Mame4all For Gp2x V1.0

iix said:
Franxis' work is fantastic, and I will soon be off to Paypal to make a donation!

I have been successfully using Mamegp2x 5.1 for a little while now. I've noticed though that this new version doesn't seem to work with a fair proportion of the games which 5.1 worked with (e.g. burger time, marble madness...).

I get "ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run". Any ideas?? They worked in Mamegp2x 5.1

Sorry to be a whinger!! I hope this feedback helps!!

Great work on on the MAME stuff you've been involved with! :)
MAME4ALL uses different romsets (from a newer MAME version, 0.37b5) !!!. To fix the romsets use clrmame pro utility (see the readme.txt coming with the emulator).

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody help me with clrmame pro? I'm fighting with my Linux laptop currently (trying to set up Internet connection) and I really have no patience. I have Vendetta rom for MAME. What should I do now if I use the emu from this thread (thanks!) and Vendetta rom that is not working (it works for some other people).

Google can help all this people looking for the romset needed.

search: Removed

Thanks a lot Franxis. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but your fix list looks great.

Franxis said:
jbrodack said:
I'm having the same problem as davec with vector graphics. also is there a way to change screen orientation and aspect ratio after starting a game. If not there should be cause there was in the previous mame for gp2x
For the vector games, try with the following options:
- Video Sync: DblBuff
- Video Aspect: Scale

Tell me if it works, i don't have the GP2X near me...

HI,

The double buffer mode fixes it. The scaling ruins it though. It runs with double buffer with "normal" too but the screen is cropped.

What the emu seems to do is render at a higher resolution than the GP2X screen. It then takes the frame buffer and then scales down removing detail. It looks quite nice in "normal" mode with smooth antialiasing. Then when you scale down it looks quite bad. The objects turn to blotches and don't look as nice as in "normal". Also since vectors are 1 pixel wide lines when you scale down some vectors *disappear* completely, especially vertical and horizontal lines. Alot of vector text is unreadable scaled down, and objects become incomplete. Try "Space Duel" both in NORMAL, then in SCALED. You will see the difference. The text is unreadable scaled.

Couldn't the vector games be made to render directly to 320 x 240 resolution? Since they are vectors the math could be adjusted *before* the framebuffer. The old GP2X MAME did this. You would gain alot of things:

You would be calculating less pixels between vectors, may help speed?

It would look MUCH better as you aren't removing detail.

You could see all objects and read all text as lines in objects would not disappear.

@ Franxis:

How did the show at RetroMadrid go? Were you an exhibitor? Any photos? :)

I would love to go this event one day but being in Australia - it's a long and expensive trip! Perhaps the next time I go to Europe will coincide with this event.

when i load a rom file, "play to type OK or exit to ESC" appears.
in "read me" text file, press LFET and RIGHT to type "OK" but it doesn't work.
that means press LEFT & RIGHT button simultaneously?
i'm a F100 user so i can't do in that way.
someone tell me a solution plz :(

just press LEFT,then RIGHT?
I've tried several times, still it doesn't work.
what's the problem..

Is your installation clean?
It is better to do a clean instalation to avoid problems like this.

Reinstall.

MEGADETH said:
just press LEFT,then RIGHT?
I've tried several times, still it doesn't work.
what's the problem..
Press the *stick* left then right (or up down in vertical mode). You don't need to do the correct one first. If you hit right-left-right it will still work. If all else fails just thrash until it works :p You may be hitting a diagonal in there though so try to keep straight.

I hate to sound negative and unappreciative but so far I haven't gotten too much out of this new version of mame. The older version seems to run most games faster and better. cps-1 games supposedly run better with this version but I've already moved on to FBA2x for those games. There seems to be a load of new games but besides simpsons, xmen, and sunset riders kind of hard to tell what to play thats new. also the new games like those seem kind of slow too. vector games have image problems. Hopefully things will improve with new versions of the emulator especially since he did kind of start from scratch on this version. On a good note hang on at least seemed to run better with this version.

what new (didn't work with previous mame) games that are fun work well with this new version of mame? The biggest advantage of this new version is the greatly expanded list of games to play so I want to know how to best take advantage of that.

I do appreciate the effort put into this just giving an honest overview of my experience so far and trying to see if it should be better. Maybe I should be using different settings too.

Hi Jbrodack,
I had a similar issue with 5.1 working better than mame4all, but then again, I had failed to properly read the 'readme' instructions!! :blink:

I was advised by Franxis to use clrmame utility to convert the roms I had into something more suitable for this version. I haven't done this yet, but I figure that might help solve my issue, and perhaps yours as well.

It certainly seems as though those more experienced than myself here have really seen the benefit of mame4all, so I think once converted, you should see some major advantages :)

Back