(Menu) Graphics And Music Wanted For Panjoust!

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Hi Everyone,

This is a call for artists, graphical and musical, for Panjoust. I can use better graphics for allmost everything but the characters. Dragons_slayer is working on those (hero, enemies, bosses eventually). But if you have a small enemy design that fits the style, it might be usable in minigames/sub levels/whatever this may lead to.

For those that have not heard of the project yet, it is a horizontal scrolling platform game, but you are flying instead of running. Originally inspired by Joust (1985 Atari ST, among other platforms), but with completely new graphics, bigger levels, and more gameplay options (and vertical scrolling will probably be available in 2 player battle mode, or special levels)

YouTube video of version from last week. (crappy video, not crappy gameplay ; )

What i could use:

-- Graphics --

* Main Menu Graphics
* Level Editor Buttons
* Status/score bar with icons (side or maybe bottom of the screen)
* Backgrounds (the scrolling BG is transparent like the one with trees , every level also has a gradient, could be with star/night effects?)
* Platforms/Obstacles (rocks, walls, etc. Style needs to match with the current graphics though)

-- Music/Sounds --

Mofokubic is working on some stuff. But still a lot could be used:

* More in-game music tracks
* Hiscore screen
* Main menu
* Sounds for collectibles
* Finishsound

If anyone is interested, post here or pm me. Sample files of the currently used sounds and graphics can be mailed ofcourse.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

p.s. I did not receive much response from the artist part of this community in the dev section, so i decided to give it a try here. Sorry for the double post, but at least it's not as pointless as some of the current topics here (Although those can be very entertaining at times ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
cool game! You're not kidding about new buttons and backgrounds :p

lol, no i was not, the menu and buttons are just a quick copy paste job. But the background looks pretty good in the game itself, youtube, the capturing program and compression don't do justice there (on slow connection so compressed heavily). Working on a w32 demo executable if anyone is interested in how it actually looks/plays

Looks _Very_ awesome; love the bird-artwork :p

Going to add multiplayer to it, by chance? Latency would kill you, but a good connection could have a lot of awesome here.

jeff

Think I have some platforms (floating islands) in similar style on another computer somewhere, they were from a mobile game me and some classmates did. I think they will fit well, and the game were never published so it would be ok to put them under CC.
Give me some days and I will pm you if I find em. ;)

Wow, it's shaping up to be pretty awesome so far!
Sorry I can't be of much help in the resources department though. :(

First of all, thanks for the positive feedback! More enery to keep me going ; )

skeezix said:
Looks _Very_ awesome; love the bird-artwork :p

Going to add multiplayer to it, by chance? Latency would kill you, but a good connection could have a lot of awesome here.

jeff

Multiplayer WILL be added, that's a given. But for now that will mainly be focused on 2 usb controllers (or one and the pandora) and a tv screen. I have never developed anything network related, so i will give that a try when most of the rest is finished.

@ CasperN: Floating islands sound cool, looking forward to how they look (IF you can find them ; )

@ Tripmonkey: I know how you feel, i tried as well...

I don't know how many buttons you plan to use, but you could have splitscreen local multiplayer. (Or not even splitscreen, if the level is one screen long)
Left trigger and dpad for player one, right trigger and actionbuttons for player two. Or nubs, if that would make it more fair.

Just an idea.

Vlynndar said:
I don't know how many buttons you plan to use, but you could have splitscreen local multiplayer. (Or not even splitscreen, if the level is one screen long)
Left trigger and dpad for player one, right trigger and actionbuttons for player two. Or nubs, if that would make it more fair.

Just an idea.

Hmm, technically very easy, only 3 or 4 buttons will be used per player. But i don't know if playing will be very comfortable on a small device like this (one of the 2 persons being left handed might help though, dunno). Imagine using an usb controller with 2 ppl, and then with the screen attached...

But if you have an usb keyboard (or even mouse i suppose), that can easily be configured as second controller, instead of a gamepad.

Still looking for more artists!

Edit: cleared up some things

I haven't got a heck of a lot of free time these days, but I'll have a go at knocking up some sprites for you; or at least some concepts someone else could finish off.

Kagato said:
I haven't got a heck of a lot of free time these days, but I'll have a go at knocking up some sprites for you; or at least some concepts someone else could finish off.

Cool! all help is welcome atm

Amigo Bandito Crujiente made a mockup for the menu. The menu buttons are decided on :D

24gr5o4.jpg

Cool! Did Ravenclaw work on that one?
Also, I'd love to help, how big do you need a background?

Looking really great so far, I like how many people show interest, so it has a good chance of being completed :D
Especially the multi-player mode will make it a lot of fun.

If you have any troubles with the achievement stuff - you know who to bother ;)

foxblock out

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the response myself. Never thought this many ppl would show interest.

@ Jourdy: I advise you to wait with the backgrounds just a bit. Amigo bandito cruente has made some samples, and i want to try those out. Then, when the style is set, more additions can be made. I won't have acces to my programming pc today (real life, bummer), but i'll try to do that tomorrow and post a video.

About the wall: nice start. But something that is stackable/repeatable is more useful. And it's a bit blurry, pixels may bee seen, that's not a bad thing ;) I also want to remind you though that there is room for different platform styles. I don't want the same green and brown obstacles for every level so you are not limited to that. Height for the standard platforms is fixed at 25 pixels, width is 4x 64 (start and end piece of the platform, and 2 repeatable mid sections) other obstacles can have any dimensions you like. Transparent colour is usually set at magenta

Just keep i mind it has to match the birdriders.

Cheers!

Perhaps more a brick wall? Let me mangle a couple things in GIMP...
What do you think of this? Hopefully more tileable?

Midpiece:
1zp1rm1.jpg

Does it look too much like an endpiece? If so, should I remove the right side?
Endpiece:
2a93a83.jpg

"Amigo Bandito Crujiente made a mockup for the menu" ----------- THAT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!

Joepostal said:
"Amigo Bandito Crujiente made a mockup for the menu" ----------- THAT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!

Ghehe, yeah i know. It's also no longer a mockup since i received all the individual files. After work i'll try implementing as much as can and post a new vid on youtube

Back