Mobile Internet

rohezal

Advanced Member
I think the pandora 2 should have mobile internet. For Facebook, Email, ICQ everywhere. Reading and writing sms would be very handy too, since its used a lot. I would be very cool to have one place where all your (mails, sms) messages concentrate, and a device which allows you to read / answer them anywhere, anytime.

So you have a real mobile (small, long battery lifetime and internet everywhere) laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would dramatically increase the cost to us and the headaches for the OP Team.

Everyone these days has a phone they carry with them and can be used as a modem... else people can buy a small usb dongle and use that with the P2.

Might take up too much space?

I'll drop this here anyways :)

metaltrim.png

That would dramatically increase the cost to us and the headaches for the OP Team.

This depends on the internet. 2 G is pretty cheap and is used in low cost china tablets. For real surfing its to slow, but for emails and for reading facebook messages / walls its just fine. But I would prefer 3 or 4G.

Everyone these days has a phone they carry with them and can be used as a modem... else people can buy a small usb dongle and use that with the P2.

Modem sounds legit but unformtable. The stick is possible but I am honest I own a caanoo and in my opinion the wlan stick is just horrible. I would love build in WLAN.

Think about the use cases. A small 10 hour laptop that fits into you pocket and can be used for facebook, sms, emails, icq and co. Stay connect, everywhere, anytime. This is something unique. Since a lot of people mostly write SMS, they would maybe even use this instead of a phone.

Edit: And you can actually use a keyboard. This is a big plus.

It would no longer be 10 hours with a built in always on modem. :)

But I agree, such a device is the stuff of dreams... Maybe P3?

... but then who knows what Craig has up his sleeves for the P2... o.o

I would definitly suppport mobile internet.

I don't own a smartphone and if my Pandora would have mobile internet it'd replace my phone.

I think we will be sticking to the USB 3/4G approach here, it's too much work to build it in to the unit, and as people have said your phone can already do this.

This depends on the internet. 2 G is pretty cheap and is used in low cost china tablets. For real surfing its to slow, but for emails and for reading facebook messages / walls its just fine. But I would prefer 3 or 4G.
It has nothing to do with speed or the cost of the physical device. Putting a cellular radio into a device has much stricter(and therefore significantly more expensive) regulations, requiring very specific testing, a lot of R&D, frequently a very expensive consultant and probably some lawyers. It is a lot of trouble to make a cell phone (even without the phone part) and cost prohibitive if your expecting sales fewer than hundreds of thousands at least.

Laws in China are less strict, or at least less enforced, so those cheap tablets by fly-by-night companies you see probably didn't go through the same process that a major manufacturer expecting to sell millions would.

I think we will be sticking to the USB 3/4G approach here, it's too much work to build it in to the unit, and as people have said your phone can already do this.

True but a phone has: no keyboards. And you dont have to carry two devices, if your main communication is whatsapp, ebuddy, facebook, twitter and co. Like someone said, its a dream device. But if the USB Dongles get smaller, you can use them too. Just in my opinion build in is nicer, I realy dont like the caanoo usb wlan stick.

It has nothing to do with speed or the cost of the physical device.

In germany the phone companys had to pay over 30 billions for UMTS licenses (3G). It was REALY expensive. But if I am honest if dont know I you have to pay additional money to build an 3G chip instead of an 2G chip. This would be interessting to know.

You can tether/pair, via Bluetooth, your Pandora and phone together and use phone as a wireless 3G modem.

You still need to carry both the phone and the Pandora but the phone just stays in your pocket while surfing, texting etc.

This might give you want you want and might be what previous posters meant by "just use your phone"

I use BT tethering almost daily. It's a bit slow for surfing (As far as I know BT isn't very fast), but IM and email work pretty well. I haven't noticed a big impact on battery life.

I'm in for an internal 3G/EDGE/HDSPA/... Module - this is somewhat standard nowadays. I can't theter with "my" phone as it is company owned and thus thetering is deactivated

I am against this. I have no need for a mobile phone and data plans are overpriced anyway. I would not like to see an increased price and loss of battery life for functionality I don't need. Tether it, buy a 3/4G stick or get a smartphone.

I am against this. I have no need for a mobile phone and data plans are overpriced anyway. I would not like to see an increased price and loss of battery life for functionality I don't need. Tether it, buy a 3/4G stick or get a smartphone.
well, I don't want a phone either and

data plans will surely get cheaper. Price inrease is an argument, but is loss of battery life also one? If it can be switched of like wifi/bluetooth the loss would be minimal.

I can't tether, don't want someting hanging or sticking out, and sure as hell won't buy a smartphone while I already have one

Out of the blue: Hmm maybe open pandora can sell an additional 3g device which can be used for mobile internet and works via bluetooth or wlan?

Price, space and regulation are the more significant issues.
totally forgot about regulation => much more hassle to get the device certified.

Too bad - sometimes (especially in foreign countries) it really helps to have internet access readily available

Back