin circuitboard based USB connector going to a <=4x hub with a snap over casing protecting it? In that case why would you need to have a port on the bottom instead of using the appropriate USB port in the back?

What are you thinking? A thin circuitboard based USB connector going to a <=4x hub with a snap over casing protecting it? In that case why would you need to have a port on the bottom instead of using the appropriate USB port in the back?
I'm not really following what you mean.

Heres a quick sketch of how I see an expansion in my head
hrk4lx.jpg

You would be able to fit 3 usb dongles for whatever purpose inside the lower rectangle which would house a USB hub, it would also add more external USB ports for connecting peripherals. And it would "Slot In" to the bottom of the P2 and somehow snap into place. Making the P2 base a little thicker but expanding its capabilities when it came to USB (including storage, and 3g/4g etc.) When not in use the usb port on the bottom of the P2 would be covered by a rubber/plastic port protector of some kind.

metaltrim.png

One of my ideas from a while ago^

The problem with what you've described is that you use usb dongles while you're pandora is on the move/in your pocket

Back