Microsoft XBOX ONE

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-is-called-xbox-one-509069410

microsoft-xbox-one-210513.jpg

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-is-called-xbox-one-509069410

Last edited by a moderator:
i had 4 different xbox's since it's inception.

I kept getting the infamous RROD!! Many others did too of course.

Finally they seemed to have gotten it right with the slim model. I feel the Kinect is a disaster; wasted technology.

I do not know if i would ever purchase another xbox console again.

Three RROD's and on my 4th XBOX (slim now). However, gaming on the Xbox 360 has been great and, in my opinion, better than gaming on PS3 simply because of Xbox Live.

Hopefully Microsoft's next console doesn't go Nintendo's "casual" route concerning controls.

Finally they seemed to have gotten it right with the slim model. I feel the Kinect is a disaster; wasted technology.

As a Kinect owner, I disagree. I do think that they're not doing nearly enough with it, and I suspect that it's successor is coming up fast, but hey, it works, it does have some good titles, and I'm quite happy with it.

Also, I'm ignoring most of the news about the new Xbox 'till something real surfaces.

As a Kinect owner, I disagree. I do think that they're not doing nearly enough with it, and I suspect that it's successor is coming up fast, but hey, it works, it does have some good titles, and I'm quite happy with it.

Also, I'm ignoring most of the news about the new Xbox 'till something real surfaces.

How do you envision the future of kinect games? I understand there are a number of users on Xbox/Wii/PS3 that enjoy motion-like controls, but I do not really see the draw because I really like tactile controls. I also own a Wii, but became interested because of Monster Hunter Tri and the virtual console.

When I think about pushing the kinect's limits, I typically think making an ultra precise dance game or exercise "game". I've also seen some cool hacks, but seem more like novelties. What do you think will establish the kinect enough to create a kinect 2, or a kinect integrated with the next Xbox?

I'm pretty sure it'll be integrated with the next Xbox, as far as at current goes, I'd like to see games that use the controller and the Kinect at the same time. That'd be pretty awesome.

I'm pretty sure it'll be integrated with the next Xbox, as far as at current goes, I'd like to see games that use the controller and the Kinect at the same time. That'd be pretty awesome.

That would be interesting, but you'd lose the ability to use your arms with the kinect because you would have to hold onto your controller. Maybe ducking and jumping in a FPS? That seems tedious to me, though.

I almost think it would behoove Microsoft not to integrate the next kinect (if there is one) into the next Xbox. This might help drive the cost down to make it affordable, and I'm sure those who enjoyed the first kinect would take a plunge for the next iteration.

I hate motion gaming, because after a hard days work I just want to sit in front of a TV and pick-up a controller (+ beer) & play (hardly moving).

And the fact that Microsoft are allowing homebrew devs to make their own open drivers for the device is pretty shocking. I think there's infinitely more possibilities in that direction than what any kind of game could provide.

I'm still waiting for a sandbox fps where the character you play as behaves exactly has you move (wipe your scope, play with the safety buttons, run out of ammo and just chuck your 9mm in the other dude's face, examine spent cases... that'd be pretty cool.

And the fact that Microsoft are allowing homebrew devs to make their own open drivers for the device is pretty shocking.
To my knowledge Microsoft has no control over the Kinetic's IP as they didn't develop it, and hence it is not their right to allow or disallow anything of the sort. Asus has already arranged an agreement to bring a Kinetic device specifically designed for PC to market, based on their relations with the company that developed it. Indeed the Asus version is supposed to be hitting the market this quarter.

Microsoft also is not Apple. They don't simply patent troll on general principle, and their preferred tendencies deviate more towards burying you through mostly legitimate iterative competition. Linux vexes their normal tactics as it takes iterative development further then they really can get away with, and being free short circuits their textbook FUD tricks while also offering the entity using it more control. That is why ultimately they will most likely lose, although the loss may not really be a victory in the end result. Things are... complicated like that.

I've been seeing some reports here regarding M$'s new console and how M$ are planning to steal the thunder away from Nintendo at next month's e3.
Given Microsoft's handling of it's recent acquisition of Skype, Ballmer might actually do it.

"The rumored console is still at the early stages of development and does not even have a design. The console is reportedly being stored in a PC case." -Article

I can believe this is true, but what it basically amounts to is textbook Microsoft FUD tactics combined with fishing among the the software developers for what they want, while not actually having anything done yet. Creating uncertainty and doubt by announcing a new, theoretically better, product to spoof your competition is classic Microsoft tactics for invading a market and toppling the current market leader afterall.

If they do, do this they will in turn force Sony's hand and PC gamers won't have as much to complain about for at least a little while. If that one VP responsible for the Ribbon Interface and making Windows 7 the refined OS it is, is involved we might see something rather interesting in the end result that'll give Nintendo a real run for its money. I'd like to see him ultimately in charge, as a charismaless marketing guy like Ballmer simply isn't the right person to lead the company.

I don't see what is at all surprising about this. I guarantee you that they're working on something. I guarantee you that Sony is also working on something. I can almost guarantee that they were working on something the month after their last respective consoles were released, because that's how R&D works (when you have the money): come up with an improvement, and improve upon it, scrap it, whatever, until it starts approaching what you actually want. To this end, it would not surprise me if Microsoft, in an attempt to steal Nintendo's thunder, announced they were working on a new console, complete with prototype.

The question will be, is the prototype they end up showing something that will end up becoming the next console, or will it be scrapped and redone when it really comes time for them to produce a new console.

No, the question is...Will M$ make an OFFICIAL announcement detailing (release date/year) the successor to XBOX 360 next month?
Answer: yes. If for no other reason than to keep people from talking about the Wii's successor.

That's the point I was getting at. They can and probably will announce a successor the the 360 because they are working on something, but that is not surprising because they should always be working on something. Whether the successor they announce will be the one that actually comes to market, and the time frame they give themselves to finish it will be the interesting things.

That is what was said about the GIZMONDO :p

LOL, have I just doomed Micro$oft? Why couldn't it have been Apple?

Back