Mame Running On Pandora. Video(s) Inside.

zodttd said:
slaanesh: Ok I will give those games a run. I will grab the 1.06 MAME sources and read Giles comparison as well. Thanks for the heads up! I believe 1.06 supports save states as well, which would be great. :)
Using dynamic libraries for each driver would be fantastic, for the reasons you stated (saves on storage space). Seems like the changes involved in getting each driver into it's own module would be difficult though. It would also lock us into a particular version as updating such code would get difficult as well. I will speak to one of the MAME devs about this.

This is wonderfull , I am truly excited about this ,1.06 would be absolutly awsome :)
Thanks again for all your doing for the Pandora Project :) ... Bud

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks zodttd !
I'm happy you don't stay exclusively with iphone & co, and don't listen all those apple fans (i.e) who don't understand why you develop for something else.

This is fantastic!

MAME was one of the emulation platforms I was really hoping for and with Franxis originally indicating no desire to develop for the Pandora, I was sad. Seeing this ported over is absolutely awesome.

It would be awesome to see if some more games can be added with the Pandora's speed improvements.

Thanks to you (for the port) and Franxis for the original work!

Any chance for some Bionic Commando? :D

I've begun porting the latest MAME v1.28 over to the Pandora. Once I have it running ROMs, I will put the source up via a public GIT/SVN service. Shouldn't take too long for that to happen. :)

I'm trying to keep the port of MAME as clean as possible. It's not too difficult to get it up and running. I can integrate some of the OSD code from the mame4all port. From there I can see how the code performs, and whether I need to add Cyclone / DrZ80 cores at that moment.

Will definitely be fun!

Now it's time to make some videos of my current port of mame4all! BRB. ;)

hells_dark said:
Thanks zodttd !
I'm happy you don't stay exclusively with iphone & co, and don't listen all those apple fans (i.e) who don't understand why you develop for something else.
LOL. Yeah, iPhone is work, Pandora is play. :)

zodttd said:
I've begun porting the latest MAME v1.28 over to the Pandora. Once I have it running ROMs, I will put the source up via a public GIT/SVN service. Shouldn't take too long for that to happen. :)

I'm trying to keep the port of MAME as clean as possible. It's not too difficult to get it up and running. I can integrate some of the OSD code from the mame4all port. From there I can see how the code performs, and whether I need to add Cyclone / DrZ80 cores at that moment.

Will definitely be fun!

hells_dark said:
Thanks zodttd !
LOL. Yeah, iPhone is work, Pandora is play. :)

I'd love to see how this would compare to version .106 and some of the older ones as well. I have a dedicated Mame cabinet running at home that is using version .86 that has been great. I haven't found the need to go any higher as it seems they have been adding more Japanese puzzle and quiz games than anything else. To be honest, of the 4000 or so games that are available, I find that I pared that list down to about 300 or so that I deemed worth playing and admittedly don't even play all of those. :)

Thanks so much for the work you're doing on this!!!!

STUN Runner please.

I know you have many suggestions already, but it would be wonderful if you could squeeze that one in somewhere.

Thank you for the work, it is looking fabulous!

I love this community. :)
So much to be seen on the Pandora. It's going to be a fun ride!

For sure, any new machine is exciting to be part of, but something as versatile as the Pandora with not just a faster CPU than the last gen, but proper controls, keyboard, touchscreen and a higher res screen just implodes my brain of the possibilities!
Can't wait...
Oh add Choplifter to that list Zod! Great work btw keep it up!

I'd be interested to see a vector game - one of the ones with a very high res - like Gravitar.
I love that game but think that everything might end up too small on a tiny screen.

This is just awesome! MAME was one of the biggest things i was hoping for on the Pandora, and here it is happening! Thank you SO much for your work zodttd! :) As a game suggestion to try out, How about In The Hunt?

I would love to see the following running on video:

Paperboy (This always had an odd joystick problem on the GP2X)
Alien Syndrome
Gauntlet
Battle Zone
Akkanvader
Elevator Action
NewZealand Story

Great work guys love to see latest MAME running. :)

Zodttd, if you and the crew can get Mortal Kombat 2 running full speed with sound that would be amazing feat. NBA Jam would be nice also hehe.

My list of things to see running.

MK2
NBA Jam
Pang hehe
Street Fighter 2
Primal Rage
Rolling Thunder
Vendetta ahh... the gays in the ASIA version lol

Cheers

The latest version of MAME?!?! Wow, that would be incredible. Even if everything else failed, this alone would make the Pandora worth the price. An arcade library in your freaking pocket.

zodttd said:

Will definitely be fun!

MAME already is version 0.128? Cool, my last PC MAME version was 0.104, I hope these older 0.104 Romsets work with the latest MAME. ^_^

Are the new MAME versions really that slow? I mean because MAME4ALL based onto very old versions. Is MAME really getting slower and slower with new versions because of more accurate Emulation? Have the new versions some advantages compared to the old ones where the Pandora could benefit from? Somewhere I've read, that newer PC MAME revisions have better support for 3D Hardware and Direct3D etc..
Pandora has no DirectX but maybe there is a way to use the SGX unit... not as 3D graphic card but maybe in the way like all these new-fashioned "GPU does CPU stuff" ? ^_^

So what's the truth about MAME? :D

WarmFluffyUK said:
Paperboy (This always had an odd joystick problem on the GP2X)
the most MAME games had an joystick-problem on the GP2X. This was mainly because of the crappy GP2X (F-100) stick. :D

joshwaan2k said:
Zodttd, if you and the crew can get Mortal Kombat 2 running full speed with sound that would be amazing feat. NBA Jam would be nice also hehe.
I prefer NBA- MAXIMUM HANGTIME. :) But afaik it needs a "little bit" more CPU power to be emulated.

Zod,

You're work in this community allowed me to stray from the Apvil empire.

Thanks for porting MAME!

If you are still making MAME movies, Rush N Attack & Mr Do

You made my week!

Peace

Link

Ps. Will MAME roms work from GP2X Mame4all on what will be ready for Pandora when it arrives?

Back