Microsoft XBOX ONE

Tinfoil hats ahoy!

http://i.imgur.com/5WXh32l.jpg

But the best thing about this? It comes from over on the seething cauldron that is the official Xbox forum at the moment:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/3817/t/1367175.aspx

Oh to be a fly on the wall over at MS ;)

EDIT:

The advertisers are salivating, or being advised to:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/willburns/2013/05/27/how-xbox-one-will-change-advertising-forever/?partner=yahootix

Assuming we can (get) past the privacy issues that some of these ideas will raise, this is going to be big. The time is now for all of us in marketing and advertising to start planning for this exciting interactive sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how Wii U sales jumped 875% on Amazon following the Xbox One announcement.  Looks like there were a lot of wait and see people.

Ive wondered if there was a specific feature that sony was keeping secret by not showing the actual ps4 itself.

Maybe im wrong. just guessing.

I hope the kinect finally delivers on its potential.

Ryse' by crysis could be a cool game if it works well.

I wonder if we will hear more of the Steam Box at E3,  that seems to have gone very quite. Just talk of VR perhaps being a focus.

I like how Wii U sales jumped 875% on Amazon following the Xbox One announcement.  Looks like there were a lot of wait and see people.
Not sure what convinced them the WiiU was a better idea, though. There's no games for the system, and not much developer support. Unless you like the play Zelda 36 and Mario 125. 

I wonder if we will hear more of the Steam Box at E3,  that seems to have gone very quite. Just talk of VR perhaps being a focus.
There's no cheap tech ready for VR. Nobody will launch something expensive to buy when the worldwide economy is on the verge of a major crisis (which it is). You'll want cheap products. So my guess is that the Steambox would have probably similar specs to the PS4 and XboxOne, so that publishers can port games on all formats at once. 

^ The expensive bit is the headset. The Rift is set to retail at under $300 - get it down to $200 or less in partnership with Valve and it's game on - just add a PC parts based console for $300 say.  Or it could be subsidized by Valve and paid for with game revenue share (Like SONY with the Vita).

Valve have had a VR team working for a long while now on VR , they also recently dismissed their AR team to focus solely on VR. They have also recently had staff members join the Oculus Rift team.  One of their core tech guys blogs consistenly on VR.  Gabe is always talking about a new gaming input for the Steam Box.

Something is up,  when you think about it , what other angle could a Linux driven console built with standard off the shelf  PC parts give, that would be compelling to devs and gamers.  

Not sure what convinced them the WiiU was a better idea, though. There's no games for the system, and not much developer support. Unless you like the play Zelda 36 and Mario 125. 
It was rumored that there was a sale as well, so these numbers may not be entirely from the Xbox reveal. But to answer the question specifically(at least from my point of view), I still wouldn't buy a WiiU today, due to the lack of games, but I would definitely consider buying one before the PS4/One. Both of those system will be facing the same dismal first year that the WiiU faced, and now Nintendo has a 1 year head start on game production. 

I've played some great games across all platforms from this last gen, but the Mario Galaxy games are two of the best games I have ever played(in my entire life), and truly shows why Nintendo is in a league of their own when it comes to game production. Their not always perfect, and several games should be laid to rest(or at least a major overhaul is needed), but when they do what they do best, "Nobody Does It Better". 

So yeah, "Zelda 36 and Mario 125" are enough for most, myself included. That has been the one constant over the last 30 years of video gaming. I have no idea what Sony or MS may or may not do, but I know Nintendo will deliver a kick ass Zelda and Mario game in coming years, along with other unique titles.

So even though I didn't want a WiiU when it launched, or now for that matter, I know I'll get one at some point(hopefully once a price drop comes and some games arrive). I have no idea if I will get a PS4/One at a later date, or if I even want them.

I'm sure many where on the fence, and once they saw the One reveal, they could look at what PS4/One/WiiU had to offer, and I guess the WiiU was looking a lot better once everything was said and done. If I had to choose today, I would go with the WiiU as well, but that's only if I had to choose.

Chris

im in very similar shoes. dont have a wiiu at the moment, but i know i will get one someday. when zelda 36 is released, that would be the final straw for me to get one, but im sure some game will get me to buy it before. its just that after buying a 3DS on launch, with no games available for it, and by the time some came out, a much more desired 3DS XL was released, and i lost out only due to wanting one on launch, and didnt want to make that mistake with the WiiU

Not quite accurate, but funny just the same:

9i6LzvG.jpg

Perhaps spikes in sales like this 875% from one major retailer could get more interest in terms of developer support?

...here's hoping anyway.

Xbox One is not on my radar.

PS4 I would probably upgrade to, selling my PS3 and all its games/Move/stuff...

Currently using my Wii U though only, not played PS3 for a couple months nearly now.

Not played too much Wii U though for few weeks due to other commitments in the form of nappy changing and other fun stuffs :)

On a slightly off topic...

Got a voucher to spend today, deciding whether to get:

Tekken Tag 2 on Wii U

Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U

Bioshock Infinate on PS3

God Of War Ascension on PS3

or

Devil May Cry on PS3

Obvious choice is Bioshock eh, and hook up the PS3 again for a bit?

Well I pointed a friend in the direction of this discussion and he got put off getting One... This was after being fired up about ir originally... seriously MS have messed up with used games and advertising abuse... I hope it tanks.

@FZERO

Yeah, I would say Bioshock Infinite is the best choice of the bunch for sure. I actually just finished it a few days ago, and it was pretty good. It wasn't the "second coming" as most of the gaming industry would have you believe, but it was a solid follow up to the original.

Chris

MS One has taken record breaking pre orders at Blockbuster retailers

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-breaks-pre-order-records-at-blockbuster/0116237

Seems a lot of people are still mustard to get this.

@FZERO

Yeah, I would say Bioshock Infinite is the best choice of the bunch for sure. I actually just finished it a few days ago, and it was pretty good. It wasn't the "second coming" as most of the gaming industry would have you believe, but it was a solid follow up to the original.

Chris
...I just went to click the 'reserve' button and see under the recommended games was 'Metro Last Light'.

Now I can't decide which of these 2 to pick up, both look awesome shooters, though thinking the Bioshock might be offering more in terms of something 'different' from the usual FPS action. Metro looks gorgeous though in the trailer I seen

^ In other news Blockbuster is still in business.

Sad to say but a lot of people pre-order to then try and sell on and make a profit if there is a hardware shortage.

^ In other news Blockbuster is still in business.
I knew they where still online, but I can imagine they have any retail stores left. Every brick and mortar in my city that I knew of have closed down long ago. 

Sad to say but a lot of people pre-order to then try and sell on and make a profit if there is a hardware shortage.
To my knowledge, no place was even taking preorders, so I'm sure they may have been the only ones, which would explain the HUGE numbers they are talking about. These might be good for a decent flip, especially if MS has the same low qty they did as the 360 launch, but after WiiU last Christmas, I can't expect many to think this is a good idea, but who knows?

MS One has taken record breaking pre orders at Blockbuster retailers

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-breaks-pre-order-records-at-blockbuster/0116237

Seems a lot of people are still mustard to get this.

@FZERO

Chris
...I just went to click the 'reserve' button and see under the recommended games was 'Metro Last Light'.

Now I can't decide which of these 2 to pick up, both look awesome shooters, though thinking the Bioshock might be offering more in terms of something 'different' from the usual FPS action. Metro looks gorgeous though in the trailer I seen
I'm not familiar with Metro Last Light, but it looks cool and got decent reviews, but I would still say BI is the best choice of those available to you. It was better than the original in a lot of ways, but then worse in others.

Chris

Back