MIPI woes, good design ideas and headaches

Are these available as symbols in any font as well?
As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure they are since they are in ISO 8859-1.

Most people in Germany have no idea what "Spade" and "Club" is, since when playing cards you always use the localized names (which would be "Pik" and "Kreuz" in this case, which sounds totally different).
I'm not sure that's a good example. With the amount of English classes the standard German is now required to take, I find it hard to believe that playing cards and their suits are never taught. (Especially since when I was over there ~8 years ago, the Germans who were beating me in Hearts knew the English terms for Spade and Club)

EDIT:

@Klumpen: That was the same as the GP2X layout.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Whose Idea was

Y

A      B

X

anyway?
I believe that was GamePark Holdings when they released the GP32GP2x.

The reason for using that and not the SNES or XBox configuration is because those are trademarked and can't legally be used.

That's why I suggested the playing card versions. The suits of a standard deck are widely known.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Spade, Heart, Club, Diamond, Black, Red is the best non-alphabetic option.
Are these available as symbols in any font as well?

Most people in Germany have no idea what "Spade" and "Club" is, since when playing cards you always use the localized names (which would be "Pik" and "Kreuz" in this case, which sounds totally different).

It's probably the same for other countries as well.

Many will recognize the symbols, but won't know what they're called in English.
I don't know right now which symbol "Pik" is. I know it's one of those four types of cards and I know that I (though also speaking an alemanic dialect) would call it something else. Hmm. But I'm not much of a card game person. Should be Härz, Egge, Chrüz and... ah, Schufle. Yes, Schufle is Pik. And what again was this in English? :)

I'm not sure that's a good example. With the amount of English classes the standard German is now required to take, I find it hard to believe that playing cards and their suits are never taught. (Especially since when I was over there ~8 years ago, the Germans who were beating me in Hearts knew the English terms for Spade and Club)
Probably because they were pros at this game. I don't know the english terms, "Spade" and "Club" are completely new to me in this regard, I only know the German terms and "Hearts", because it's the same here.

What is "Spade" and what is "Club"? I only know these terms for beating someone and burying him afterwards. ;)

@Klumpen: That was the same as the GP2X layout.
Ok, bad decision.

The only buttons that never get confused are L(eft) and R(right) shoulder buttons, because this actually makes sense!

I don't know right now which symbol "Pik" is. I know it's one of those four types of cards and I know that I (though also speaking an alemanic dialect) would call it something else. Hmm. But I'm not much of a card game person. Should be Härz, Egge, Chrüz and... ah, Schufle. Yes, Schufle is Pik. And what again was this in English? :)
There are as many (if not more) differences as in keyboard layout (QWERTZ vs. QWERTZ vs. AZERTY etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_card#Current

Chess pieces or playing cards (Schoppen, Harten, Ruiten/Koeken, Klaveren in my language by the way) are too much "specialized" symbols in my opinion. I prefer something more generic, like letters, numbers or abstract geometric symbols like on the Playstation.

Greek letters should be included in most fonts, since you need many of them for mathematics (Sigma for sum, Pi for product, etc).

And what again was this in English? :)
 Spade...

Probably because they were pros at this game. I don't know the english terms, "Spade" and "Club" are completely new to me in this regard, I only know the German terms and "Hearts", because it's the same here.
 They were the German equivalent of High School. (Gymnasium is the term, I believe? Might not be spelled that way, tho')

Chess pieces or playing cards (Schoppen, Harten, Ruiten/Koeken, Klaveren in my language by the way) are too much "specialized" symbols in my opinion. I prefer something more generic, like letters, numbers or abstract geometric symbols like on the Playstation.

Greek letters should be included in most fonts, since you need many of them for mathematics (Sigma for sum, Pi for product, etc).
Honestly, I don't see how you can call playing cards too specialized. The 4 suits in a standard playing card deck are probably more widely recognized around the world than Greek letters are. And regardless of whether they have different names in different languages, at least most everyone knows a name for it. I can tell you right now that there are plenty of people who would not be able to come up for a name for symbols like chi.

-God Ginrai

Honestly, I don't see how you can call playing cards too specialized. The 4 suits in a standard playing card deck are probably more widely recognized around the world than Greek letters are. And regardless of whether they have different names in different languages, at least most everyone knows a name for it. I can tell you right now that there are plenty of people who would not be able to come up for a name for symbols like chi.

-God Ginrai
They are too specialized in the sense that the Pyra is not a device to play card games, which could be the first impression people get when they see such buttons.

The only logical progression is

C

Y   Z

A   B

X
Indeed

hqdefault.jpg

-God Ginrai
They are too specialized in the sense that the Pyra is not a device to play card games, which could be the first impression people get when they see such buttons.
So if it has Greek letters, then the Pyra would be a calculator? That's a bullshit reason and you know it. The only thing that matters for button labels are that they must be easily recognized and easily communicated to other people. Playing card suits (+ the colors black and red) meet both of those requirements.

-God Ginrai

Ok, bad decision.
What should they have done?
      N    X1

W       E   X2

S

North, South, West, East, Xtra1, Xtra2

Recognizable, easy to translate to other console layouts, easy to type

and no more blind guessing! This should have been standard decades ago.

You do not even have to look at the pad to know what to press this way and can keep focused on the screen.
I am still confused with Pandoras controls because I grew up with SNES and when it tells me to press "X" I want to press the north button and when it wants me to press "B" I want to press the south button etc...

I have to look at the controls too often because of this and since they are black, I cannot read it fast enough if at all (not in a bright room).

Ok, I will attempt to interpret.

You believe that GamePark Holdings, when it created the GP2X, should have forgone all semblance of continuity and attempts at standardization (remembering that the GP32 that came before it used A and B) but using N, W, E, and S?

Yeah but those two things will be the case no matter what the buttons are called. Unless we want to put little displays in the buttons and have the labels change with the program, and please no one seriously suggest that.
This.

Whose Idea was

Y

A  B

X

anyway?

The reason for using that and not the SNES or XBox configuration is because those are trademarked and can't legally be used.
That can't be true or at the very least still can't be true. A lot of gamepads have that

set up.

Ideally, it should be like this.

Z

Y      C

X     B

A

The only logical progression is

C

Y   Z

A   B

X
This or maybe even the dice style. Everything else here is ridiculous.

NES:

B   A

SNES and Wii:

X

Y    A

B

Megadrive:

X Y Z

A B C

PSX:

Tri

Box         Sq

X

N64:

CU

CL      CR

B     CD

A

Dreamcast and X-Box:

Y

X      B

A

GameCube:

Y

A  X

B

OpenPandora:

Y

A    B

X

Now tell me again about "the standard"...

Whose Idea was

Y
A  B
  X

anyway?
That can't be true or at the very least still can't be true. A lot of gamepads have that
set up.
Show me one.

Back