Mame Running On Pandora. Video(s) Inside.

Taking into account Out Run and Gradius run quite well in the GP2X (with tweaks, underclock, overcloking, all the asm cores, etc i think a comparable video could be done in the GP2X)... It would be great to see a video of one of the following games (with fps shown):
- Hammerin' Harry
- Raiden
- Mortal Kombat

This should be a great Pandora Vs Gp2x performance test...

Franxis said:
Taking into account Out Run and Gradius run quite well in the GP2X (with tweaks, underclock, overcloking, all the asm cores, etc i think a comparable video could be done in the GP2X)... It would be great to see a video of one of the following games (with fps shown):
- Hammerin' Harry
- Raiden
- Mortal Kombat

This should be a great Pandora Vs Gp2x performance test...
If it is still running with rotation, there is another bit of improvement to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Raiden runs fine at 500mhz, we are going to try MK1 tonight and see how it runs.
I look forward to that Craig I'm a big MK fan. Also possible to try MK2 also?

Edit: Wow great stuff Mk1 full speed that's great :)

craigix said:
MK2 does not seem to be supported, or we have the wrong rom set, can anyone confirm?
MK2 should be supported in 0.37b5 so it must be the romset.

Here is the list of files contained in the mk2.zip that m37b5 is expecting:
CODE

MK2 romset name & CRC32 (ie. use 'winzip' to find CRC32).

su2.l1 0x5f23d71d
su3.l1 0xd6d92bf9
su4.l1 0xeebc8e0f
su5.l1 0x2b0b7961
su6.l1 0xf694b27f
su7.l1 0x20387e0a
uj12.l31 0xcf100a75
ug12.l31 0x582c7dfd
ug14-vid 0x01e73af6
ug16-vid 0x8ba6ae18
ug17-vid 0x937d8620
uj14-vid 0xd4985cbb
uj16-vid 0x39d885b4
uj17-vid 0x218de160
ug19-vid 0xfec137be
ug20-vid 0x809118c1
ug22-vid 0x154d53b1
uj19-vid 0x2d763156
uj20-vid 0xb96824f0
uj22-vid 0x8891d785

Oh and nice news about MK running on the Pandora. It's one of my fave fighting games. Loved the PC version too.

Hi,

As Craig mentioned, a video is up of Mortal Kombat 1 (MK1) in action on the Pandora via mame4all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9AuLShJ-nU

Raiden runs great, but Mortal Kombat 1 made a better video. :p

I began work on MAME v1.28 (the latest version). Progress is slow due to all the work I have around me. But it's fairly straight forward of a process. My plan is to get v1.28 up and running, try performance, and post the sources so it can be made all nice and pretty with a frontend. If v1.06 for instance is preferred, I believe a lot of the same code can be reapplied to it. If someone has a performance test of more recent 2007/2008 releases of MAME that would be great!

In the meantime I will continue making videos of software on Pandora. As shown though, whatever we've done on the GP2X, is handled on the Pandora with finesse.

This is so fun! :)
ZodTTD

I believe I read that in .128 many old CSP2 Roms and the like don't work and that new dumps are needed due to some change or other that was made.

zodttd said:
I began work on MAME v1.28 (the latest version). Progress is slow due to all the work I have around me. But it's fairly straight forward of a process.
Looking forward to seeing how big the executable is. Also how long it takes to compile from a "make clean".

Mortal Kombat looks great - though I'm just being ultra pedantic - it looks like it's dropping some frames.

My definition of fullspeed is the game running at 100%, zero frames dropped and full sound.

Any chance of doing videos with the FPS indicator switched on?

Thanks guys this is the shit :)

Please if you get time show MK2 :)

Edit: Zodttd is MK1 running @ 500MHZ? I also agree with slaanesh it does not look quite full speed and sound only skips when FPS can't be met. Well that's
what I understand anyways. But it's sick that's it playing though :)

Keep the videos rolling Zodttd :)

slaanesh said:
zodttd said:
I began work on MAME v1.28 (the latest version). Progress is slow due to all the work I have around me. But it's fairly straight forward of a process.
Looking forward to seeing how big the executable is. Also how long it takes to compile from a "make clean".

Mortal Kombat looks great - though I'm just being ultra pedantic - it looks like it's dropping some frames.

My definition of fullspeed is the game running at 100%, zero frames dropped and full sound.

Any chance of doing videos with the FPS indicator switched on?

Agreed. And the sound looks to be off synch. Could be the encoding though.

Anyways, it looks great and can't wait to see the other videos.

MK1 looks pretty smooth to me there, perhaps some frame dropping. I currently can't hear the sound, but one thing to keep in mind with MK is that the emulated hardware outputs at around 53Hz, so it will never look perfectly smooth on a 60Hz display (without some extra tinkering).

Great work so far Zod, but also agree that this is not full speed, contrary to what craig said. Unless the video is the culprit here and not the emu.

I guess we have to remember Zodttd is not using final dev kit. So once we get more optimisations done to the code, prehaps then MK1 and hopefully 2 will be full speed with sound.

Oh... is NBA JAM supported in that version guys? I'd love to see a video of that, be a good test for the panda :)

Edit: Just tried Mortal Kombat 1 on my xbox with Mame version .85 it is runs about 44,45 FPS with sound and it stutters a bit. Zodttd vid appears almost full speed and the pandora is only doing 500MHZ. Man this CPU must be good, or is this due to the larger L2 cache helping out?

x68000 said:
Great work so far Zod, but also agree that this is not full speed, contrary to what craig said. Unless the video is the culprit here and not the emu.
Zod mentioned that he needed to rotate the screen on his dev board, when he posted psx4pandora vids, eating performance.

@Zod
Is it still the case with MAME?

Back