Mame Gp32 Bad News :-(...

i agree with the majority........

your studies must come first, you have given this community something special and for that I am mighty thankful.

i think your previous release will keep people very happy for time to come and i bet that nobody really minds waiting,
so thanks for all you have done, and i hope that your university can see what a fantastic peice of work this project is.

Keep the good work up Franxis !

I think many many many people are behind you as you did some REALLY good job on porting MaMe to our beloved GP32s

You should not care so much about these pricks telling stupid things .

Best thing is to graduate , I think and to work on your Uni project , then you can still publish a polished and upgraded version of your work .

I didnt know MAME Devs were soo uncool ... Gonna use MeMA , instead ;)

Qing

That sucks.. hopefully they'll let you do one of the two things that you planned to. It wouldnt be too bad if you had to remove it from the net until you finished it. but incase you do, i better download this release quickly!

Slow down folks...

MAME _is_ open source. Which is exactly why the MAME license requires derived works (like Franxis' wonderful GP32 version) to post their source code. To keep things open source. This is pretty simple really. Wanna do a MAME port or alternate build? Fine, MAMEdev won't care BUT they only require you post your source code and follow a few basic rules in the MAME license.

Now, I don't know where those people were giving Franxis a hard time, I just visited the official MAME boards and didn't see anything. If it's at MAMEWorld or something I don't visit their boards very often so I don't know. But that guy who called Franxis a "lamer" is probably ignorant and just likes to sound big and scary online because he's a little guy in real life. We all know Franxis is a good guy and deserves respect.

So I think Franxis is doing the right thing. And I also understand why MAMEdev made the request they have.

When Franxis is ready to return and release the source code, we will all still be here, it's not such a long time. And maybe he'll have some nice surprises ready by that time. :p

Isn´t the MAME emulator a whole case study of copyright violations ?

I would like to know Namco, Sega, Taito, SNK, etc, opinion to Haze complaints.
reverse enginer anyone?

I really admire Mame team, its a remarkable piece of work, a milestone in computing, videogame and Internet history, but I think this time they got a touch of what is being "on the other side". And I think they could have taken it more lightly.

Anyway... thumbs up to Mame Team and to Franxis

"then you aren't permitted to post the binary" :huh:

Johndifo posted on Mar 22 2005 at 01:03 AM said:
Isn´t the MAME emulator a whole case study of copyright violations ?

I would like to know Namco, Sega, Taito, SNK, etc, opinion to Haze complaints.
reverse enginer anyone?

I really admire Mame team, its a remarkable piece of work, a milestone in computing, videogame and Internet history, but I think this time they got a touch of what is being "on the other side". And I think they could have taken it more lightly.

Anyway... thumbs up to Mame Team and to Franxis

"then you aren't permitted to post the binary" :huh:

Reverse engineering is not illegal. Nor is emulation illegal. MAME is not illegal - what's illegal are (most) ROM images, and MAME doesn't include any. That's up to the end user. MAME is like a pipe - you can legally own a pipe. What you smoke in that pipe... well that's another story. ;)

MAME is not the enemy here really. There is no enemy. There would be _NO_ GPMAME at all if not for MAMEdev, so just respect the situation for what it is and wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twinbee posted on Mar 22 2005 at 01:11 AM said:
I could've sworn I read on the official forums, that mame wasn't completely 'open source'...

These sections from the MAME license pretty well explain things:

IV. Source Code Distribution
----------------------------
If you distribute the binary (compiled) version of MAME, you should also
distribute the source code. If you can't do that, you must provide a link
to a site where the source can be obtained.

V. Distribution Integrity
-------------------------
This chapter applies to the official MAME distribution. See below for
limitations on the distribution of derivative works.
MAME must be distributed only in the original archives. You are not allowed
to distribute a modified version, nor to remove and/or add files to the
archive.

VI. Reuse of Source Code
--------------------------
This chapter might not apply to specific portions of MAME (e.g. CPU
emulators) which bear different copyright notices.
The source code cannot be used in a commercial product without the written
authorization of the authors. Use in non-commercial products is allowed, and
indeed encouraged. If you use portions of the MAME source code in your
program, however, you must make the full source code freely available as
well.
Usage of the _information_ contained in the source code is free for any use.
However, given the amount of time and energy it took to collect this
information, if you find new information we would appreciate if you made it
freely available as well.

VII. Derivative Works
---------------------
Derivative works are allowed, provided their source code is freely
available. However, these works are discouraged. MAME is a continuously-
-evolving project. It is in your best interests to submit your contributions
to the MAME development team, so they may be integrated into the main
distribution.
There are some specific modifications to the source code which go against
the spirit of the project. They are NOT considered a derivative work, and
distribution of executables containing them is strictly forbidden. Such
modifications include, but are not limited to:
- enabling games that are disabled
- changing the ROM verification commands so that they report missing games
- removing the startup information screens
If you make a derivative work, you are not allowed to call it MAME. You must
use a different name to make clear that it is a MAME derivative, not an
official distribution from the MAME team. Simply calling it MAME followed or
preceded by a punctuation mark (e.g. MAME+) is not sufficient. The name must
be clearly distinct (e.g. REMAME). The version number must also match the
number of the official MAME version from which you derived your version.

