Beta Mame4All Beta

jumpman said:
On a side note, none of my NeoGeo games seem to run thru Mame. Once I select the game, and try and start it, it kicks me out to the desk top.

Do I need to set a specific option in the menu, or is this a known problem?
I've had this happen too with Metal Slug but didn't really think anything of it at the time. Don't suppose you've tried disabling either (or both) of the ASM cores in the menu?

Last edited by a moderator:
SteveM said:
jumpman said:
On a side note, none of my NeoGeo games seem to run thru Mame. Once I select the game, and try and start it, it kicks me out to the desk top.

Do I need to set a specific option in the menu, or is this a known problem?
I've had this happen too with Metal Slug but didn't really think anything of it at the time. Don't suppose you've tried disabling either (or both) of the ASM cores in the menu?
I just tried every core option(and tried off also), and it kicks you out with everyone. Every NeoGeo rom I have tried does the same thing, and I've tried 4 or 5 differant ones. Anyone else had any luck?

Chris

jumpman said:
I just tried every core option(and tried off also), and it kicks you out with everyone. Every NeoGeo rom I have tried does the same thing, and I've tried 4 or 5 differant ones.
Ah well, was worth a try. At least it seems to be NeoGeo-specific and is easily reproduced, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down and fix (famous last words...).

CapcomSuicide said:
I use "Ghouls n Ghosts" as my reference game, as the scrolling is very jerky very quickly if MAME isn't 100%.

At 700Mhz the games seems as smooth as I have seen on a handheld. (0 frame skip, Vsync on Normal, Sound 44K)

With vysnc set to normal gng runs 100% fullspeed at 500mhz, i just didnt think to try before now, sorry.

Wonderful Work, and i love being able to choose filter. Gng is also a great test to see that the blur in is occasions makes the game look much closer to a cathod ray tube. So this is a game I am glad to use the filter. It is brilliant that I can choose, as some games may look better clean.

Cps1 full speed at 500mhz is a tremendous result, one I didnt expect so soon!

Allow me to reiterate my suggestion to use a modified version of PC mame controls.

While there's no need to use the crazy gp2x button combos, it doesn't make sense to use the mame defaults such as tab for menu and f11 for show fps because on pandora those keys require you to use the fn modifier. I would go for p for pause, space for menu, q for quit game, and f for show fps, no fn key use required.

SteveM said:
I meant to look at that last night too but forgot about it. I did dig out Asteroids though - I see what you mean by tiny! Shouldn't be a hard thing to fix.

We have the keys at our disposal to revert to the regular MAME controls, so I'll probably just do that.

Scanlines could be done in software, but then we'd need software scaling too which would require coding and come with a performance hit. It's possible that a FIR filter could be used to do scanlines, but I've no idea how one would go about that.
Yeah it just looks like it is rendering to 320 x 240 Wiz resolution. To keep aspect rendering to 640 x 480 would be nice, it already has anti-aliased vectors so a filter is not needed.

Be careful with the keys though. I remember from the MAME 106 port that inserting coin and player start was not logical or intuitive at all. I remember having to just keep pressing buttons until something happened. The best option would be to have them configurable. Also there may be conflicts if someone is using rotate mode and uses some keys for fire etc.

I would check with Exophase for the various FIR algorythms. He is kind of a math genius and was talking about messing with them anyway.

SteveM said:
Mjlink said:
Just played Rush N Attack and the speed is fast/slow/fast/slow. Tried messing with different setting, but no avail.
Frame skip set to auto, maybe? That doesn't work yet. Otherwise try different video sync options (V-sync should be best, double buffering should work OK too).

Tried every configuration I could think of and it is still slow for 3 seconds and fast for 1 basically.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
SteveM said:
Mjlink said:
Just played Rush N Attack and the speed is fast/slow/fast/slow. Tried messing with different setting, but no avail.
Frame skip set to auto, maybe? That doesn't work yet. Otherwise try different video sync options (V-sync should be best, double buffering should work OK too).

Tried every configuration I could think of and it is still slow for 3 seconds and fast for 1 basically.

Peace & Pandora,

Link
WOW, I just happened to try this game a few hours ago myself, and I had the exact same problem, WTF!? I thought I was seeing things, as I have never really seen a game run "fast,slow" like this before. Glad to see I wasn't going bonkers! :p

Chris

Hi,

Thank you for porting mame4all to the Pandora !

Gave my good ol' "Hangon" a go, and it was smooth and fast, some sound glitches here and there, but no big deal :)

Tested on Pandora / HF4 @ 500MHz.

Bye and thanks again !

