MNT Reform - hackable, modular laptop

i might make a dedicated table with a hole in it for the deeper case; just slot it in so it's less un-ergonomic ;).

i also wouldn't mind a nano-itx or even other bigger mini-desktop-like motherboard, except for the non-passive cooling. because of that, i don't mind that it's not as powerful.

you definitely pay a premium for a niche-made device, with open-source certifications. i'm tempted to get the DIY version to have a project to put together "with" my kid. i might feel more comfortable making another even more DIY computer a few years down the line then :).

i also don't think the keyboard layout is bad at all. looks pretty standard QWERTY (for EN-US), but with some extra keys that are needed for german compatibility, but are given some reasonable defaults. being able to re-map them makes everything pretty cool --

1588974588051.png

Last edited:
It's probably that fat because of the keyswitches they're using, but it certainly it a beefy unit, that's for sure. I don't know why all these laptops use the same CPU model, other than it's relatively light on power, I guess it you wanted more and didn't care for a mech keyboard you could go for a pinebook pro or indeed any mainstream laptop with an intel chip.

i think it's mostly for ease of putting it together, plus some of the unique parts. there's the MoBo, but also cylindrical cells down in there, plus the trackball. i'd prefer it be wedge-shaped (smaller closer to the belly), but you'd have to move the trackball up. i'd go for a split keyboard design, with the trackball in between the two halves (and increasing the screen size). one day i'll make the computer i want. it will probably also be the computer i deserve :D

1589077008187.png

They're still using 18650s in that thing? That's refreshingly retro, I guess. And I've no idea how much of an iceberg that trackpad is, although I can imagine it might have traditional automotive spades for connections, like old arcade buttons.

Looks like a good idea. Tempting.
I don't understand what they say about blobs though.

The comparison table in Crowdsupply says that MNT Reform needs a blob for DDR4 init.
I don't know about IMX8, but IMX6 didn't need it (no DDR4) and RockPro64 also doesn't need blobs
(I think it uses blobs in most images, but you can compile your ARM Trusted Firmware without hdcp.bin
and let a 3-stage uboot init the LPDDR4).

Hence I thought the PineBook Pro could also boot blobless (whatever the vendor ships). But the
comparison table list it as requiring blobs. Oh, found it, seems to need a blob for eDP, Curious that it is
the opposite problem. RockPro64 has HDMI working without blobs, but PineBook Pro with the same
SOC has no HDMI port and needs blobs for eDP. MNT Reform needs blobs for the HDMI port but not for eDP
(because they added a Texas Instruments SN65DSI86 to convert MIPI DSI to eDP).

PineBook is also listed in Crowdsupply without a SD card slot, but I think it
has it and I think it can take a PCIe NVMe

There's also free DDR4 init in Raptor Computing Systems Power9 computers (different memory controllers,
it's the absolute contrary to just copy and paste, I hear it's very difficult to program RAM init), and Freescale had a good blobless track record...

I also wonder how come the case is alluminum and they offer a Wifi option. I thought it would interfere (the case shielding the atenna like a Faraday cage)?
There are allumnium laptops with wifi, so I guess there must be solutions, but I thought (from comments here ? ) that it wasn't easy.

I also wonder how come the case is alluminum and they offer a Wifi option. I thought it would interfere (the case shielding the atenna like a Faraday cage)?
There are allumnium laptops with wifi, so I guess there must be solutions, but I thought (from comments here ? ) that it wasn't easy.
I have an aluminum laptop that I've taken apart for repairs. In the case of mine the corners by the hinges have gaps in the aluminium covered with plastic inserts where the antennae are.

Back