Mame Gp2x 4.6

I didnt even realise, RAINBOW ISLANDS HERE I COME :D

THAAAAANNNNNNKKK YOOOUUU

Just got back from my own holidays. Great news! Can't wait to try this latest version.

I've got some additional updates for MAME and some bug fixes too from a few weeks back but I've been struggling with the GP32 version of MAME. Damn that system is hard to develop for compared to the GP2X!

I'll just put this out to people - still intersted in an improved GP32 version?

slaanesh said:
Just got back from my own holidays. Great news! Can't wait to try this latest version.

I've got some additional updates for MAME and some bug fixes too from a few weeks back but I've been struggling with the GP32 version of MAME. Damn that system is hard to develop for compared to the GP2X!

Welcome back !!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:

actually, I am very interested in an update of the GP32 version, however, I guess I am the only one, so maybe it is not worth your valuable time

Man I love rainbow Islands. I have played it loads already.

Im sure I had Rodland and Double Dragon working on a previous version of mame but when Ive tried them they wont work. Am I mistaken or do I have different versions of the roms than before

thats the real double dragon not the neogeo one

chaos engineer said:
slaanesh said:

actually, I am very interested in an update of the GP32 version, however, I guess I am the only one, so maybe it is not worth your valuable time

Make that two, I am also interested in a GP32 update of MAME, As i just got myself a GP2x (my second) from Craigix`s ebay auction and still can not get to grips with the GP2x`s joystick, The GP32`s one is sooo much better. Btw, I`m not a very good beta tester.

Trooper

trooper said:
chaos engineer said:
slaanesh said:

Make that two, I am also interested in a GP32 update of MAME, As i just got myself a GP2x (my second) from Craigix`s ebay auction and still can not get to grips with the GP2x`s joystick, The GP32`s one is sooo much better. Btw, I`m not a very good beta tester.

Trooper

Hello slaanesh & Franxis,

It's been a while, but I'm back in the UK again after 21 months away enjoying a Great Adventure.

I'd also be very interested in a new version of Mame for the GP32, I was just thinking of digging out a copy of the sourcecode myself to have a play with. Slaanesh, if you could release a new version then I'd really appreciate it and maybe do a little tinkering myself (no promises mind, as I'm very busy trying get back in the swing of 'normal life' again).

And well done Franxis et. all. I'm impressed with what you've all managed to do on the GP2X version, I didn't think that so many improvements could be made to it. Amazing work.

Everything else is great but Taito's Superman still freezes in game. Since Slaanesh
is back maybe he can fix the problem. :(

slaanesh said:

Welcome back, slaanesh - I'm pretty sure you know MY answer to this question. :lol:

trooper said:
Make that two, I am also interested in a GP32 update of MAME, As i just got myself a GP2x (my second) from Craigix`s ebay auction and still can not get to grips with the GP2x`s joystick, The GP32`s one is sooo much better.
And you are damn right. ;)

Though i love the GP2X-Version too (thanks so much Franxis for your hard work).
However not that bloody joystick !

Is it possible that Superman loads continuously and it goes slow with slow sd cards??

I remember playing superman in the arcades when i was a wee nipper.
I forgot it existed for years and any memory i did have i thought was a dream. Hope I get to play it again one without freezing one day.

In the mean time back to the islands

Hi everybody!

I've had a look at Superman... not debugged it yet or anything but the freeze up doesn't seem like a sound related issue as the music keeps going.

There are two CPUs driving the game - 68000 and Z80. Seeing as the action freezes I would have though that it's more likely that it's a Cyclone related problem seeing as there has been changes to this area. There were also some tweaks to Superman in later versions of MAME so I'll have a look at those too.

I'm still beavering away at the GP32 version of MAME. I honestly believe that this version of MAME is struggling to go much futher as I think it's really hitting system bandwidth limits. This is evident with the "GP32 Sound Bug" rearing it's ugly head. On top of that I am also finding that the GPSDK sound system is really inaccurate at best, especially when clocking the CPU at different rates. And given that there are so many different sound subsystems to support it's hard to find something that really works well for everything. Single system emulators have the advantage here as you could tweak it specifically for some given hardware, whereas MAME covers a very wide spectrum indeed.

