Release Metroid Classic

Yes, my kid had the same issue yesterday night. I'll try to take a look, not an easy fix this time I'm afraid.
At least it wasn't just me!

Understand you are just porting someone else's work here...so if you manage to get it fixed, I will be very happy.  If not, well, I still have original Metroid on NES.

This issue DID NOT occur in the NES Original, no.

This game appears a very faithful re-creation of the original, with the exception of the bug we are talking about....and the save points.

In the original you did not have "save points" - what you got was a long alphanumeric code when you died - and that was the ONLY time you could get a new code.  and then, when you entered that code, you'd have all the stuff you collected, but you'd start with only 30 health points, and empty Energy Pods if you had any, which you could charge up.  but there were several "start points" that you would start at the one of those closest to where you had previously died.

Now, I have NOT had time to experiment much with the game before falling into the bug...the ground bombs are one of the first things I normally go after.

The only difference I have so far noted, if I recall correctly, are those rooms where the save spots appear...those rooms are not in the original. 

The other difference I note from the original...is that monsters move MUCH FASTER in this game versus the original, making this game much harder than the original...perhaps the porter here might find a way to tone back that speed just a little bit.

I have to first find and fix the lava bug... Then I can try t tune the monster speed... I'll ask question here when I'm at this point...

I only played the Gameboy Version (think it was Metroid II) and Super Metroid if I'm not mistaken. The monsters move slower there, too. I miss the ability to shoot at a 45 degree angle, and also the shots are quite short (in the other versions you can shoot across the room). But I guess this is how it was in the original version?
If they changed the save-system, I would have prefered being able to save anywhere (but I also suck at these kind of games, so ... :p )

It's a nice port though. I probably wouldn't have bothered playing the original 8bit version otherwise ;)

I only played the Gameboy Version (think it was Metroid II) and Super Metroid if I'm not mistaken. The monsters move slower there, too. I miss the ability to shoot at a 45 degree angle, and also the shots are quite short (in the other versions you can shoot across the room). But I guess this is how it was in the original version?

If they changed the save-system, I would have prefered being able to save anywhere (but I also suck at these kind of games, so ... :p )

It's a nice port though. I probably wouldn't have bothered playing the original 8bit version otherwise ;)
First...You have to get the Long Shots Power Up...in the original Metroid.  You start off with short shots, and that is how it is supposed to be.

I got the long shots.  So it works.

You could NEVER, not in the original NES Metroid...fire at 45-degree angles.  Can't be done in the original.

The original is the best, anyway.  You have to figure things out and you have to find hidden stuff.  And you have to think outside the box to find them.

In the Original, I managed to find all EIGHT Power Pods (yes you can only have six, but there are EIGHT of them hidden around...and if you have six pods already, getting a seventh gives you a full life recharge.)

I also managed to find all missile capacity, full load of 255 missiles.

The Varia Suit and the Screw Attack are the best two things to have in the Original Metroid.

New build. I fixed Acid to make you loose life. But when you fall, it seems you fall far under the screen so with no way to go out of the Acid, so after a while, you just die... But at least you die now.

Build 03

-----------

• Fixed Acid
  • Fixed a bug when dying out of the screen

Is there really nothing changed to the NES version? You'd think if some coder goes all the way to recreate an entire game, he'd add or alter some stuff! As almost any gaming machine can run a NES emulator nowadays, I really wonder what the whole point was :p Well I guess it's just some kind of homage...

Kudos to ptitSeb for the port though.

New build. I fixed Acid to make you loose life. But when you fall, it seems you fall far under the screen so with no way to go out of the Acid, so after a while, you just die... But at least you die now.

Build 03

-----------

• Fixed Acid
  • Fixed a bug when dying out of the screen
That's helpful...at least now you are not stuck for eternity.

Now if you can make it so that one can jump out....

I have to check on the original NES version to understand how it works...

I want to avoid messing with the level's data if possible...

So I'll try to check what is under the Acid tiles... I guess nothing, so maybe I'll try make samus not fall under the Acid Tiles?

Well, if you think that would help.

It's part of the game to fall INTO the acid.  But to not be able to jump out is a problem.

Once you get THAT problem fixed, I'll download an update and go back through testing and looking to see if this game is fairly true to the original.

So far, it seems to be, but with the current inability to jump out of the acid, it creates a real problem from a tester's standpoint.

old topic I know, but I played with this a little bit and noticed two bugs...

- when falling into acid, when you can get out of it, you don't stop losing life after that... the only way to survive is to save and restart the game from the save point...

- I found Kraid in a regular tunnel (not sure if that is right... he even respawn...) if I ignore him, he will just appear in all other rooms, frequently in the ground or in the ceiling, and I can't hit him while he still can hit me. like the previous bug the only solution is to save and reload...

I add those 2 bugs in the list. The acid is really an issue I have tp fix (with the "no bottom" one). About Kraid this one will be hard to find and fix.

Back