I need to do a little bit more research into it then.

I stand corrected. :huh:

I always seem to think GPL whenever I hear open source. GPL is open source, but everything open source isn't always GPL... :blink:

Though if i'm wrong, i'm going to be wondering these next few weeks where on gods earth I heard that whole 'not open source, source available' thing from.

Prophet posted on Mar 22 2005 at 01:15 AM said:
Reverse engineering is not illegal. Nor is emulation illegal. MAME is not illegal - what's illegal are (most) ROM images, and MAME doesn't include any. That's up to the end user. MAME is like a pipe - you can legally own a pipe. What you smoke in that pipe... well that's another story. ;)

MAME is not the enemy here really. There is no enemy. There would be _NO_ GPMAME at all if not for MAMEdev, so just respect the situation for what it is and wait.

I respect the situation, and I agree with you about Mame Team, I still think that the courtesy of Franxis kindly asking permission for their port should have got a more nice anwser like:

"Good work Franxis, but note that as soon as you complete your work you MUST release the source code, if you need any help please dont hesitate contacting us"

I suppose that emulation can be a copyright violation. Look at that ill fated Zodiac GBA emulator. Nintendo pulled the hammer on them.

I found an interesting paper on the subject:
Use of a Game Over: Emulation and the Video Game Industry, A White Paper

I don't know the exact situation here... but my advice is...

Franxis, If this is a university project, then *protect that first*

any MAME source code releases due to legal stuff can be sorted out later.

remove the binary... do whatever the fuck you have to, but If it's going towards a final grade, then consider that your first priority...

legal cases can take years, and have a lot of chances to appeal... universities can just be plain dicks sometimes... I know who I'd rather fight with :S

Hey Franxis,

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'm a little confused if you were contacted first, or if you contacted them first. In either case, I'm sure everyone doesn't mind if you work on it another 2 months before the next release. I'm sure that there will be many improvements, and I for one am looking forward to both the binary and the source.

Dunno, I'm still pissed off. Considering the work Franxis has put into this, the sheer audacity of saying "soon isn't good enough" and "i'll check again in a few days, if there is no source the hosting company will be contacted and a request will be made to remove the files." smacks of spoilsportness.
Yep, Franxis' education comes first of course (duh) but why should he even be placed in that position by devvers who aren't even interested in our platform?
I love Mame, I've had it since .37 but whoever this jerk is should pull his head in.

And we should do our best to distribute GPMame.

Man, I NEVER thought I'd say it, but Mame has become the Borg.

Yes, but the Borg say "We are the Borg, you will be assimilated".MAME says "We are MAME, you will be annihilated". We tried to assimilate, but no... :blink: What came over me :lol:

"they own the rights to it".. not true as there is no "they" per se.. no "MAME team" who owns anything. If memory serves (had to click through the mental cobwebs, been a few years) its the MAME license; they certainly don't own the code I contributed to it.. its my code and under the MAME license. Its still in there anyway for instance.

Anyway, there is alicense on it and Franxis has to abide by it.. defending it is okay since thems the breaks; really, if someone ports they shoudl release source, since of course they're building the work on the work of hundreds of other peoples.. so one can't call the MAME contributors asses :)

However, it is bad timing for sure, but Franxis has the right idea to follow the license and also fulfill his needs.

Franxis -- don't take any crap; you do your time for what you want to do, hell with everyone else :)

jeff

alyinsanfran posted on Mar 21 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
Dunno, I'm still pissed off. Considering the work Franxis has put into this, the sheer audacity of saying "soon isn't good enough" and "i'll check again in a few days, if there is no source the hosting company will be contacted and a request will be made to remove the files." smacks of spoilsportness.
Yep, Franxis' education comes first of course (duh) but why should he even be placed in that position by devvers who aren't even interested in our platform?
I love Mame, I've had it since .37 but whoever this jerk is should pull his head in.

And we should do our best to distribute GPMame.

Man, I NEVER thought I'd say it, but Mame has become the Borg.

Remember, Franxis is likely theone breaking the rules; it may be unfortunate sometimes, but the licneses are in there for reasons; the gP32 has a *lot* of projects that are violating the licenses, which is sometimes a good thing since you get to play with stuff, but in the logn run its bad since usually those projects go unsupported after awhile. Regardless of whethor it makes people happy or not, its not up to the porter to break the license terms.

So support Franxis, but don't be jerks in response, since really.. its all borrowing other peoples work.

jeff

Back