Given all this I've been really trying to improve the sound in games that already play at a decent speed rather than adding new big games that won't play that great anyway. So I've made the sound system entirely 16-bit to match the GP2X version as well as incorporating many of the patches to the code. The sound mixing system is now identical to the GP2X which is really fast and provides a better, more accurate sound.

This leads into a problem which had come up some time ago about "low sound" on the GP32 version of MAME. Now with the same mixer as the GP2X the problem is alleviated some what but some games are still "quiet". An example of this is the game "Amidar". It uses 2x AY8910 chips which has 3 channels of sound each for a total of 6 channels of sound. In most cases it only seems to use 2-3 channels of sound and the others are just playing "silence". So when this all gets mixed together it seems to end up with a reduced volume on the channels which are playing. The effect is also evident on the GP2X but for some reason isn't as noticeable. Compare "Amidar" with "Pacman" and you'll see what I mean.

So, I was wondering as a last ditch effort would be to use a different SDK for the sound - how does Mr Mirko's SDK fair for this? I haven't used it yet but what MAME needs is an accurate audio subsystem.

The problem with the GPSDK is that if you specify a rate, say 22050hz you don't actually get 22050hz. On top of this the actual playing rate seems to depend heavily on the current clock speed. I've had a look at the 'srate' source which provides a means of calculating actual playing frequency given a requested playing frequency and CPU clock, but it still seems to vary. It's all a bit annoying. The other code I've looked at is the 'mlib' source which has some audio playing routines which may be useful.

Anyone have some other ideas or input on this issue?

slaanesh said:
Hi everybody!

I've had a look at Superman... not debugged it yet or anything but the freeze up doesn't seem like a sound related issue as the music keeps going.

There are two CPUs driving the game - 68000 and Z80. Seeing as the action freezes I would have though that it's more likely that it's a Cyclone related problem seeing as there has been changes to this area. There were also some tweaks to Superman in later versions of MAME so I'll have a look at those too.
Then could it be the trace thing that happens with project X on the Amiga

foleyjo said:
slaanesh said:
Hi everybody!

Then could it be the trace thing that happens with project X on the Amiga

Well Superman was working with previous versions of Cyclone so if it's a Cyclone problem is must be something to do with the changes recently made by notaz.

slaanesh said:
Well Superman was working with previous versions of Cyclone so if it's a Cyclone problem is must be something to do with the changes recently made by notaz.
Actually I have looked at this and I think this is not Cyclone issue. You can try recompiling MAME with FAMEC or even standard MAME core and you will still get the same problem.

notaz said:
slaanesh said:
Actually I have looked at this and I think this is not Cyclone issue. You can try recompiling MAME with FAMEC or even standard MAME core and you will still get the same problem.

Okay I'll delve a bit deeper then.

slaanesh said:
No, it is not a Cyclone problem. It was working ok in v3.8, and it is not working since the fm.cpp change in v3.9.

thegrimreaper said:
Hello slaanesh & Franxis,

It's been a while, but I'm back in the UK again after 21 months away enjoying a Great Adventure.

I'd also be very interested in a new version of Mame for the GP32, I was just thinking of digging out a copy of the sourcecode myself to have a play with. Slaanesh, if you could release a new version then I'd really appreciate it and maybe do a little tinkering myself (no promises mind, as I'm very busy trying get back in the swing of 'normal life' again).

And well done Franxis et. all. I'm impressed with what you've all managed to do on the GP2X version, I didn't think that so many improvements could be made to it. Amazing work.

Woooooo!!! Welcome back TheGrimReaper !!! I have enjoyed a lot your Great Adventure blog during these months. :D

I'm busy now with the System 16 driver again. I'm trying to update to MAME 0.36b4 (Out Run, sound in Shadow Dancer and Moonwalker, etc), but it is a complex task due to a lot of new sound chips... But after my holidays IT WILL WORK. :lol:

Back