Mame Gp32 Bad News :-(...

moz posted on Mar 21 2005 at 09:12 PM said:
hey man whatever you do, im sure us minions of gp32x support you 100%

Agreed. Anyway, iin two months time, it will be even better. Good things come to those who wait!

Franxis, you've brought one of the coolest things to hit the GP32 and what we have now is fantastic and will keep me (and i'm sure loads of others) happy for ages!

cheers, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Phew just grabbed the latest release from GP32x file archive before its takes off :D

The Emulator is Excellent :D

Cool release, just picked it up in time! Man, I love Joust!
Shame about having to take it down eh? still back to Joust, these emus rock!

The real quesiton is easy..

1) Are you not allowed by the school to release the work at all until it is completed? (That is weird.. they do not own it, so they have no ability to control it. If they claim to own it, you have a bigger problem since they cannot own GPL'd work.)

2) The GPL specifies that the source has to be available on request; are you allowed to distribute it to individuals? The source needn't be posted for the public if memory serveds, as long as it is available to the public on demand.

Its up to your school rules really; if you are not permitted distribution by some reaosn, then the bin shouldnt' be released as per GPL rules. (ie: Freedom to edit)

But I wonder what rules the school has to not permit you to release your own work. Odd, but don't mess with your degree.. protect it, even if its being stupid :) (Engineers do like open things, so this must be for some good reason.)

So take care, but I am curious what the reasons are :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Mar 21 2005 at 10:04 PM said:

1) Are you not allowed by the school to release the work at all until it is completed? (That is weird.. they do not own it, so they have no ability to control it. If they claim to own it, you have a bigger problem since they cannot own GPL'd work.)

2) The GPL specifies that the source has to be available on request; are you allowed to distribute it to individuals? The source needn't be posted for the public if memory serveds, as long as it is available to the public on demand.

Its up to your school rules really; if you are not permitted distribution by some reaosn, then the bin shouldnt' be released as per GPL rules. (ie: Freedom to edit)

But I wonder what rules the school has to not permit you to release your own work. Odd, but don't mess with your degree.. protect it, even if its being stupid :) (Engineers do like open things, so this must be for some good reason.)

jeff

1. The university does NOT own MAME work. I only have to finish the documentation of the project, i will show the results to the university and the university will be happy (and me too xD).

2. I can NOT distribute source code because the university could think that port work isn't mine. After the project would be finished, i'm able to release the source code on Internet to EVERYBODY.

3. Maybe i'm wrong, but i'm only cautious...

4. I'm surprised how many people are interested in my port source code... I'm also surprised with the own MAME port. I don't know why MAME port for GP32 has not been done before. I expected a lot of problems, but MAME porting problems are not so big, major problems has been caused to own GP32 and its cute design...

5. Maybe i should leave GP32 scene for a while until the project for the university has been done... because i have been answered unpleasant messages in other MAME forums today :angry: ... Somebody told me "lamer" to use MAME port as an university project. <_<

But I'm not angry, please forgive my bad english but i'm trying to do my best with it...

Regards.

Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place, but I understand the decision should be to take it down untill you finish your project. You have every right to protect the sourcecode that you produced untill you have the chance to display it at your own convience. Even if you and GP32x took it down today there'd still be a few copies in circulation.

You've done great work so far, more than many would have hoped for. Take the couple of months you need, get the documentation completed so you can hand in your project and get a grade then come back with a better version for us! We should be ready for it by then. :D

The guy who called you a lamer is probably just jealous he didn't think of the idea first.

@Skeezix - MAME isn't GPL'd. :)

There was a big discussion a long time ago on the official MAME boards about this, in the current MAME source all GPL related files have been completely removed.

I believe this is actually the same for all the older revisions aswell, despite the fact that it was once under the GPL.

It isn't open source. It's 'Source available'.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Keep up the good work and release it when your good and ready.

As for this, "soon isn't good enough. the source must be released with the binary or its an illegal distribution.

i'll check again in a few days, if there is no source the hosting company will be contacted and a request will be made to remove the files."

Talk about heavy handed they could have been a little more polite about it. Also ignore idiots like the guy who called you a lamer they are simply jealous of your work.

Franxis posted on Mar 21 2005 at 10:24 PM said:
5. Maybe i should leave GP32 scene for a while until the project for the university has been done... because i have been answered unpleasant messages in other MAME forums today  :angry: ... Somebody told me "lamer" to use MAME port as an university project.  <_<

Tell them to fuck off. There just pissed that they cant code at all.
btw nice emu.

Bourbon

Hey that's cool, take your time you need to finish your uni project and then release the source code. Hopefully by then you'll have a better version to release too.

Maybe until then, if you want to make it better but need it tested, maybe you could do what Reesy does, just release beta versions to a few select people.

Franxis,

When I saw bad news I thought you would stop working on it. Which is definitely not the case. And the whole situation does not look bad at all - actually, I think it will even benefit you as you won't have any pressure from the community. Until you graduate, that is :)
Thanks for the work you are doing!

Franxis posted on Mar 21 2005 at 10:24 PM said:
skeezix posted on Mar 21 2005 at 10:04 PM said:

jeff

1. The university does NOT own MAME work. I only have to finish the documentation of the project, i will show the results to the university and the university will be happy (and me too xD).

2. I can NOT distribute source code because the university could think that port work isn't mine. After the project would be finished, i'm able to release the source code on Internet to EVERYBODY.

3. Maybe i'm wrong, but i'm only cautious...

4. I'm surprised how many people are interested in my port source code... I'm also surprised with the own MAME port. I don't know why MAME port for GP32 has not been done before. I expected a lot of problems, but MAME porting problems are not so big, major problems has been caused to own GP32 and its cute design...

5. Maybe i should leave GP32 scene for a while until the project for the university has been done... because i have been answered unpleasant messages in other MAME forums today :angry: ... Somebody told me "lamer" to use MAME port as an university project. <_<

But I'm not angry, please forgive my bad english but i'm trying to do my best with it...

Regards.

Wow the MAME team are a bunch of assholes. Why would they give a shit about the GP32 version anyway, they care about it on the PC. No one is going to do anything with the GP32 version anyway, it is not like people are clamoring for the source so they can make their own GP32 version or something. These guys , plus the "lamer guy" are complete jerks, they can all go and fuck themselves.

They can bite me. If anyone needs the MAME binary I will give it to you in an e-mail, just ask.

Seeing as I managed to somehow miss this out in my last post, i'll say it now.

To be honest, a new version would be worth waiting more than 2 months for. :) I wish you luck with the university project, though it is a huge shame that you've had to take the binary down.

While it may be unrelated, MAMEDev have had a lot of trademark problems recently, and now that they actually own MAME as a legal trademark, they've got a lot more responsibility on them now. I think further distribution is completely illegal unless bundled with source code.

As I said... I may be talking complete crap, and the whole trademark issue could have absolutely nothing to do with this, but that's what I understand. :blink:

alyinsanfran posted on Mar 22 2005 at 01:12 AM said:
DaveC I'm with you on this. So much for the freedom of the open-source movement. These pricks sound more like Microsoft.

:angry:
MAME was never open source. It was 'source available'. It's not GPL, and they own legal rights to it.

While they could've been a little less harsh with the e-mails and the posting on boards, they are unfortunately right.

Back