Great Internet Special from 1&1 (Germany)

Askarus

Forum Addict!
Just a quick note for German users.

1&1 has a special offer right now: Link

SMS and Telephone Flat

8GB/Monat

42,2 Mbit/s

Once a Month 500 MB EU Roaming

-> 29€/Month

I'm seriously considering this, especially for the Pyra, as I want to use it for SMS and telephone as well.

8GB sound great to me and 42,2 Mbit is a lot faster than what I have in my flat right now....

No advertisement just a hint if one is looking for a good Internet flat :) .

Looks good. Be aware that 42 MBit/s means around 12 Mbit/s in real life in the best radio conditions.

12 Mbit is enough to stream two Netflix shows at HD simultaneously, so it's already well beyond what a lot of American ISPs can do with their 20+Mbit connection.

Of course, you'd burn through that 8GB pretty fast if that's what you were doing. :p

My phone has a 3 sim in it, with unlimited internet (3G only) for 12 quid a month.

D.

I've had the phone a couple of years now, so no - just browsed on over to their site and picked up their cheapest unlimited data deal.

D.

Unlimited is not so much of a problem in germany, all plans are unlimited here. Just speed goes down after you hit the mark. 

I ordered it.

As I can quit every months it should not be much of a risk if it's getting too expensive :)

I mostly use mine to tether my tablet (wifi 32gb Nexus 7 2nd gen) so I can watch movies on it. I suck down many, many GBs every month and 3 have never batted an eyelid :)

D.

I heard a rumour that they're cracking down on unlimited users who are tethering, although looking at their site it suggests that they're happy as long as you don't use more than 4GB a month.

I heard a rumour that they're cracking down on unlimited users who are tethering, although looking at their site it suggests that they're happy as long as you don't use more than 4GB a month.
The limit is optional, in some regions its unlimited high speed, but if you use it for a month or so and download a few gig (or in my case torrents  with a tb traffic) they will enable the limit for the whole region covered by that specific transmitter mast. At least thats what i got 2 years ago, a sudden breakdown from 700kB to 7 kB.   :(

What is it with this tethering? They cannot detect it anyway... so it does not exist for them. 

What is it with this tethering? They cannot detect it anyway... so it does not exist for them.
There are ways. The user agent of your browser, signatures indicating the type of traffic, different headers in the tcp packets, probably a bunch of other subtle things that I'm not thinking of.Basically, if they REALLY don't want you tethering, they'll find out if you are and slow you down or just cut you off.

There are ways. The user agent of your browser, signatures indicating the type of traffic, different headers in the tcp packets, probably a bunch of other subtle things that I'm not thinking of.
In theory this is a grave violation of law, so they cant just use that for that purpose. 

They read it anyway tho, after all that is the method used to detect which data is to be throttled after you volume is empty. 

If you manipulate the packets to look like their company site the throttle goes away for example. 

Lets rephrase it: They can detect it, but  they want you to transfer data anyway (as that is what they get money for), so why would they say "no" ? 

That user terms must have written by someone without knowledge of what they sell. 

Last edited by a moderator:
so why would they say "no" ?
If it's anything like many North American carriers it's because they want you to pay the $20 premium in order to allow tethering. It's basically free money, why would they not say "no"?
edit: yup, on the "Optionen und Erweiterungen" section it has a "Tablet- und Notebook-Flat" fee of 4.99 €/month. They want to prevent you from tethering so you will have to pay the 5€ extra in order to get tethering. It literally costs them nothing to allow tethering, that is just free money to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back