Magic Sam

jumpman said:
WOW, I just happened to try this game a few hours ago myself, and I had the exact same problem, WTF!? I thought I was seeing things, as I have never really seen a game run "fast,slow" like this before. Glad to see I wasn't going bonkers! :p

Chris
It's good to get reassurance, I get accused of too much pipe time much like poor Mario.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

New version on the app store and awaiting approval on the archive:

• NeoGeo should work now. MAME4ALL uses a separate executable for this which was missing from the previous build (d'oh!).
  • Vector games are rendered at 640x480 (upright games are automagically scaled to 480 lines by MAME if screen is not rotated).

SteveM said:
New version on the app store and awaiting approval on the archive:

• NeoGeo should work now. MAME4ALL uses a separate executable for this which was missing from the previous build (d'oh!).
  • Vector games are rendered at 640x480 (upright games are automagically scaled to 480 lines by MAME if screen is not rotated).
Damn, you are a machine. I'm sending my donation ASAP! I would hate to see you stop working on Mame, as it is one of my emu faves, but I would love to see you tackle a few more projects if you can find the time.

SteveM, you are the MAN!

Chris

Edit:Donation Sent!

NeoGeo working great. There is a little crckling noise in metal slug 1, but all the other games I tried sound fine. So I don't know if the sound issue just might be Mame specific problem(may or may not be a bug). It's also great to play tempest in the standard view and size now. Great work as always SteveM. Keep em coming!

Chris

jumpman said:
NeoGeo working great. There is a little crckling noise in metal slug 1, but all the other games I tried sound fine. So I don't know if the sound issue just might be Mame specific problem(may or may not be a bug). It's also great to play tempest in the standard view and size now. Great work as always SteveM. Keep em coming!

Chris
I have been testing and ALLOT of games have this popping/clicking in the sound. Try Q*bert, DonkeyKong jr. for good examples. The popping is a kind of a rhythmic interval too in many of games (evident in the ones I mention). There is like a pop......pop.......pop.......pop....... going in the background it is weird.

For those having issues with NeoGeo you could try the dedicated NeoGeo emu.

Steve:

Another suggestion, is there a way to maybe re-label what the actual Pandora buttons are in the MAME button config menu? If I want to assign the "A" button to something I don't know what to select as they are non obvious PC keyboard names.

In rotate mode How do you remap buttons? I wanted to switch the , and . keys as the one closer to edge is easier to hit.

The speed fluctuations are definetly related to v-sync. Many of the vector games do this too (Star Wars, Space Duel, SpaceFury). If I turn off v-sync it stops pausing (it looks like someone is hitting pause every second) but the game runs at 10X speed. Maybe the sound clicks (Q*bert) are caused by the same bug? They seem to click in the same intervals.

An idea for a FIR filter option, one that filters horizontal only (integer mode) as that may look kind of good. I don't know without trying though. I wish I knew about the math behind that.

This is really nice so far. Thanks for the full screen vectors :)

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked anywhere already but what romset is MAME4ALL based on?

Cheers :)

0.37b5 but i cant find anywhere to get those anymore and crlmamepro is soo complicated i cant figure it out

milkshake said:
0.37b5 but i cant find anywhere to get those anymore and crlmamepro is soo complicated i cant figure it out
Yeah, if you check the last Pandora Mame thread(I believe), it had a very detailed tutorial for using those complicated rom set creators like crlmamepro.

Chris

Didn't see this one for a few days.. nice! Great work Steve!

Still reading the thread new stuff, but .. easiest way to set the speed is just to do somethign akin to "system ( "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpu_speed.sh ##") (or whatever the path is); its sudo, but is in the sudoers to not need a pass, so should always succeed; extra points for caching the current speed value (if can be done without root by catting the /proc) in the runm-script, and at the end of the runscript restore the previous setting, perhaps? This way it'd handle a mame crash or normal user exit by restoring to user default.)

I'll check this build out now :)

jeff

oh btw .. I last looked at FBA years ago, and if I recall right.. there is no 'canonicle' source for it; seems like FBA schismed off into like 5 different builds at various times, with each getting different sets of new features etc; dunno what the state of it is now, but I remember thinking it was a total disaster, with the most advanced versions of it seemign dead and without source posted. But let us hope its more clean these days :)

jeff

Oooooooh, first handheld that can do Super Sprint right! (its a high res game, so usually goes to hell on most!)

Beauty Steve!

jeff

(Took me awhile to realize I'd rebuilt the code and tried various hacks a week or two back, and dropped them in appdata as overrides; so the new version didn't do anything for awhile :)

Back