MIPI, Keymats, Batteries and Memory

ED already made it pretty clear that the dimensions of the Pyra are going to be very close to those of the Pandora. Even the X dimension, which does not influence the pocketability cross-section, is going to stay the same or at most 1-2mm bigger. Perhaps the thickness of the base might slightly increase to the extent that it can be compensated with a thinner lid. The total width, height and depth of the Pyra will most likely all be very close to those of the Pandora.

ED already made it pretty clear that the dimensions of the Pyra are going to be very close to those of the Pandora. Even the X dimension, which does not influence the pocketability cross-section, is going to stay the same or at most 1-2mm bigger. Perhaps the thickness of the base might slightly increase to the extent that it can be compensated with a thinner lid. The total width, height and depth of the Pyra will most likely all be very close to those of the Pandora.
As said, Ed and Gta04 are the ones who know, and both have already experience in designing similiar hardware- which I don't (well a little pcb design, but nothing comparable) > Lets just say I will believe it after there are comparison pictures (Pandora vs. Pyra). I'm still a tad worried about the weight though.

Even if the base increased by 1mm, (probably less going by ED's comments to nothing), I'd still have zero problems with that.   A 6000mAh makes sense to me, IMO - I say go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything besides the battery and heatsink that would be heavier than in the Pandora? The case would be similar or lighter, the screen probably lighter, the keymat maybe thinner/lighter, ...

Does someone have a weight breakup of the Pandora components?

I still rather have ~8000mAh.
Me too, bur don't forget we can't increase the size infinite.

Increasing the battery by the factor 1.5 is already a big advantage, especially if you're doing light tasks.

Increasing the battery by the factor 1.5 is already a big advantage, especially if you're doing light tasks.
I know, but I don't think it adds that much to the size, especially when the lid is smaller.

I know, but I don't think it adds that much to the size, especially when the lid is smaller.
And maybe that little bit is already too much.

As I said, I don't care about the size a lot but many others do.

Okay, I didn't understand at all. I meant if 4200 is chosen, there will be a thinner case than 6000.

6000 would be bigger and if you want to add battery life you should carry another 6000 battery or 4200+frame which are too much for pockets.
Yes, 4200 would make a thinner case. Yes, 6000 would be thicker than 4200.
6000 as the default battery, doesn't mean you can't oped out for 4200+smaller frame/case/cover.

Edit: Under the assumption that the whole bottom comes off.
There will be a frame so 4200 with frame will be 6000's width.

4200 is better than 6000 to me, even if I wanted the largest battery, but under 8000 is worse than 4200. Maybe make it 4200 with two lid: one for 4200 and 1 for 6000 would be a solution.

ED says he thinks it can be done without increasing the volume of the unit at all.
ED said that it can be done with 8400 mah, that's why I think we should go for 8000 mah.

I'm still a tad worried about the weight though.
 That's the only concern I would have about a bigger battery.

ED says he thinks it can be done without increasing the volume of the unit at all.
 ED said that it can be done with 8400 mah, that's why I think we should go for 8000 mah.
ED said the 6000mah battery would not increase the volume, not an 8400mah battery.

-God Ginrai

Great news about the battery :) , thanks for the weekly post, looking forward to the future posts.

Cant wait to order a Pyra :)

ED said the 6000mah battery would not increase the volume, not an 8400mah battery.
Just here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15632-soc-poll-whats-most-important-for-you/?p=314615

EvilDragon said:

If we can make the battery cover thinner with more robust plastic and make the lid thinner (the LCD is thinner than before), we could be able to double the thickness of the battery which should be double the battery time.

Though I think that 6000maH is pretty enough it might be feasible to offer an extension battery later: double height with a slightly modified battery lid which then is the new bottom of the case. That way all who can't get enough battery time can go with a slightly bulkier Pyra whilst all others get the slimmer version.

Just here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15632-soc-poll-whats-most-important-for-you/?p=314615

EvilDragon said:

If we can make the battery cover thinner with more robust plastic and make the lid thinner (the LCD is thinner than before), we could be able to double the thickness of the battery which should be double the battery time.
Operative word: could.

Also, your selective quoting conveniently left out the part where EvilDragon confirmed he had not confirmed this to be true yet:

Something we need to check, but I can't say anything about that yet.
-God Ginrai

Also, your selective quoting conveniently left out the part where EvilDragon confirmed he had not confirmed this to be true yet:
I just take the part interests me, but I put the link, so that you could look it all as a big boy.

And so what? He don't say that it can't be done. He don't say that 6000mah is chosen because more would make the case thicker.

So 8400mah is still possible without increasing till he say that it's impossible.

And so what? He don't say that it can't be done. He don't say that 6000mah is chosen because more would make the case thicker.

So 8400mah is still possible without increasing till he say that it's impossible.
Are you seriously going to try to make that argument? You point out that he didn't say it can't be done, but I can easily turn it around and point out that he didn't say it can.

EvilDragon's only concerns with the batteries have been increasing the size of the case and making a battery that doesn't fit the Pandora. If EvilDragon could have a higher capacity than 6000mah battery that doesn't increase the volume of the case, EvilDragon would be all over it.

-God Ginrai

Are you seriously going to try to make that argument? You point out that he didn't say it can't be done, but I can easily turn it around and point out that he didn't say it can.

EvilDragon's only concerns with the batteries have been increasing the size of the case and making a battery that doesn't fit the Pandora. If EvilDragon could have a higher capacity than 6000mah battery that doesn't increase the volume of the case, EvilDragon would be all over it.
All I see is blablabla and bold letters. ED said that it can (or could if you want) be done, so till he say the contrary it can be done to me. That's why I wrote on this topic to point that 8000mah would be better.

All I see is blablabla and bold letters. ED said that it can (or could if you want) be done, so till he say the contrary it can be done to me. That's why I wrote on this topic to point that 8000mah would be better.
And he's saying now that 6000 mAh is what he thinks will work given the constraints. This is what he found after looking into it more. You shouldn't make the older comments take precedence over the newer ones just because you like them more.

I don't understand your point of view anyway, you're saying you like 6000mAh less than 4200mAh because it could be 8000mAh? Why would you prefer something smaller and something larger at the same time?

Back