Microsoft XBOX ONE

Only that project Illumiroom is likely to sway me
Catch is, it needs a projector - and if you get a projector, you can fill the wall with the game image anyway - all of it play area!

The illumiroom idea is using a projector as a supplement to a HDTV, that's quite an expensive and complex layout for what is presumed to be someone's living room!

Catch is, it needs a projector - and if you get a projector, you can fill the wall with the game image anyway - all of it play area!

The illumiroom idea is using a projector as a supplement to a HDTV, that's quite an expensive and complex layout for what is presumed to be someone's living room!
Yep. Full-HD beamers are not as expensive as they used to be and I would always prefer them over this Illumiroom stuff.

I am happy with my bright 720p-beamer though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw the demo for that thing, and I was like WTF? Isn't this just like a projector TV from the 80's? Just built to work along side your HDTV. I thought it looked very annoying and added nothing to the gaming experience except for a HUGE distraction. Not for me at all.

Chris

I swear by projectors as my main TV and I can say with absolute certainty that no one in their right mind is going to want to do that kind of setup once they find out the cost and work involved. If you've got a projector, just use it and get the big screen, ditch the TV in the middle, and clear the junk from your wall. The FOV on most consumer projectors isn't nearly wide enough to do the kind of thing they were demoing anyway, unless it's mounted 20 feet from the wall it is projected onto. The setup is impractical and a complete waste of resources: do not let it sway you, you will be disappointed.

Yeah I guess that's all true... if got big enough room why not go pure large image on a full wall.

I've not got that large a room myself, with the illumiroom I quite liked the side effects, like the rumble earthquake effect on your bookcases or whatever furniture you have beside your telly... looked pretty cool, but I agree the additional cost in setting that type of rig with whatever their projector is going to retail at is probably beyond what I would consider paying anyway.

Buying BioShock now :)

I have a DLP projector setup with a 120" screen in my basement as my primary gaming / video watching setup. Between the sound system, projector and ceiling mount it was about $1600 US.. I have the room for it and I figure it's worth it.

On the topic of MS wanting to muscle in on second-hand sales, some good reading getting noticed widely:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/one-gamer-s-impassioned-plea-to-protect-pre-owned/0116238

The post in question:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=59545309&postcount=1361

(click 'Thread' button at top right for full thread)

“So forgive me if I find myself not caring one bit when the industry complains that it's just so hard to sell six million copies of Gears of Medal of Battle of Uncharted Angry Dudes VII in the first week and that's why they need to take away used sales for the entire platform. No, the problem isn't at this end.”
Another poster the OP links to, weighs in:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=58841589#post58841589

The first (presumably of many to come) Government interest in the system's implications:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/german-data-protection-commissioner-has-privacy-concerns-with-xbox-one/0116209

"The 5 biggest problems with the Xbox One" kinect.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/05/27/the-five-biggest-problems-with-the-xbox-one/

In the end the PS4 could have the exact same issues, I have heard rumors of the same policies on used games for the PS4.  Who knows though, you wont really know until they are both closer to launch. They still need to make it clear on their intentions which they may not do until absorbing all feedback.

We’re a leader in the world of privacy, I think you’ll find.
Banks are the leaders of keeping your money safe, and they still manage to futz it up regularly. Just because you're good (or even the best) at something doesn't mean that you're infallible, and when it comes to this type of personal information simply asking for trust because you're a "leader" doesn't instil any confidence.Banks have insurance, they futz up and lose my money I'm out the time required to yell at people until the money gets put back: money is fungible, their mistake ultimately doesn't really cost me anything but annoyance. If Microsoft has a security breach and personally identifiable information is leaked, that isn't fungible: they can't just give me back some different information and all is well, that information is out there forever. I'm (not at all) surprised that Microsoft doesn't seem to understand the concerns people are having.

In the end the PS4 could have the exact same issues, I have heard rumors of the same policies on used games for the PS4.  Who knows though, you wont really know until they are both closer to launch. They still need to make it clear on there intentions which they may not do until absorbing all feedback.
Exactly what I said earlier. Those who think PS4 will be the savior may/will be sorely disappointed. I expect both corporations to have very similar policies. I doubt Microsoft would go alone in this field, and seriously it's obvious that the different players are talking to each other. When you only have 3 major companies left, there is always some kind of exchange of information or strategy, or "intelligence" gathering. They all know very well what they are doing, and it's not surprising that the XboxOne and the PS4 probably share a common hardware platform for all we know. 

We’re a leader in the world of privacy, I think you’ll find.
(...) I'm (not at all) surprised that Microsoft doesn't seem to understand the concerns people are having.
I think they do, they just don't wan't to draw any attention to something they'd rather we didn't concern ourselves with.

FLASHBACK! 2010, investor meeting discussing Kinect's potential:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/microsoft-exec-caught-in-privacy-snafu-says-kinect-might-tailor/

Microsoft's Dennis Durkin voiced an interesting idea at an investment summit last week -- the idea that the company's Kinect camera might pass data to advertisers about the way you look, play and speak.

Interesting, the Xbox One new Kinect sensor will be assessing your fear levels...

Feeding on your fear:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21829195.900-latest-kinect-sensors-allow-games-to-feed-off-your-fear.html

It will have HD colour and infrared cameras that can see if your eyes are open or closed in the dark. It will be able to detect your pulse from fluctuations in skin tone and, by measuring how light reflects off your face, it will know when you start to sweat.

This will allow the new Kinect to bring emotional gaming to your living room. Games can use the biological data to orchestrate your experience by adjusting the difficulty or intensity in real time, depending on how excited the system thinks you currently are.

See, those are, in theory, cool ideas. If I want to play a scary game and the console can tailor it to make it the right level of scary to keep me on the edge of my seat then I say bring it on: that level of interaction could be the paradigm shift the gaming industry needs. But when I'm done with that game I want to just be left alone, and I certainly don't want the information being used to make the game scarier leaving my house in any personally identifiable way (which would be impossible to anonymize).

What if you've just eaten a curry or other spicy food or had a hot drink? Will Kinect think you're bricking it and tone down the game? Eg while playing Sonic will it tell the program to reduce the number of enemies to zero and flatten out the landscape so you're not too scared? Will it then reduce the game to totally pointless then?

:wacko:   :blink:   :(

Skynet will be pleased with this.

Everything has a good side:

More people will buy Humble Bundles and go to gog.com in this future,

because everyone has a modern enough PC and many of them are already attached to a TV-Screen

and you will not be criminalized (DRM), watched, or analyzed (heart rate? night vision? wtf did I just read?)

- the games are better too.

It's got the potential to be a 'lie detector' of sorts. Imagine the sort of things it could get up to while you make a skype call. Cloud voice stress analysis and invisible eye, heart-rate and perspiration analysis!

Good thing is:

It will send you to a doctor imediately or call an ambulance on incoming heartattack ;)

Back